KA-4006 int amp

You did grab the OM from HiFiengine didn't you? Nice unit. Notice the specs have quite a few different power ratings for this unit. It is from before the Federal Trade Commission made all stereo gear include power, distortion, speaker impedance, distortion and bandwidth for a complete spec.

The spec for your unit says 145 watts dynamic power into 4Ω.

I like the all metal toggle switches. Not plastic tips to break off.

Last edited:
Actual true power is 34 wpc RMS. Quite a nice amp, I used to own its big brother, the 8006; two of them, in fact. Good construction, good design, and 34 wpc is plenty matched with fairly efficient speakers. Enjoy!

What is "actual true power"? Is there a list of requirements to meet to be able to call it "ATP"?

The only power output listed in the specs for this amp that includes many of the FTC mandated characteristics is for an 8Ω load, 20-20kHz and 0.5% THD and gives the 34 watt output but it does not say both channels driven so it is not complete.

One would expect this to be a 45 wpc unit with a 4Ω load so the OP has it correct, if he wants to call his unit a 45 wpc unit.

See how much confusion was brought on by the early power claims? This amp could claim anywhere from 145 watts all the way down to 34 or even lower if there was a 16Ω spec listed and all would be correct. But none of them would be "ATP", but I know what you mean by that.

Stereo Review Buyers Guide, 1975:

34 W rms/ch continuous power output with both channels driven into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz); THD & IM dist. 0.5%; power bandwith (IHF) 8-45,000 Hz.

Thanks for the info....45 or 34 wpc, it is a little gem. Will hook up my KLH's to it a little later and give them a whirl! At 4 on the volume this thing really starts to step it up!

i found one years ago at a Salvation Army and have held onto it ever since. great find, although i am sure by now it could use a recapping. one thing i've always noticed about it is how smooth and high quality feeling the controls are

Although not completely all Kenwood, here is what I have matched up. KA-4006,
KT-5300, Technics M-6 tape deck and Sansui CL-900P speakers. Have not yet made up my mind on a TT, but will soon have one. Regards! I apologize for the upside down pic...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 27
Oh and another note had a pair of nova-15's that sounded great when paired with this amp....a lot of music from such a small speaker!

Congrats! I picked up a KA-4006 a couple of years back and will never let it go. Fantastic little amp. In addition to its great sound and surprising power, it has a lot of inputs, including two phono (and the phono stage is excellent). You can plug a ton of gear into it. Beautifully designed and engineered, IMHO. Enjoy it--it's a gem!

Back
Top Bottom