Integrated? Marantz PM8005 vs15S2 & Yam AS2000

joekapahulu

Narrowing my search for a modern integrated and focused on Marantz PM8005 vs Marantz Pm15S2 vs. Yamaha AS2000. First question...is there a substantive benefit to getting the Marantz PM15S2 vs its newer sibling the PM8005? Anyone heard both? Secondarily, anyone have comments on the sound comparison between the PM15S2 and the Yamaha AS2000? All seem to have good reviews. I have only heard the 15S2 for a short time a few years back. I am going to be traveling for the Xmas holidays and want to be able to audition a few selections then buy one. These seem to have good names and performance, good build quality and good resale as well as a broad number of outlets for purchase and service if needed. I live in HI so I have no way to audition these unless I travel nor a repair source other than shipping to the Mnld. Thanks for any input.

I had one of the reference series Marantz integrateds, but I've never heard the units you have listed, so I can't be of any help. Maybe this bump will bring the question to the eyes of someone who can help. Good luck.

Same here i prefer Marantz over Yamaha, as far it goes with PM8005 vs PM15S2 first belongs to "let`s call it medium range" the other one is "premium" so does the price. To be honest i would go with PM8005 it`s big price difference and i doubt PM15S2 can sound that better !
Note i only heard PM8005, so i can`t make clear comparison but what i heard made me want that amp badly (warm, tight, big sound.....) !

secretguy...such as?

Curious about the other units you would suggest? Key consideration is I live in Hawaii so if it needs repair it gets shipped. The closer available services are the less it costs. Minimum is $100 eaci way.

Just offhand, NAD 375bee and Musical Fidelity...I think it's the 3...come to mind. Plus all the used stuff you could get at those prices.

To the OP: I just bought a used Yamaha A-S2000. I won't have chance to hook it up and listen until at least tomorrow night. After I do, I'll post my impressions in the equipment review forum.

Are you into tubes? The Cary SLI-80 Sig F1 I use goes or something around $3K, used, give or take a few $100. It is a 'tube-rollers delight', if you think you might be into that. The Rogue audio integrated amps also get excellent reviews and are made in the USA (like Cary) if that makes any difference to you. If either ever needs work then they go back to the factory rather than some unknown 'factory authorized' repair place.
That said, I just picked up a Marantz SA8004 CD/SACD player from a forum member and am very pleased with its sound/performance compared to the McIntosh MVP861 it replaced. I also checked out the Yamaha CD-S1000/2000/3000, but was a bit put off by all the 'factory refurbished' models that are available (why?), so decided to go with the Marantz and am happy with the result.

Marantz pm8005 purchased

I was able to hear a wide variety of amps over the holiday season while visiting with family in the Philly area. Really enjoyed the 8 hours at couple of dealers. I narrowed down to Cronus Magnum, Anthem, Marantz, a few others then settled on the pm8005 because I liked the sound, the flexible approach to tone {3 settings or direct), the ability to run 2 sets of speakers, the high current amp, the warranty and the preamp out.
I am still breaking it in but so far it sounds good out of the box. The detail is there, its not overly warm and it has no problems powering my Ohm Walsh 2-100s. Run side by side next to my Mac integrated it is a step up in resolution, transparency and should only get better.
I also listened extensively to speakers and got a pair of Kef R300s. It was between the LS50 and them. The R300 sounded marginally better and bigger than the LS50, deeper bass yet still had the midrange and highs of the LS50. Great speakers both.

Congrats on the purchase! My PM8003 is the most used amp in the house, and does a great job as the basis for the TV setup. It's hooked up to a pair of EPI M110s, and I've always wondered how it would do with better speakers, you experience is very useful.

One tip, if you use a Logitech harmony remote make sure you adjust the volume control repeats down as low as it will go, otherwise the volume steps may not be close enough to be really useful.

Back
Top Bottom