Will a Namichi remote work on MCD7008?

LexDM3

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I recently picked up an MCD7008 CD changer with box and manual that wouldn't read discs. Thanks to AKer Rich Andrews, I replaced C213 on the RF board and it now plays well. Thanks Rich!

I don't have a remote for it and haven't seen one for sale. However, it looks like the MCD7008 is pretty much a Nakamichi CD Player 2 under the skin so I'm wondering if the Nak remote will work on the 7008. The two remotes have the same buttons with slightly different labels on some of them. Has anyone tried this?

Attachments

• McIntosh HR7008 Remote P1.jpg
    McIntosh HR7008 Remote P1.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Nak CD Player 2 Remote P1.jpg
    Nak CD Player 2 Remote P1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 14
It will probably work, but if you're not going for originality and the Nak remote is more than 20 bucks or so, just get a refurb Harmony 650 or even the 20.00 Harmony 300i instead for a lot more future functionality. It will have the code for either Nak or McIntosh in their database without question. And yes, those two models take plain old batteries and don't need any special charging equipment or anything. Batteries last plenty long.

Last edited:
I'm guessing not. Even though the remotes look similar - and may have come from the same supplier - one will have Nak codes and the other McIntosh. Lots of older Marantz and Onkyo remotes look virtually identical, but the codes are different. Same thing applies to the old laserdisc players Pioneer supplied to Mac; identical, but different codes.

Happy trails,
Larry B

Yes that's true. I just remembered McIntosh codes even from device to device can be very independent. You're best to get the original or just go the Harmony route.

Nope. I tried. I have a remote from a Nakamichi SoundSpace 7 and a CD3 and neither worked with the 7008.

Thanks, everyone. You reminded me that I have a Harmony 880 so I tried that. In the setup program, the "MCD-7008" shows up as a "CD Jukebox" so I was hopeful. It has some codes for the MCD7008 but very few so only the basic play, pause, stop type commends work. There's nothing to control the MusicBank mechanism, for example.

Just for grins, I also set up a Nak CD Player 2 on the Harmony 880. As some of you predicted, the Mac player does nothing when I try to control it using the Nak emulation so it looks like a Nak remote won't work on the Mac player. However, it DOES have all of the multi-disc control buttons but it also has what look like receiver input switching buttons like tuner, video 1, etc.

I'm thinking that I'll just use the Harmony for simple commands on the MCD7008 and will either keep an eye out for a genuine HR7008 remote or will (gasp) simply stand up and push the front panel buttons. I think I can still do that... :yes:

Back
Top Bottom