My new MT 5

volks

Well today was the day I finally went out and got my dealer to sell me a Mcintosh MT 5 . Originally I was going to get a MT 10, but soon I will want the new Mcintosh Headphones as well so I took the MT 5 home with me. Setting it up really is "Plug&Play" it's a well built TT........heavy but not overly so and of course a very nice finish I will have to break in the cartridge(which I will be upgrading in due time) in order to get the best sound of the MT 5 . My first spin? Pink Floyd -The Division Bell ......colour me happy :banana: Here are some pics from my IPhone .

Attachments

• mt5.jpg
    mt5.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 125
  • mt51.jpg
    mt51.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 89
  • mt53.jpg
    mt53.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 83
  • mt54.jpg
    mt54.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 110
  • mt56.jpg
    mt56.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 113
Really beautiful, can i ask what yo paid for that? what did you have before?

Thank You ............I paid a nice good chunk below MSRP(which is $7200 in Canada) .

I had a Music Hall MMF 2.2LE and a Music Hall MMF 9.1

How does it compare to the Music Hall? I have an older MMF 7 with a new Dynavector 20*2 MC cart. I love the sound this produces, but of course I'd like to hear what this cart would sound like in the MT 5 or MT 10 :)

Got mine a couple weeks ago and love it. One of my buddies has one on order he was so smitten with mine. I hesitated a bit, but love it. Hopefully, the last one I'll ever buy (famous last words).

Enjoy, in good health.

Boy. That cover sure is nicer than the piece of junk suede cover I got with my MT10 (if its even a factory part and not just something the prior owner threw in there). I can barely even figure out how it works. It just sort of sits ON the turntable.

Anyway, I digress. I'm not even a vinyl guy and the MT10 was one of the most transformative audio acquisitions I've ever made.

I do find your setup interesting, especially that you went all out with the C1000. Very cool.

Such a beautiful turntable that I would love to own, but out of my price range.

Hope you have many years of musical bliss. :music:

Boy. That cover sure is nicer than the piece of junk suede cover I got with my MT10 (if its even a factory part and not just something the prior owner threw in there). I can barely even figure out how it works. It just sort of sits ON the turntable.

Anyway, I digress. I'm not even a vinyl guy and the MT10 was one of the most transformative audio acquisitions I've ever made.

I do find your setup interesting, especially that you went all out with the C1000. Very cool.

Thank you.........I love the dustcover for sure!.........works like a charm:thmbsp:

I dumped the Blue Point cartridge and replaced it with an Ortofon 2M Bronze. The Sumiko, even when professionally aligned, had awful sibilance on some of my late-60's records like Simon and Garfunkel's "Bookends" (mono version) and Dylan's Nashville Skyline (quad version).

The Ortofon really improved the sound and tracking. No inner groove distortion at all and the sibilance disappeared.

For '78's (I have a huge collection of them), I use a Shure M-78 cartridge. I'm really glad that the MT-5 has the 78 speed and that the speed can be variably tuned to match mis-speeded 78 RPM records.

I run my MT-5 directly into the phono inputs of my MX-119 home theatre system.

Last edited:
What amazes me is that McIntosh didn't bother to include a dust cover as part of the MT-10 package.

I guess mine is something the previous owner threw in then. I can't take a picture of it right now but it is a heavy blue suede contraption that is sewn together where two corners meet, and has one flap that is only sewn at the top, then one open side. On two of the sides there are weights on the two front corners, but what I really don't get is why one of the corners is sewn together.

Anyway. Included or not, there are plenty of good ones out there. The box is already enormous enough as it is.

Back
Top Bottom