KA-8300 Sound Quality question

LexDM3

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I picked up a Kenwood KA-8300 integrated amp and a KT-7500 tuner from two separate households within a mile of my house about 5 days apart. The guy selling the amp said it didn't work all the time at higher volumes so I checked it out carefully. It worked fine but I wasn't too sure about the sound quality.

I'm fully stocked (or overstocked) with audio stuff so I asked my friend Rick if he wanted them. I cleaned the switches and controls, relamped the KA-8300 and fired them up together. Using known good test sources, the amp worked well with lots of power but sounded a little bright and harsh to me.

I compared it to a Marantz 1060 and a Yamaha CA-810 using two sets of ADS speakers, L1290/2s and L470/2s. My ears aren't great but I consistently felt that the KA-8300 sounded edgier and not as nice at the top end. Rick bought the two Kenwoods from me after auditioning them and took them home. I stopped by the other day with some interconnects for him and once again felt that the KA-8300 sounds a little bright, this time on ADS L420 speakers. He had the treble turned down a bit and seemed happy with it.

I'd think that the KA-8300, as one of Kenwoods near TOTL integrateds, should sound pretty nice. I thought it might be a bias or offset issue but it uses the TA-100 output modules and I don't think you can adjust those. I may lend him the CA-810 to see if he hears a difference. Or maybe I'll leave well enough alone and let him enjoy the Kenwoods. He loves the way they look, likes the sound, and I gave him a very good price so I'm OK with the status quo. Maybe I'm just curious.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice you may have. --Dan

I cleaned all of the switches and pots before it left here. The next time I'm up there, I'll take a look at the relay. It looked OK when I visually inspected it but I know that's not a valid test of whether it's passing signals well. Thanks once again for the help.

I have done a small comparison between may KA-8300 and my SA-7800 on the phono input, and the conclusion is that the KA-8300 shows a lot more detail, with a lot more 'in the face' sound. It has a tighter bass and as you noted before, a strong and edgy high.
Both units are unrefurbished. I will do some more extensive testing during the weekend.

This was my starter system, in that it got me to start asking questions about audio as a hobby and opened my eyes to the greats of audio. A wonderful combo, easily improvable with little mods, glad to see Rick will get a chance to enjoy them.

Merry Christmas,

Rob

Rick likes it so I'll leave him to enjoy it. "If it ain't broke..." I just dropped off a $20 Nakamichi CD-4 for him. He's happy so I am too. Thanks for the help on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom