McIntosh in the movies.

Rich Andrews

I was looking at Roger Russell's site and he asks, "What are the names of the movies that you have seen with McIntosh equipment somewhere in the background?"

So far he has 3 submissions:

9 1/2 Weeks (1986) starring Mickey Rourke and Kim Basinger
As Good As It Gets (1997) starring Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt
What Lies Beneath (2000) Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfeiffer

Are there any others? I know there was a turntable in the movie "Tomb Raider". I think the TT was there to convey the idea of eccentricity and vast wealth.

Last edited:
I've been told that there was some McGear in High Fidelity with John Cusack. I don't remember seeing any the first time I saw it. I guess I know what my next rental will be.

Originally posted by Bill Allan
I've been told that there was some McGear in High Fidelity with John Cusack. I don't remember seeing any the first time I saw it. I guess I know what my next rental will be.

When he sits down at home to listen to a record there's definitely a Mac tube amp there on the cabinet. It's not by accident. John Cusak is a music lover, and he produced the film. If you liked the movie, the original book, by Nick Hornby, is excellent as well. Hornby also wrote the novel that the movie About A Boy was adapted from.

That is my MR78 in What Lies Beneath. They had it for over 4 months as they had the same set on both coasts and shipped the 78 back and forth. It has not shown to be haunted by the experience and does not change channels by itself.

Ron-C

I think I saw mac stuff really quick in a scene in a bedroom in the movie "Miami Vice" playing in theaters now. If someone can confirm this...

I want to say there was some gear in Mel Gibson's apartment in What Women Want, but not sure it was Mac stuff.

there's Mc gear IN ACTION in The Grateful Dead Movie, the recently released Jerry Garcia Band at Shoreline DVD, and most other video footage of the Dead as well...

I have several Dead dvds and a couple show the wall of sound with all those MC2500's and MC2600's.I got to see it live about 1973 or 74 at The Arena in St.louis.It was impressive but to be truthfull I had only seen one McIntosh system befor then and never knew they were Mac Amps until a few years down the road.

It's weird sometimes...

I'm watching the movie 'Serpico' with Al Pacino (1973) for the first time and there are some scenes that take place in his apartment and he's playing some classical music. It's shot in 1973 and it's got this old-school feel to it, not just his place but NYC as a whole. Anyway, he's playing his music and I instantly think of vintage McIntosh and how neat it would be if he was using some vintage equipment. Well, he is not but it turns his new girlfriend who lives next door IS!

Several scenes later, out of now where, I see in the background what looks like a C22 and I immediately hit PAUSE to get a better look, and sure enough it's got the tell-tale switches of that era Mc. Above that on the second shelf is a McIntosh tube amp which looks like it could be an MC75.

I don't know why but I got chills when I saw the Mc equipment. It's been a year and change since I've become a McIntosh owner and I am constantly on the look out for it, in real life and in the movies and I get the same reaction every time I spot it.

I know that I am not the only one, but does anyone care to explain why we react this way?

...back to the movie.

-Mike

In "The Departed" (2006) by Martin Scorsese there are several nice shots of a McIntosh setup, nice panning shot of the blue meters.

Actually...the setup plays an active part during a pivotal moment in the movie...but I cannot say what, or I would spoil the plot.

loved the movie...Martin's best...I hope he gets an Oscar for best director

Not only in Miami Vice, but also in The Departed (another Jack Nicholson film) in Matt Damon's apartment. It looks like a 6300 maybe and a 201 or 861. Can't really tell.

In "Akeelah and the Bee" Lawrence Fishburne has a McIntosh rig in his home office. My son caught it and we rewound the DVD to watch that part again!

Just saw 9 1/2 weeks (uncut version) and thus had to locate this thread again. Damn that was a weird movie but that Kim Basinger sure made it worthwhile! Her strippin to Joe Cocker's You can Leave your hat on played through a 2155 just made the movie! :banana:

I read an interview that was done with Tammy Wynette before she passed away. There were photos of her in her living room, with McIntosh gear custom installed in a beautiful cabinet on one wall.

Back
Top Bottom