MC275 Tube roll

Having been messing with a tube headphone amp and my Dynaco ST-70 the choice of tubes definitely does have an impact. Of course the specific impact is all about opinion and preference (don't forget whatever impact worn out or newly replaced caps and resistors have). Of course tubes distort sound in different ways...that's kind of the point. I had originally been using JJ KT77s in my ST-70 but they kept roasting (a known issue with that specific JJ model) so I switched to Tung-Sol EL34s and the problem was solved. There is a difference in sound (the JJs were punchier and had a bit more low end) but I still like em...especially since I no longer walked into my living room to the sound or screeching and a cherry red tube from time to time.

I for one have a bunch of tubes lined up for my MC240 and MX110 when I get back from Afghanistan and get them rebuilt. Original McIntosh 6L6GCs (prolly worn out), SovTek KT66s, and some Re-Issue Gold Lion KT66s along with the original smaller tubes, some old NOS ones, and some new production ones. I kinda hope the MX110 has its original tube complement and was lightly used...we shall see. Scored the set on ebay back when I started this deployment and haven't even seen em yet. One more month :D

Having been messing with a tube headphone amp and my Dynaco ST-70 the choice of tubes definitely does have an impact. Of course the specific impact is all about opinion and preference (don't forget whatever impact worn out or newly replaced caps and resistors have). Of course tubes distort sound in different ways...that's kind of the point.

I for one have a bunch of tubes lined up for my MC240 and MX110 when I get back from Afghanistan and get them rebuilt. Original McIntosh 6L6GCs (prolly worn out), SovTek KT66s, and some Re-Issue Gold Lion KT66s along with the original smaller tubes, some old NOS ones, and some new production ones. I kinda hope the MX110 has its original tube complement and was lightly used...we shall see. Scored the set on ebay back when I started this deployment and haven't even seen em yet. One more month :D

Hey be safe and thank you will see you state side soon and taking photos of your new gear.:thmbsp:

Hey be safe and thank you will see you state side soon and taking photos of your new gear.:thmbsp:

More on the topic of the 275, aren't the supplied McIntosh tubes in the reissues simply relabeled Electro Harmonix tubes? Not saying they are bad, but I would definitely consider some reissue Gold Lion KT88s. Again this is all opinion, but the Gold Lions definitely have a good track record in both build quality and characteristics.

(don't forget whatever impact worn out or newly replaced caps and resistors have)
Your ears can separate the distortion caused by old caps and resistors from that of different brands of tubes occurring simultaneously ...and when the distortion is typically 1% or less? Wow!

Your ears can separate the distortion caused by old caps and resistors from that of different brands of tubes occurring simultaneously ...and when the distortion is typically 1% or less? Wow!

Capacitor performance is mesurable, the electrical characteristics of an ideal capacitor are well known.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Capacitor performance is mesurable, the electrical characteristics of an ideal capacitor are well known.

I was dealing with his ears. Hard to say 0.63% at 2500 Hz by listening to something.

I was dealing with his ears. Hard to say 0.63% at 2500 Hz by listening to something.

True and I got that, the implication is that some folk prefer less than perfect parts.

The re-issue Tung-Sol 6550's are really nice, and the price is really fantastic. I have used these in 6550 and KT88 applications and they are around $35 USD. For the price, they cannot be beat.

Please post your results when you do. I have a MC 240 running with the original Mac tubes and an Mx110 out with Terry for refurb. I've been looking for a set of 6L6CGs for the MC240 and have come close to pulling the trigger on the Gold Lion KT66s and or the Mullard re-issues for a while now. I'm holding onto my money until I here what Terry has to say about my MX110.

My ears? HA no. I can thank a tire exploding in my face for that.

I was referring to the more measurable issues like hum and noise anyway that could cloud or detract from any differences in the tubes...but of course you have bigger issues at that point.

My ears? HA no. I can thank a tire exploding in my face for that.

I appreciate that; Being right handed, lets just say I had a lot of repetitions sounds in my right ear in the early 70's. Being a musician with my instruments & speakers on my right for years before & afterward didn't help. I still think I hear more in music than most people; been playing it for 50+ years.

Back
Top Bottom