Yamaha CR-1010 no relay click.

Raccoon1400

Yamaha CA-1010 no relay click.

No relay click but everything seems good. I tripped the relay by shorting the collector of the relay driver to ground and it played fine, offset was in check. Also, the other relay (for class A/B switching) doesn't click either. Unit is stuck in class A. Any ideas? Is there one thing that could explain both of these issues?

Last edited:
No relay click but everything seems good. I tripped the relay by shorting the collector of the relay driver to ground and it played fine, offset was in check. Also, the other relay (for class A/B switching) doesn't click either. Unit is stuck in class A. Any ideas? Is there one thing that could explain both of these issues?

Trouble shoot the protect circuit and the 12volt power supply for the relays .Most likely you have a dried out e-cap a bad solder connection..

Last edited:
Trouble shoot the protect circuit and the 12volt power supply for the relays .Most likely you have a dried out e-cap a bad solder connection..

I meant CA-1010 but typed CR.

I changed the relay driver transistor and a few caps in the protection circuit. Supply voltage to the relay measures 13V.
How does the relay next to the mains (class a/b switching relay?) get triggered? Not quite clear on that from the SM.

TR221 on the Tone control board and the front panel switch.

Last edited:
I changed the relay driver transistor and a few caps in the protection circuit

Did it take care of the protect relay issue ?

I changed the relay driver transistor and a few caps in the protection circuit. Supply voltage to the relay measures 13V.

Did you check the voltages of the relay driver transistor ? TR403 and 404 need to operate properly to pull one side of the relay coil to ground. To energize and "set" the protect relay.

Last edited:
Turns out I put the transistors in the wrong way! That fixed the signal relay. But the class A/B switching relay doesn't do anything still, and I replaced TR221, which is (now) in the correct way.

Turns out I put the transistors in the wrong way! That fixed the signal relay. But the class A/B switching relay doesn't do anything still, and I replaced TR221, which is (now) in the correct way.

Ohm out your front panel mode switch,Check the wiring going to TR221. Ohm out the relay coil for the mode switching.(A/AB)

Ohm out R267 ( 370 ohm 1watt)
Ohm out R269 ( 5.6K 1/4 watt )
Check flyback diode out of circuit D601 (1S1885)

Last edited:
Another thought... Check the relay contacts on the A/AB relay. Possibly welded or burnt off.

The relay is only getting 3.4V. Seems the transistor isn't turning on all the way. All resistors test good, but I replaced the 10K and the 5.6K. Supply voltage to the board is 11.5V. I can trip the relay by connecting this voltage directly to the relay.

Unit is stuck in class A

How much voltage on the B +/- at the big filter caps ? 22.5vdc (class A) 55vdc (class AB).

Does the small reed relay on the tone board stay "set" all the time ? It should. Did you check your relays flyback diode ?

How much voltage on the B +/- at the big filter caps ? 22.5vdc (class A) 55vdc (class AB).

Does the small reed relay on the tone board stay "set" all the time ? It should. Did you check your relays flyback diode ?

The voltages on the main caps are the class A voltages. I don't hear the tone relay click, maybe it is just quiet? How can I be sure?

I pulled the flyback diode and the relay still didn't click.

Have you tried by-passing the mode switch itself. Maybe the switch is just real dirty. Or TR221 is bad or incorrectly installed ie. bad solder or incorrect pin orientation. Check your voltages around TR221's pins and post your results.

Voltages on TR221: ECB 12, 3.5, 4.1V (when switch is in class B position)

I previously tried bypassing the switch but made no difference.

Back
Top Bottom