MC7106: what do you think of this amp?

andyo5

I recently purchased a used MC7106 in great condition, but am finding it kind of hard to listen to compared to my Bryston 4BST. It seems brighter and less warm in comparison. I have been running it in bridged mode. I have owned the Bryston for many years.
Associated stuff includes, Klipsch Heresy III speakers, Nordost Blue Heaven speaker cables, Nordost Heimdall interconnects, MCD7007 CD player, and an MX130 preamp/tuner.

Just looking for impressions of others familiar with this piece (the MC7106).
Thanks!

I can't speak for the 7106 but can for the 7108 as I have 2. I would agree that they aren't as warm as my other Mac amps but they are versatile. I use one bridged for HT and some 2 channel and one for a second zone. (runs 4 pairs of satellites) I like mine very much. I'm impressed with the power which I was initially concerned with considering they are multi-channel amps.

If you get the same sound using the amp in the conventional mode (6 channels) then I would say its the amp. I installed a few with Klipsch Heritage HT systems and a few with Boston and Altec home speakers and I thought they did pretty well. They did sound much better than the Marantz, Yamaha, Dennon and B&K HT receivers we sold. Were they 7205's, NO. They sounded better to me than the Krells we audition, but I can't say how they compared to your specific Bryston.

My MC7108 works well for surrounds and center channel all bridged. Funnily I replaced a Lexicon (rebranded Bryston) with this amp purely for aesthetics. I don't notice much of a difference in sound quality, but then again I only really "pay attention" when playing 2 channel.

Here's smoething strange. I had the amp located in the center of my entertainment area, on a rack below a wide screen TV, a DVD player, and a TV cable box. I decided to move it away from there, to a location to the left of the left channel speaker where my main equipment rack is. This allowed me to use a different set of cables as well.
The entire character of the amp seems to have changed. My Heresy IIIs are putting out so much bass now that I had to recalibrate the subwoofer. It is now playing at a much lower level. I'm not sure what is responsible for this, but it sure sounds different.

I love mine and have enjoyed it for 17 years. Perhaps you had a phase (connection) issue which was resolved when you moved it? Doesnt matter it sounds good now so enjoy it

I recently made some changes to my system AND to my listening room. And I am now experiencing symptoms of Audiophilia Nervosa.

Nice - I've been considering adding a MC7106 to be operated in 3-channel to my multi-channel system for some time now. I've heard nothing but good about them . . .

I was going to say you realize Herseys have a 6 db peak in the 6.3 khz 1/3 octave that can exacerbate issues with amplifiers. Yamahas with switching power supplies scream when driving the model III. Even Cornwalls and Cornerhorns are a little zippy. But I'm glad everything has worked out for the best.

I was going to say you realize Herseys have a 6 db peak in the 6.3 khz 1/3 octave that can exacerbate issues with amplifiers. Yamahas with switching power supplies scream when driving the model III. Even Cornwalls and Cornerhorns are a little zippy. But I'm glad everything has worked out for the best.

I'm wondering where you got this information from. Not that I doubt it, but if there are some objective measurements available on H3s, Cornwalls, and other Klipsch Heritage models out there, I'd like to see them.
Thanks for your post.

Back
Top Bottom