KR6160 rebuild list anyone?

ducati2

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
i have decided to recap my KR6160 and am wondering if anyone has compiled a list of components to buy.

you may want to try and get a service manual for this one seeing it's not a model that's brought up very often. Kenwoods service manuals are pretty good with the parts lists. This may give you some insite into what to relace etc, like starting with the main caps, cleaning pots and switches etc.
The data base here only has the KR-5150 ...

John M

I almost finished recapping mine. It's not the easiest receiver to work on, some boards are rather unaccessible, but I think it's worth the effort, so good luck with your project!

I almost finished recapping mine. It's not the easiest receiver to work on, some boards are rather unaccessible, but I think it's worth the effort, so good luck with your project!

did you find a parts list? would you share your list of modern parts you bought with me? I also need a digital version of the service manual.

did you find a parts list? would you share your list of modern parts you bought with me? I also need a digital version of the service manual.

you can download the service manual from http://elektrotanya.com/kenwood_kr-6160.pdf/download.html you have to wait about 30 seconds and then a small download link will appear. I didn't service it completely, I only replaced most of the caps on the audio path since I had an issue on the tone board and many were bulging. I think the service manual also includes a parts list, so it should help.

Andrea

getting close but need source for..

I am getting close to posting a list to recap the KR6160, but having trouble finding the large main caps in the specs and diameter needed.
need to find the 100v 2000uf at 2.015" or around 51mm if possible. Heck, cant even find the specs without worrying about diameter.

also need to find 63v 2200uf around 1.4" or 35-36mm if possible.

any leads appreciated. I suck at finding stuff on mouser or parts-express, but somehow think they do have this stuff.

Here's a thread that includes some photos of the KR-6160 which may be helpful to refer to.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=300303

For the 2200uf 63v, 35mm diameter caps you could bump them up to 2200uf 100v and would likely have slightly more options. These are 35mm diameter but get a 2nd opinion as to whether they are right for the job.

The 2000uf 100v, 51mm diameter caps are trickier. I found two that might work, again get a 2nd opinion, but there is a 3300uf 160v cap in 51mm diameter, and also a 2200uf 200v cap in 51mm diameter.

Generally small bumps in capacitance and voltage aren't too big a deal with filter caps, but there's people here on the boards with far more experience that can tell you for certain.

Last edited:
I got a 6160 that I haven't played in a long time and I took it out the other day to listen, but it developed a high pitch hum. I am afraid it will damage my speakers so I put them aside for now. Could it benefit from a recapp?

Back
Top Bottom