Home Made Venison Summer Sausage..

similost

Rockin and Rollin....
I thought I'd show ya'll what I've been up to.. Made this with the first deer I got this year... I still got plenty of more meat from that one to make more, and I got a second deer tonight, so I"m gonna be a sausage makin fool.. OH and jerky too :D

Anyway, I found a recipe that sounded really good so I gave it a whirl.. I built a smokehouse and got just about the perfect level of smoke on these sticks. Hickory, Apple and Oak.. They weight a tad over 2 pounds each.. they're 2 feet long..

Now that it's a proven recipe, I can make a bunch up. One of the locals said it was some of the best deer sausage he's ever had... Of course, most out here don't make summer sausage, they make more like a salami... Good to hear I can make some of the best deer sausage the local hill people have had.. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN5127.jpg
    DSCN5127.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN5129.jpg
    DSCN5129.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN5132.jpg
    DSCN5132.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN5136.jpg
    DSCN5136.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN5137.jpg
    DSCN5137.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN5140.jpg
    DSCN5140.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 68
Thanks... it actually is some really fine eatin'. I really did surprise myself how good it came out... I used 6 and a half pounds of deer, and right at about 4 pounds of pork picnic roast.. or a front shoulder...

This recipe uses buttermilk and cane sugar to ferment a few days to give it a real nice tang like a summer sausage should have..

I am going to adjust the spices a little.. We felt they could have been just a tad more on a couple of them... but other wise, my wife and I both agreed that it's better than any sausage we've ever bought. My buddy felt the same.. so I was pretty proud..

My wife wants some salami style too, so I"ll probably be making some of that up in a few weeks.. I plan to make up at least another 10 pounds of Summer... I'd like to have at least 10 pounds of breakfast sausage too. Need to find me a good recipe for some of that.. .Spicy sage sounds good... MMMMmmmmmm...

Looks great. I have been making venison summer sausage for the past 20 years or so using a kit from High Mountain Jerky Co. out of Wyoming. It's really good. I going to make a 15# batch from the next deer I shoot this year.

I've got some of their Jerky Mix.. Got a Cajun I can't wait to try..

I don't know though.. I bought the Jerky kits cause it's just easy.. but in all honesty, I've made Jerky that's been better than their kits... I can mix spices too.. .;)

Kinda the way I feel about the Sausage kits too... If you look around and read a lot of recipes, you can come up with some really great ideas for making something even better on your own..

The recipe I found was actually one made from a lot of other recipes, and I was actually writing one up that was very similar to the one I found and used..

Like I said, I've got some alterations to make to it that I think will make it even better, but for a base, it was a great starting point...

Looks excellent

Since you have a smoke house and sausage making ability and deer meet, here's a family favorite.

1/4 beef
1/4 lean pork
1/4 venison
1/4 fat pork (back fat, lard...smokes out)
salt
pepper
garlic
Pork casings

You want enough fat to coat your hands when you mix it and enough pepper to see flakes in the fat on your hands.

You want about 1 head of garlic per 4-5 pounds of meat.

Smoke well.

Boil in fry pan until water evaporates and let fry a tad.

Slice leftover (if any) and fry open face down, then a little on the back.

James, you may have found your niche!

I've kinda known where it's been, I just had to get away from the fast life so I could finally live it and fit into it..

Smoked meats has always been one of my favorite things to do...

I can't wait to start butchering my pigs and turning them into sausage and hams and bacon.. pork chops on the hoof..

Back
Top Bottom