All else being equal, would you take a CR-820, CR-1020, or CA-810?

Anchorless

All else being equal (price, condition, etc.), what would be the better amp/receiver: the CR-820, the CR-1020, or the CA-801 (integrated amp)?

Yeah yeah, it depends on what I'm looking for. It will be my primary setup, powering a turntable and DAC/music server. No CD, tape or tuner wanted. Looking for solid, natural, clear, articulate sound (speakers pending); not necessarily volume.

I prefer the looks of the CR-820, again, all else being equal...

Thanks!

For what it's worth...

I own a CR-1020 that is the center of my 'listening setup'. It primarily handles the output from an HP Media Center PC (listening to Spotify, MP3's, etc.) with little use of the tuner and other inputs. I chose it because of its ability to drive three pairs of speakers (A, B or C - or A+B, A+C) plus has a Main-in/Pre-out capability.

Its flexibility allows me to drive a pair of speakers on the A and the B connections as well as feed a Yamaha P-2200 that, in turn, drives another pair of speakers. Or, when I get a hair up my butt, drive all three systems at the same time! :banana:

In terms of sound quality - I'm so very very happy with it. It's the center of my perferred system over other vintage gear listed in my sig below because of the sound as well as the flexibility it offers. I can't comment on how it sounds versus the others you're considering.

Post up what your decision turned out to be!

I've owned all three of these. I still own both receivers, and only sold the CA-810 because I found a CA-2010. Since you have no use for a tuner, why are you considering a receiver? It seems like you should get the CA-810 if that is the case. I prefer the looks of the CR-1020 myself, with a real wood case, but it is considerably larger than the other two, so if your rack can't handle the width of the CR-1020, you can eliminate that option. I don't think there is a lot of difference sound wise between these, to my ears. The meters and volume knob are larger on the CA-810, if that matters to you. It can also run three turntables. The CR-820 does not have pre-outs, and the other two do.

The guy I met with to purchase these had an insane collection of gear! It was more like a museum than some audiophile. Parts and guts and tubes and speakers galore.

I was caught deciding between these, a Rotel 1312, a newer Denon, and a handful of other treasures. After deciding I couldn't meet the price for the Rotel, I walked away with a super clean CA-810 and a seemingly "brand new" (still had the front sticker on it) Sansui G-4500, which isn't the most powerful thing on the planet but is just a gorgeous piece.

On to speakers!!!!

The guy I met with to purchase these had an insane collection of gear! It was more like a museum than some audiophile. Parts and guts and tubes and speakers galore.

I was caught deciding between these, a Rotel 1312, a newer Denon, and a handful of other treasures. After deciding I couldn't meet the price for the Rotel, I walked away with a super clean CA-810 and a seemingly "brand new" (still had the front sticker on it) Sansui G-4500, which isn't the most powerful thing on the planet but is just a gorgeous piece.

On to speakers!!!!

Congratulations! <...see you in the speaker forum!...>

Back
Top Bottom