C-80 Headphone Output

Chris Brown

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I use my C-80 to power my headphones quite often during the day. I had previously used dedicated small headphone amplifiers for my headphone usage but was so impressed with the C-80 I now use it almost exclusively.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find any specifications related to it's headphone output.

It sounds best to me when I use my 250ohm DT990/Pro headphones. I seem to have almost unlimited power at my disposal, with even deep, hard hitting bass notes coming across accurate and effortless. When I use my 80ohm DT770/Pro or 24ohm Sony XB700 headphones however, it seems to have much less power.

Before, I had several different headphone amplifiers with different designs. One was an OTL tube amp that put out more power into higher impedance headphones. The other was a hybrid design with transistor output that put out more power into lower impedance headphones. As you can imagine, they each sounded best with headphones that matched their ideal impedance and that's why I kept both and switched back and forth. The C-80 obviously doesn't use tubes but it still seems to offer more power to higher impedance headphones in a similar fashion.

I have heard that the 600ohm DT990s are an upgrade to the 250ohm DT990/Pros I am using now, but I have no idea how this C-80 would handle a 600ohm headphone. I am also curious why I am not getting great results with my 80ohm DT770/Pros. At one point I strongly preferred the DT770s over the DT990s, but now the opposite is the case. I'm wondering how much of that is the amp.

Back
Top Bottom