CR-2020 intermittent popping. Common?

Robisme

Sansui Enthusiast
I am working on a CR-2020 that pops every once in a while. DC offset is steady at about 15mv in each channel. It usually does not go into protection with the pop, but it did once.

I have read many posts about this, but none had remedies.

I had my meter on the speaker terminals for about 15 minutes while I stared at it, but of course it never popped.

It seems to only be in one channel.

Other pieces of gear have my attention now, so I have not disconnected the pre/main, but eventually will try that to see if the pop comes from the preamp or amp.

Any thoughts? I am betting a failing transistor is causing this.

Rob

CR2020 intermittent popping

Hello Robisme

In my point of view if you want to find the reason why you have such trouble with you receiver, the better way will be to connect :
1) your DC voltmeter at the input power module connections i have colored in green in my attached file .
2) if nothing is coming in your amp module during a long long time of test , that's mean that the trouble is create by the module itself .
3) you can double check the source of trouble with one voltmeter connected to audio IN ( green dot) and another one (to red dot ).
To be connected with your voltmeter at the speaker terminal is not really a good idea , because if the protection desactivate the speaker relay , you will no be connected with the output of the power module and this will not give you any information about the source of the trouble !
make these test and come back to us with results
Please find my detailled attached file :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Hello Robisme

In my point of view if you want to find the reason why you have such trouble with you receiver, the better way will be to connect :
1) your DC voltmeter at the input power module connections i have colored in green in my attached file .
2) if nothing is coming in your amp module during a long long time of test , that's mean that the trouble is create by the module itself .
3) you can double check the source of trouble with one voltmeter connected to audio IN ( green dot) and another one (to red dot ).
To be connected with your voltmeter at the speaker terminal is not really a good idea , because if the protection desactivate the speaker relay , you will no be connected with the output of the power module and this will not give you any information about the source of the trouble !
make these test and come back to us with results
Please find my detailled attached file :thmbsp:

Thanks for the info. I will try that at some point.

So far, I have connected a preamp and have been listening to it for over an hour with no issue.

I will try it for longer when I have time, then use the CR-2020 as a preamp to see what happens.

I see I have to do the updates as well. Will look into that.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom