About to hit above my weight finally

davidro

Lunatic Member
Audio-Technica-AT50ANV-cartridge.jpg

That AT looks good, too. What is it about that intrigues you?

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Sweet!!! Keep us posted if you get it and your impressions. Love my OC9ML/II but yea been window shopping for higher up. The AT33SA looks really nice with the shibata stylus.....But too new cannot find any reviews.

Early this morning was reading up on the Lyra Delos.....man at $1600 beans is a lot of coin. But I did find a store demo for $1200, still not ready for a new cart yet. If I save about $30 a week for a year will have the cash for one...

Well isn't that sweet, get her mounted and a nice photo on your deck. Then you can sit back and listen.:D

Sweet!!! Keep us posted if you get it and your impressions. Love my OC9ML/II but yea been window shopping for higher up. The AT33SA looks really nice with the shibata stylus.....But too new cannot find any reviews.

Early this morning was reading up on the Lyra Delos.....man at $1600 beans is a lot of coin. But I did find a store demo for $1200, still not ready for a new cart yet. If I save about $30 a week for a year will have the cash for one...

Thanks. Yeah the Delos sounds like a good cartridge.
I also wanted to try even a secondhand example. But I'm getting a bit of deal for this AT.

Look forward to seeing how much better it might be over the Denon 301mk2.

looks similar to my 33EV, with a shibata stylus. You should love it. May have some moments getting setup right, but once you do......:music:

Interested in your thoughts when you get a few hours on it. I went from a Denon DL-103r to a Sumiko Blackbird but I cant quite find the cart that lines up with my phono setup. I was looking at Grado or Lyra for my next possible option but maybe AT needs a peek.

Considering I have about $1,000 in my whole system that cartridge would be worth more than my whole system..

Would love to hear it sing...

looks similar to my 33EV, with a shibata stylus. You should love it. May have some moments getting setup right, but once you do......:music:

The setup wasn't as difficult as I initially guessed, except that my Rega arm's just not an easy one to work on! One thing I noticed is that the cartridge body is so protruded that it may potentially make the effective arm length longer than usual.

Interested in your thoughts when you get a few hours on it. I went from a Denon DL-103r to a Sumiko Blackbird but I cant quite find the cart that lines up with my phono setup. I was looking at Grado or Lyra for my next possible option but maybe AT needs a peek.

This cartridge is new so I will definitely need a few more hours before forming a view. So far I quite like it. A similar impression I had when I first had Usher Tiny Dancer speakers with their Diamond Tweeters.

I've upgraded from DL-301mk2. The seller mentioned to me that he has a Lyra Skala and this AT is on par with the Lyra. The idea that cemented my decision was, other than that it was a good deal, that Denons and ATs tend to be great value for money. No frills just good stuff they use and the expertise, ya know.

Considering I have about $1,000 in my whole system that cartridge would be worth more than my whole system..

Would love to hear it sing...

And investing this kind of coin on transducers definitely yield a substantial result!

Despite being a good deal, a lot of potential buyers gave up on it because its output is killer low.
Fortunately, my Jasmine phono has 70dB gain, and it proved to be high enough for this cartridge.

Last edited:
I hear ya cubs. You can use the money elsewhere that way :smoke:

Digital holds no overwhelming interest for me.
I don't feel that I need to achieve a SOTA level with the digital.
This means I can focus on vinyl for ultimate SQ from the source gear.

So the seller's opinion was the AT50ANV was on par with a Lyra Skala? Sounds very promising, I have never heard a Skala.
Good your Jasmine goes that high on gain...0.12mV is teeny-tiny :D

The KAB phono amp calculator states 69dB as optimum gain for 0.12 output.

Look forward to more impressions as you get a feel for it.

Cheers

Me neither...I asked him how he'd compare it against say Lyra Delos, which was the cart I've been considering. But he was honest enough to say he can't comment since he's never heard the Delos. But I'm sure the Skala can do things the AT can't.

This doesn't necessarily surprise me since the Denons & ATs tend to be more bang-for-bucks with the less prestige status than say other more boutique labels.

Good to know the recommended gain is 69dB. The Jasmine hits 70dB. I'm impressed how versatile this phono is! Good to know that I don't have to spend more money on another SUT :D

I like it is teeny-tiny output. This often ensures better SQ with LOMCs.

My OC9ML/II is a 0.4mv output, I have the gain set at 58.4dB, as KAB says 58 is optimal. I was at 60dB and I do say the SQ is pretty amazing.

Biggest thing I find with these MCs with microline, line contact and shibata is the setup needs to be spot on....Very finicky if you are off kilter a smidge.

I have a year to figure out my next cart unless I run up against a deal.....

That AT looks good, too. What is it about that intrigues you?

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk 2

Actually I think these cartridges are variants, or relatives of each other. The ANV50 I believe is out of production while the ART 7 is available only in Japan and Europe.

Both look to use a non-magnetic generator assembly, and the armature is made from a liquid crystal polymer. Both cartridges have low out voltage, about .13 mV. I just saw that the ART 7 is the successor to the ANV50. Off EBAY the ART 7 can be had for about $820 US, which seems reasonable to me.

Regards
Mister Pig

Back
Top Bottom