polarized power plug

Ground loops are often the fault of a problem in the systems of the house, not that the of equipment with grounding conductor. For example, faulty/poor bonding of the CATV service drop to the dwelling grounding system is not uncommon. This can result in ground loop problems. Devices with the grounding plug may cause that bonding problem to be revealed, but they didn't cause the bonding problem. Nor does use of two-prong plug make the root cause (the poor/faulty bond) go away.

As to the Code, generally it's about safety, not whether using equipment grounding causes noise in your stereo. If it does, maybe look to an underlying cause, not a cheater plug, et al. I'm not saying that is your implication, just making a general statement.

Exactly! :thmbsp:

Since we're discussing grounding here:

I have a multiple choice question for the members posting here. If I fill a bucket with water, plug a hand held hair dryer into a GFCI protected receptacle, then drop the hair dryer into the bucket what do you think will happen?

A) The hair dryer will act as a water pump.

B) The hair dryer will explode.

C) The GFCI will trip.

D) None of the above.

Last edited:
Kh:

A) maybe for a couple of seconds, until the water reaches the contacts inside the hairdrier...

B) rather not

C) also not really, as there would be no leakage current, unless it would be a bucket made of conductive material placed on a conductive and grounded surface...

D) yup - the fuse/circuit breaker should be triggered by the short circuit, as soon as the water reaches the contacts inside the hairdrier

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

kh:

A) maybe for a couple of seconds, until the water reaches the contacts inside the hairdrier...

B) rather not

c) also not really, as there would be no leakage current, unless it would be a bucket made of conductive material placed on a conductive and grounded surface...

D) yup - the fuse/circuit breaker should be triggered by the short circuit, as soon as the water reaches the contacts inside the hairdrier

greetings from munich!

Manfred / lini

+1, mostly, although depending on the conductivity of the water in the bucket (is it filled with distilled water ;) ) the breaker may not trip and it might sorta act like a pump for a fair bit of time.

Last edited:
Since we're discussing grounding here:

I have a multiple choice question for the members posting here. If I fill a bucket with water, plug a hand held hair dryer into a GFCI protected receptacle, then drop the hair dryer into the bucket what do you think will happen?

A) The hair dryer will act as a water pump.

B) The hair dryer will explode.

C) The GFCI will trip.

D) None of the above.

IMO, the answer is "C". The GFCI should trip before the dryer can start running ("A").

Kh:

I am highly doubtful the fuse/breaker will open. The current flow through water is not great enough, and will be "seen" by the fuse/breaker as a normal load.

+1, mostly, although depending on the conductivity of the water in the bucket (is it filled with distilled water ;) ) the breaker may not trip and it might sorta act like a pump for a fair bit of time.

Normal tap water is in the bucket.

This was a question posed to my students followed by a demonstration. We actually used a blow dryer with a GFCI built into the cord and also plugged into a GFCI protected receptacle. I'll give a few more members a chance before giving the answer.

Last edited:
If it's a plastic bucket, or a metal bucket sitting on a non-conductive surface, the GFCI won't trip. As there's no path for the electric current to go except the other pin of the 2 pin power plug.

If you didn't turn the hair dryer on, then "D". You didn't mention turning it on... Maybe some leakage across the open switch contacts.

If it's a plastic bucket, or a metal bucket sitting on a non-conductive surface, the GFCI won't trip. As there's no path for the electric current to go except the other pin of the 2 pin power plug.

If you didn't turn the hair dryer on, then "D". You didn't mention turning it on... Maybe some leakage across the open switch contacts.

Well, it couldn't act as a pump if not turned on, I figured that was a given with the information supplied.

And you are correct, the answer is A, the blow dryer pumped water like nobody's business, and when pulled from the water still running we then dried our hair, LOL. A GFCI will only trip if there is a difference in current flow on the ungrounded conductor as compared to the grounded conductor.

This bothers me as its become the norm now to use CPVC tubing instead of copper pipes which would be bonded. Without the pipes being copper and the use of non-metallic tubs what would happen if someone was bathing and an appliance fell into the tub energizing the water. There would be no danger until attempting to leave the tub and stepping on the tile floor, most people wouldn't understand the need to jump from the tub, and this in and of itself also poses a threat of falling.

