Proud new owner: Marantz 2285B

sbaradaran

$360 later and I've made the plunge into solid state. I couldn't pass up on this component because it was in too nice of condition. Although the price was a little high I think it will keep its value if not increase.

Have yet to get it all setup, but below is a pic of it powered on. Loving the sexy blue lights.

take a screenshot

Next step for me is a proper DAC so I can run the TV and Chromecast through it. What are the solid state folks using for DACs? I have my eye on a few below:

Musical Fidelity V90
http://www.musicalfidelity.com/v90-dac

Cambridge Audio DAC Magic
http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/cambridge_audio_azur_dacmagic_da_converter/index.html

Wow, that's a beauty! I can't imagine what that would cost new today. I would be proud to have that in my system. You did good, it's clean.

BillWojo

Man oh man does that ever look like it is in great shape, you did really well with that purchase. I would have paid what you did for that in a heartbeat. Enjoy.

Amazing receiver!!!
I've got the 2285 and must admit your 'B' edges it in the looks dept!!!
I wonder how they compare soundwise?

Just like mine.Has it been restored? $360 is a good deal on that.

The guy I bought from is an audio junkie and told me that some stuff was restored. I think he mentioned the filter caps were replaced. But it is really cleeeeeean. Can't wait to fire this baby up.

Now if I could only find a Marantz 6300 turntable to go with it...

Last edited:
That's a solid score. I love mine. I find it to be great as a headphone amp. Through the loudspeakers it's good too. I use it mainly as my vinyl rig.

What are your plans for it?

392A5ABD-4606-4620-B0C1-66E01C2B14C9_zpsxmcmfthc.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats. You got a good deal. I used to have a pair of them. One had the three piece wood suit, which thought was flimsy and it is. The wrap around case looks much better.

Amazing receiver!!!
I've got the 2285 and must admit your 'B' edges it in the looks dept!!!
I wonder how they compare soundwise?

The 2285/2330 non-B series never looked right to my eyes. However, the build and sound are the best of all. I had a 2285 and 2285B and the winner was easy to see and hear. Must be the dual core caps.:scratch2:

That's a solid score. I love mine. I find it to be great as a headphone amp. Through the loudspeakers it's good too. I use it mainly as my vinyl rig.

What are your plans for it?

392A5ABD-4606-4620-B0C1-66E01C2B14C9_zpsxmcmfthc.jpg

Nice setup!

I plan on it replacing my current Yamaha A/V Reciever in my audio and HT setup. Although not ideal, I live in a smallish apt so multiple setups is not possible. As soon as I get the right DAC its going to be connected to my TV for digital audio and general HT needs. Also running a turntable. I've got A speakers in the living room and B wall mounted in the adjacent kitchen.

Any concerns running all 4 speakers at once? Both are reasonably high efficiency.

Nice setup!

I plan on it replacing my current Yamaha A/V Reciever in my audio and HT setup. Although not ideal, I live in a smallish apt so multiple setups is not possible. As soon as I get the right DAC its going to be connected to my TV for digital audio and general HT needs. Also running a turntable. I've got A speakers in the living room and B wall mounted in the adjacent kitchen.

Any concerns running all 4 speakers at once? Both are reasonably high efficiency.

Thanks.

I've never run but a single pair of loudspeakers connected to mine. However, I highly doubt it should be a concern as I've done it other with solid state receivers with no issues.

Last edited:
Yes, good idea- that TT is not worth half of that, especially with the fact it has been shipped at some stage with the platter on (see the damage on the lid from the strobe marks when it came off?)- TTs like that almost always have significant play in the main bearing as that particular motor has a soft bearing sleeve and every 6300 I've seen or fixed had movement.

People buying themselves Christmas presents will pay stupid money at this time of year.

51 bids...I think i'm going to stay out of this one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom