McIntosh and Energy 22 Speakers

pcrosewood

Are the Energy Reference or Pro 22 speakers a good choice for McIntosh 2105 and MX 114 tuner/pre? There's a couple pair for sale locally and I'm tempted to give them a try. Anybody have any experience with these speakers with their McIntosh gear? Cheers.

I had forgotten I have a couple of those speakers. I need to get the tweeters rebuilt but I would think due to their sensitivity and high frequency range that they would make a good match with my MC240 when I get it sorted out.

I got the speakers very cheaply because the seller just wanted to get rid of stuff and one of the tweeters got gunked up. I since found out that they are considered pretty good. In fact I think the guy who still fixes the tweeters is much closer to you than he is to me!

There was a company in Halifax that rebuilt the tweeters but are no longer in business. They were supposed to be great speakers with what they referred to as the "million dollar tweeter" because of the money the NRB of Canada put in to the developement of that tweeter. However, it was the tweeter that made the speaker special and there are no replacements unless you can find some on your own. The ferroid used in them dries up and they stop working. I'm still willing to try a pair. I'd bet they would sound smashing with McIntosh gear.

Well, I picked up a pair of the Energy Reference 22's and they sound wonderful. A very good match for my Mac gear.

Thats great. I called Vancouver Speaker Clinic and they are going to repair my tweeter that's broken and recharge the fluid in both.

Back
Top Bottom