Forgive me here......

Donkey Karma

I generally hate these types of posts... The "who's the best?"

I recently refer-bushed a pair of Infinity QB's and gutted an unsavable pair of QA's. I was pleasantly after spending some time in front of the QB's. I have repaired many pairs of speakers over the years, and few of this genre(vintage books) and there have been few that I have really enjoyed as much as these EMIT equipped QB's and the upper half of their presentation.

I have tried to dewey decimal this out with a fair amount of Google due diligence before I ask this question. Mostly Bobby Shred continues to dominate the outcome. His hard work and obvious love for the Infinity Badge is very helpful, a great read and greatly appreciated.

Still before I begin the $ investment, mild obsession of xtad, ebay etc... I was hoping to add more models of the EMIT equipped models of bookshelf's to inventory. I wanted to ask a question

Out of the EMIT generation of Infinity Bookshelves Speakers is there Model/Series that is regarded the "best of the best" of it's counterparts?

Q5's, RSB's, RS7's, RSM's, RS1.5's, Kappa's........ There are quite a few models and any sort of head start would be greatly appreciated!

as far as bookshelves go...

I like the RSe's...

The original modulus with the EMIT K is probably the best small speaker they ever made...

My pair of RS5b's are delightful sounding speakers. They have the Samarium Cobalt EMIT drivers (whichever edition that was), Polydome mids, and a great 10" bass driver. I was very content with them, but they got retired to storage when my RS 2.5's arrived.

I had a series of RS floor standers I refoamed with the twin poly woofers per cabinet. Not the RS5'S but the drivers appear to be indentical. No bezeling on the front corners, smooth curves. I do not remember their model number?

They did not appear to be as "lively" as the QB's, maybe memory/ears are cloudy?

But they were floor standing and would not work in my office either way.

I am in the midst of mapping out a build with Gen 1 EMIT's and Dynaco A25 drivers.

Specs for dynaco cab's are in the que and about to be cut. XXovers will be the next step. That will involve trail and error for the EMIT caps. Aperiodic ports will be moved to the back to help accommodate the addition of the EMIT's.

I have had the drivers collecting dust and with the wide and rich sound stage of the Dyanco's I envision a really nice combination with the EMIT's. Will not know until their together. If not I have the drivers and it will be a low $$ experiment.

RS 1.5! The best of the "smaller" Infinitys.

I agree but what qualifies as a "bookshelf" speaker? The models that aren't made specifically for floor standing? IMO the RS 1.5 are floor speakers that need stands and proper placement with space around them to perform properly. A strong amp driving them, too.

The 6 Kappa should be very close to the top of the list with lower power requirements and excellent performance potential.

OP: Bobby Shred's is a good fan site but you'll find more useful information at Infinity Classics. Perusing will help you remember what RS model it was you use to have.

I didn't say it was a great price, just showing the pic...

you guys must have bigger bookshelves than i do...

The Qe is 18" tall and was designed to stand or lay down if you turned the tweeter. Probably the closest thing to a book shelf they made. There were some awful RS 1000 - 3000's that you don't want.
You really need to give us some dimensions you consider "bookshelf" size. The problem is that even the smaller Infinity speakers were designed to be on stands, placed in the best location to achieve the best sound from them. I don't think Arnie really ever designed anything to be specifically a bookshelf speaker, maybe the Qe's and InfiniTesimals.
With that said, I had a pair of RS6's in a book case when I first started collecting vintage gear (small office). The top end was great of course but the 8" woofer didn't go low enough for my taste. So I found a set of RSb's, 10" woofer placed on the same shelf (luckily I built the book case to be adjustable and it was very deep), and they were so much better than the RS6's. Well, as all Infinity lovers know, bigger is better and so I moved up to RSM's, 12" woofer. I also moved so I didn't have to stuff them in the book case. They are out in the room where they belong and sound awesome.
I would look at RS 4000 and 5000, Kappa 6, RS 5, 6, 7, 8, RSb and e and Qe. Of course if you have the money the InfiniTesimals (modulus) with a good sub would probably be the way I would go in a small office now. Those that are on sale on the bay posted above are great. I have dealt with Magicmarksy (Michael Marks) before. He is a true gentleman and he takes any reasonable offer on his gear. Don't insult him with a low ball.

JMO, the audio definition of "bookshelf" sized speakers has changed in the last several years.
Back in the day, if they weren't floor standers they were considered "bookshelf".
Now days there's floor standers, stands necessary/needed, and bookshelf type classifications.
The larger classic "bookshelf" Infinities would now fall into the stands necessary/needed classification.

Again, just my opinion.

My intention was not to unlock of the open ended debates i.e. official definition of a bookshelf, do high dollar caps make a difference, merits of speaker cables etc.....

I realize my vision of a bookshelf may be flawed and mostly based on my history and experiences.

That said wwiztab thank you for the input/knowledge!

Thanks to a mistype on a CL listing I happened across a very nicely priced pair of what appears to be pristine Kappa 6's that went undiscovered.

I will be auditioning tomorrow.

Thanks to the wisdom of the vaunted Infinity crew here on AK I am expecting good results.

TY!

Yes, the Modulus IS Arnie's greatest SMALL achievement. Price was no object in the original design and why they cost so much. Not saying these are the end all to be all, there are definitely better Infinity speakers, just not in this size. When paired with the matching sub they're almost impossible to beat at any price up to their output limit.

Yes, the Modulus IS Arnie's greatest SMALL achievement. Price was no object in the original design and why they cost so much. Not saying these are the end all to be all, there are definitely better Infinity speakers, just not in this size. When paired with the matching sub they're almost impossible to beat at any price up to their output limit.

I look forward to one day having the opportunity to get in front of a pair of Modulus'. Unfortunately I just never run across any...

Donkey Karma, briefly going off topic. Your avatar is John Tesh's face on Mary Hart's head? Or one of the other 1980s moussed-up women from Entertainment Tonight back in the day?

It's creeping me out, man. :para:

Edit: Yeah, it is. I just found the Mary Hart portrait used in the pic on the web. Back to the OP.

Last edited:
Donkey Karma, briefly going off topic. Your avatar is John Tesh's face on Mary Hart's head? Or one of the other 1980s moussed-up women from Entertainment Tonight back in the day?

It's creeping me out, man. :para:

Edit: Yeah, it is. I just found the Mary Hart portrait used in the pic on the web. Back to the OP.

Lol! I thought it was obvious. Shoulder pads themselves were a no brainier.

I either way double threat John Teshhart owns you!

Spent some time with the 6 Kappas. This is to "my" ears. Very clear (emit k goodness), detailed, accurate. Just seemed, at least in the temporary environment they were setup, they were emotionless. Flat. I will be listening to them again. He also had a pair of Quantum 5's in the corner. True vintage bookie royalty.

Back
Top Bottom