What Is The Most Underrated Piece of Audio You Ever Owned?

Pioneer SX-770 receiver with the Pioneer Lab 400 turntable I paid $4 for at a garage sale with the Shure Realistic cartridge still on it and a good stylus.

Harman/Kardon is definitely underrated. They produced some of the best gear money could buy. My first system consisted of a H/K receiver. Sometimes I wish I still had it. Oh well, I have a Citation 19 amp and a Citation 17 preamp. Once they come back from service, they will keep me smiling every time I turn some music on.

My Onkyo DV-S555 DVD player. Picked it for $15 at a flea market. Turns out, the audio section is far better rated than the video playback capability. I believe it has a nice 24 bit crystal or burr brown dac. Sounds fantastic and quite underrated. Then again, most of my gear has great bang for the buck.

Adcom 535. It is incredible with a few mods & updates - Sounds very good as is

This one:

100_4415.sized.jpg

RCA SP9953 speakers. 6" drivers with a paper cone tweeter in sealed cabinets. They are from a cheap surround sound system. I keep them to use as test speakers for equipment I'm working on. For near field listening they sound pretty darn good!

East German turntable RFT SP 3001. They usually sell for $15-20 around here (working, with cart and stylus). I bought 2 for that price, a friend bought another one.

It's a 1983 belt drive automatic, with a decent discrete phono stage onboard (can be bypassed), stable motor, and the cart is a Tesla clone of Nagaoka JT-411 - nothing special, but beats entry level AT carts and the like.

Built quality: mechanism is quite sturdy, so is the cabinet (all-metal on the outside, chipboard and wood frame inside, plastic parts are few).

Straight tone arm, standard mount for carts, but the counterweight position is fixed so the only way to adjust tracking force is to add weight on the headshell. Can be done quite easily and that's the only problem I've had with this TT.

12356323.jpg

Aiwa AF-3090 3-in-1 cassette receiver..probably the finest of its type ever made. This was not a *compromise unit* .
It offers 50 clean and punchy watts per channel, Aiwa's best cassette transport of the time,a surprisingly good phono stage and a tuner section that always gets the better of my Hitachi-FT5500 Mk II ( both of them! ).

Many would pass this by without a second glance...but try lifting it and you'll quickly realise that this unit was not manufactured *down* to a price.

Attachments

• akai-af-3090.jpg
    akai-af-3090.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
JVC AX-R551 integrated amp from a late 80s rack system. It has all the crazy bells and whistles like a full graphic equalizer and audio level meter on a digital display, not to mention the "acoustic expander" button that seems to mess with the phasing somehow to expand the soundstage. The build quality is very nice for what it is and the audio performance is equally impressive. It's a very clean-sounding amp with exceptionally tight bass. None of that loose, flabby, tubby sound like my old Realistic STA-82 (which is still a cool receiver in its own regard). It's also rated at 120 wpc into 8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, at only .03% distortion. Unfortunately, it has developed a high-pitched whine that comes through the speakers whenever the amp is on. It's not noticeable when music is playing, but it's very noticeable and annoying between songs or during quiet parts. I have a hunch that it's the caps, but I don't know whether it's the big power supply caps or others and I haven't gotten around to looking into it.

A NEC A-1300E Surround Sound Integrated Amplifier. It has a nice smooth sound with plenty of power. 130 WPC in 2 channel mode. Has preouts so adding a preamp is possible. Has been in my garage system for years.

Hard to narrow it down.

I paid less than $100 for a brand new Realistic SA-1001 on a clearance table about 25 years ago. That amp has been amazing. It's built like a tank and really shines for the mid range 35 wpc it is rated at. The Slew Rate is very good, distortion is amazingly low, and the build quality combined with the electronic engineering are surprising. All in a typical Realistic Rosewood cabinet standard in the 70's and early 80's for Radio Shack equipment.

I have it tied to a Pioneer PL-514 table that I bought brand new in College, and a pair of Realistic Optimus 10 Speakers, probably my favorite speakers as long as you use them with better tweeters - they are a little weak on the high end.

So I guess the Realistic SA-1001 would be it. I service it about every 10 years, I've still not had to replace the caps (amazingly), but I am sure that is about 5 years off. It's a beautiful amp and very under-rated for how well it is built and the true RMS it delivers.

Canon Speakers YES CANON!!!

Canon V100 speakers, 4ohm very sensitive, not great for music but as my rear backs the sound stage they produce is fantastic.
Not bad for £20

My son has a BIC 960 TT. I don't see many BIC threads here, but it's a pretty nice turntable.

This is easy for me. A Sansui 210 receiver. Replaced lamps once. Really a nice sounding amp, ample smooth solid bass, good mids and highs. Hard to believe a 10wpc or so output. Knock the socks off anything in the same price range then, and now maybe.

Definitely my Nikko NA 2000 integrated amps. Modestly rated at 100wpc. Built like a tank. But its from the early 80s and looks more like BPC than quality 70's vintage gear. They pump out clean power and can be found for well under $100.

advent 300 receiver sounded sweet

Totally agree, I paired mine to my Cornwalls, with a sony ps-x50, and a denon dvd-1800bd blue ray player. Can hardly believe it's only 15 watts per channel. It did not like my martin logans at all though.

Back
Top Bottom