What vintage silver Yamaha receiver/integrated amps are a safe bet?

Hanleyster

ambitious but rubbish
I would love to get an old Yamaha, they are beautiful.

I need one with a good amount of watts (like 60+) and it has to have those awesome needle gauges.

Any suggestions? Ones to avoid?

Thanks!

CA-810, 65wpc, meters, variable loudness. The phono section has MM and MC input. Sound awesome. :music:

For receivers, the CR X00 or X20 series are well recommended. The X40 series are nice also but do use modules for outputs instead of output transistors. I have a CR-840 which I love, but it does have power packs which some people don't care for and they are usually difficult to find if replacements are needed. They use modules for predrivers also, which are even harder to find.

I know you said receiver / integrated amp, but still, I think you should keep an eye out for a Yamaha P-2200 power amp. You can use almost anything as a preamp these days, while the P-2200 has the beautiful analog power meters and is built like a brick.

FWIW

I have 4 receivers/integrated and every one needed to be fixed.
I have worked on and fix 3 others.
I don't see them often and maybe I only see the broken ones for sale.

I know you said receiver / integrated amp, but still, I think you should keep an eye out for a Yamaha P-2200 power amp. You can use almost anything as a preamp these days, while the P-2200 has the beautiful analog power meters and is built like a brick.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 340 wpc is a shade too much for his JBL L46's. :D:scratch2:

Gorgeous amp, tho

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 340 wpc is a shade too much for his JBL L46's. :D:scratch2:

Power output is ultimately determined by the volume knob on the preamp. It won't put out "too much" power unless it's told to. I just tossed out the suggestion because I see these all the time, often for very cheap. They were popular pro amps during their day and many times you have schools, etc that used these amps, now upgrading their equipment, selling their old stuff off without even knowing what they have. That's how I got most of mine :)

Thank you!

I am actually picking up a pair of JBL L100t3 speakers to replace my L46s with!

Best amp I have right now is a Realistic STA-2200 but I dont really like the way it looks.. lol

CA-810, 1010 or 2010 would all be good choices IMO. The CA-800 and CA-1000 are also very nice amplifiers, but no meters and generally slightly less flashy cosmetics overall.

A CR-1020 or 2020 receiver's got it all, lotsa knobs, buttons, lights, and meters!

CR1020 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

At this late date, why not collect 'em all!

DSC_8052 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

;-)

Power output is ultimately determined by the volume knob on the preamp. It won't put out "too much" power unless it's told to. I just tossed out the suggestion because I see these all the time, often for very cheap. They were popular pro amps during their day and many times you have schools, etc that used these amps, now upgrading their equipment, selling their old stuff off without even knowing what they have. That's how I got most of mine :)

And yeah, those are great looking amps, and with care on that volume knob, no problems.

I routinely run far too much wattage to terribly small speakers, just don't get crazy with the volume, and all is well.

I LOVE (but don't yet own) the 1020, 2020, and dare I say the ever reclusive 3020 - X020 series. All three beautiful works of mechanical and audio engineering. The 3020 is HUGE, worth pulling up a picture off of Google just to see it.

One of the three is on my bucket list! Have an Akai AA 1150 that looks a lot like the Yamaha line, that I really enjoy. I love the silver Yamaha line! Good luck on your search.

Back
Top Bottom