Infinity black widow and ADC ZLM are a good match?

bichitus

Hi members, the last 4th July weekend I saw at Craig list a turntable sale from a Pawn shop. The turntable was a Denon but I couldn't to identify the tonearm but it looks very interesting. When I called the shop, I asked them if it in working condition and they told me "we don't know", then I asked if the platter spin and they said "we don't know and the sell is AS IS" and I said "I will call again". I made a little research about the photo of the sell and discovered that the tonearm was a Infinity black widow. Immediately I call them and said "I will be there in half hour, please don't sell it". Also I asked for a discount and they accepted. When I got there and asked the manager that I want to test the turntable and it did work but the tonearm had a problem the axis where the counterweight had the screw loose and the cartridge (ADC ZLM) aging in the cables with the stylus broken and the finger lift was broken too. I bought it in $200 plus tax.:yes:
Then I got home I realized what was a problem and I fixed it:banana:. I pulled out the tonearm and change the cartridge (ADC PSX-40) and installed it in my Fairchild 412. Now working great and sound wonderful. Sorry for the long story but I have a few questions:
Is a good match the ADC ZLM with the black widow? because I see that the original stylus is very expensive ($205) but I know JICO has a similar replacement (ADC RSZ/improved) in $56. Do you think is a good buy? or Do you know a place where I can buy a good stylus for it? I appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thank you.

Last edited:
Not sure about the table but if the arm is in good condition it's worth $400.00 plus. It's a fairly light arm so check into a cart that is med to high compliance.

I'm not sure if the ZLM is as compliant as the XLM, but it should be a near ideal match. Ultra low mass arm with high compliance cart is perfect.

The original XLM was super compliant, the Mark II considerably less so, and the ZLM even less so. Nonetheless, it is still of medium to high compliance and should mate well with the Infinity. The combination of ultra low mass arms with ultra high compliance cartridges was a winner in sound, but the most complaint cartridges tended to be extremely fragile; the original XLMs had a ridiculously high cantilever-pivot failure rate - which was a major impetus in the redesign to a lower compliance Mark II version.

Yes the ZLM and the Black widow should be an excellent match.

The Jico cartridge would be good, but the ZLM was the very best they made (actually they had the Astrion, which was an upgraded ZLM... ).

It is a top cartridge from one of the legendary makers - if you want to hear what it is capable of, you need a low mass arm (you have one now!) - an original ZLM or Astrion stylus, and you need to get the loading right.

There are some period reviews of the ZLM in the VE library - worth reading.

bye for now

David

P.S. using a differing stylus (like the Jico) would require some work in adjusting the loading to revoice the cartridge - it is tricky!
One of the other excellent styli from the same period that I use myself is the SuperXLM-mkII - this is the Shibata member of the family, a very close relative to the ZLM and also very high compliance - it usually goes for substantially less than the ZLM stylus, but you still have the loading/voicing issues to overcome.

Thank you for all advice and I'm sorry for not knowing but what did you mean with: "you need to get the loading right" or "would require some work in adjusting the loading to revoice the cartridge - it is tricky! ".

Back
Top Bottom