Last edited:
Kh: Wow, right you are - and I've totally overestimated the conductivity of our tap water over here. I.e., even though the water here in Munich is supposed to be pretty mineralic, the measurement I just performed with the probes of the multimeter roundabout 5 mm from each other in a cup of tap water only showed a meagre result of roundabout 2 MOhm. So my guesstimation was off by roundabout factor 100000. *blush*

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

There will definately some debris more or less conductive because of contact burn inside a hairdryer switch already, and together with the water getting in the switch (it will not be an insulated switch in there) guess something might happen anyway?

Back to my earlier statement, the GFCI receptacle should trip as soon as the bather touches anything that's grounded, but who wants to test this theory with their body? Devices do fail, and they are designed to fail in the open position, but again, who here trusts this with their life.

Last edited:
Mythbusters did the hairdryer in the tub thing in which they outfitted a test dummy to measure current. Maybe it's on YouTube or NetFlix et al.

GFCI breakers and or receptacles are great, most likely 99.99999999% of the time will react quick enough to save your life, but it's back to the Dirty Harry question, "Do you feel lucky, well do ya punk". LOL

I feel much better knowing the fault current has another means to ground other than my body, and it's a copper conductor.

Last edited:
Ground faults in hifi are generally caused by having multiple components grounded to the electrical system's safety ground (not neutral) at multiple points. This induces eddy currents between components.

Additionally, if those ground wires are separated, forming an open loop, the loop will induce additional hum.

As for restoring vintage equipment, I wanted to keep the original line cord for a Fisher 600-T receiver but it is non polarized. The original circuit had the "death" cap from one side of the line to chassis and a high R resistor from the other line to chassis. The revised circuit has a cap that is X1Y1 rated (Digi-Key BC2379-ND, Vishay VY1472M63Y5UQ63V0) connected line to line with no connection to chassis. There is some leakage to the chassis due to capacitance in the power transformer.

The standard measurement appears to be connecting a 1500 ohm resistor in parallel with a 0.15 μf capacitor between the chassis and earth ground with NO other connections to the unit under test. Voltage between the chassis and ground should be less than 0.35 volts with any combination of plug orientation and power switch position. The unit meets that standard. However, there is no protection from an internal short in the transformer.

Measuring chassis to ground without the RC circuit, there is 94 volts or 6 volts depending on plug orientation using a sensitive digital meter. With a less sensitive analog meter, these voltages are 35 volts and 0 volts. Obviously, almost no current available. I did mark the plug with a piece of green tape to identify the orientation with less leakage.

I see that some posts here come from various parts of the world. Standards will vary by country.

Last edited:
Try this at home

After Franklin, came a herd of Electrical Pioneers whose names have become part of our electrical terminology: Myron Volt, Mary Louise Amp, James Watt, Bob Transformer, etc. These pioneers conducted many important electrical experiments. For example, in 1780 Luigi Galvani discovered that when he attached two different kinds of metal to the leg of a frog, and electrical current developed and the frog's leg kicked, even though it was no longer actually attached to the frog, which was dead anyway. Galvani's discovery led to enormous advances in the field of amphibian medicine. Today, skilled veterinary surgeons can take a frog that has been seriously injured or killed, implant pieces of metal in its muscles, and watch it hop back into the pond just like a normal frog, except for the fact that it sinks like a stone.

But the greatest Electrical Pioneer of all was Thomas Edison, who was a brilliant inventor despite the fact that he had little formal education and lived in New Jersey. Edison's first major invention, in 1877, was the phonograph, which could soon be found in thousands of American homes, where it basically just sat until 1923, when the record was invented. But Edison's greatest achievement came in 1879, when he invented the electric company. Edison's design was a brilliant adaptation of the simple electrical circuit: The electric company sends electricity through a wire to a customer, then immediately gets the electricity back through another wire, then (this is the brilliant part) sends it right back to the customer again. This means that an electric company can sell a customer the same batch of electricity thousands of times a day and never get caught, since very few consumers take the time to examine their electricity closely. In fact, the last year in which any new electricity was generated in the United States was 1937. The electric companies have been merely re-selling it ever since, which is why they have so much free time to apply for rate increases.

Today, thanks to men like Edison and Franklin, and frogs like Galvani's, we receive almost unlimited benefits from electricity. For example, in the past decade scientists developed the laser, an electronic appliance that emits a beam of light so powerful that it can vaporize a bulldozer 2,000 yards away, yet so precise that doctors can use it to perform delicate operations on the human eyeball, provided they remember to change the power setting from "VAPORIZE BULLDOZER" to "DELICATE."

Hilarious old post, but...
Kinda 'SHOCKING' that Tesla wasn't even mentioned, since Edison's DC approach was too dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom