AK Design Collaborative - Insignia-Class Economy Speakers (a.k.a Indignia)

Zilch

Curve Junkie
Subscriber
I'm going to use this post to continue Zilch's tradition of assigning serial numbers to completed (with pictures) Indignias. So....

01, 02 Zilch
03, 04 RayW
05, 06 Robie
07, 08 comrade boris
09, 10 beans
11, 12 BmWr75
13, 14 vintage-yungin
15, 16 yungin's-dad
17, 18 webbb
19, 20 Jackgiff
21, 22 gcarlberg
23, 24 wiredbecker
25, 26 Russellc
27, 28 specialidiot
29, 30 BeerCan
31, 32 Tiver
33, 34 jimbofish
35, 36 1MOR
37, 38 stratmel
39, 40 mjennens
41, 42 peterz
43, 44 dnewma04
45, 46 RayW
47, 48 marantzfan
49, 50 interalian
51, 52 BlueFlyingV
53, 54 oldskl
55, 56 Specialidiot
57, 58 nerdybrew
59, 60 aspalmacin
61, 62 krammer
63, 64 Scriber06
65, 66 woody007
67, 68 donprice
69, 70 Wildcataz
71, 72 3939
73, 74 4343
75, 76 Sholodenko
77, 78 Blast
79, 80 isaeagle4031
81, 82 Trumbo
83, 84 guptonr
85, 86 Jackgiff
87, 88 Sir.Byrd
89, 90 dnparadice
91, 92 lmnop55
93, 94 as350
95, 96 jashock
97, 98 Blast
99, 100 scimK2
101, 102 Jetfire
103, 104 12cutthehole
105,106 JosephL
107, 108 sunking9

Target cost for drivers/crossover or for the whole shebang?

Ray

That was my original post in this thread, just for posterity.

Last edited:
Glad to know ya.

Same here.
3.gif

Target cost for drivers/crossover or for the whole shebang?
The whole enchilada.

Those cabs top $135 plus shipping at PE.

As usual, I'm confused.:D
I'm starting at the front, here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=302-708

and here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=302-709

Patterns.

Somebody wants to buy the cabs prebuilt and beautifully finished, they're available from PE.

Somebody wants to stick whatever we come up with in a shoebox, that'll work, too.... :yes:

"I like to watch"-Chauncy Gardner, I love to listen-stuwee, I have nothing to contribute, huge sigh of relief from panel:D
Craig

I was pondering what I would put in it. Am I supposed to be deciding what the project will be based on? I guess I'm not clear on the concept. Let's get that figured out...Are we going to have a driver complement and folks do their own enclosure design and crossover? Or is everyone on their own?

Ray

Fun stuff.

Thanks for picking up the ball and running with it, Zilch and Ray.

Suggestion: As you progress, dumb this down for those of us who generally don't like to start a project unless we actually know what we are doing.

I was pondering what I would put in it. Am I supposed to be deciding what the project will be based on?
Yup, like you suggested in the Insignia thread, a driver complement, preferably available from an AK sponsor, or a combination of them, which members may acquire within the constraints of the target system cost.

Are we going to have a driver complement and folks do their own enclosure design and crossover? Or is everyone on their own?
I have suggested an Insignia-esque enclosure size and design as a starting point, with certain advantages. The cab is a major hurdle for many potential DIYers.

I believe that cab or similar can be made economically, and I'm hoping one or more of AK's more skilled cabineteers will step forward and offer to make them, unfinished, or as a kit, once we figure out how to build them. Again, I have some ideas as to how to do it, but maybe they know better ways.

Curved plywood and MDF panels are commercially available:

http://www.aitwood.com/

They're also not terribly difficult to glue up using a form.

As I understand it, which is tenuously at best, we're going to design an econo system where the spiffy PE cabs could be substituted if you want to spend some more bucks. Guess that ties us to that volume...or one of the curved cabs anyway.
Once the drivers are selected and the baffle size and layout finalized, it doesn't much matter what's put behind it, as long as it's well constructed and has the requisite the design volume, so builders have the option of using the Collaborative cab or one of their own incorporating the specified baffle. If we design around the stock PE cabs, buying their nicely finished cabinets would be an additional option.

We'll come up with an appropriate crossover for the final driver/baffle combination, which anyone can build, with recommended components and board layout.... :thmbsp:

After a quick bit of looking, I'd love to try the Tang Band W5-704 but it looks like PE won't have it until June and I can't find it anywhere else. If somebody wants to order 1000 directly from TB I'll take 2.

I've always wanted to play with the Silver Flute drivers too but Madisound isn't a sponsor (hey muckmucks, you wanna work on that? :D).

I've heard good things about the Dayton DA175. With an aluminum cone the LP might get a little more complex than we want but it's fairly inexpensive for a normal (non-sale) driver with good performance.

Thoughts?

Ray

I've heard good things about the Dayton DA175. With an aluminum cone the LP might get a little more complex than we want but it's fairly inexpensive for a normal (non-sale) driver with good performance.
Getting that "oversize" driver behind the grille of my suggested baffle may be iffy. I think a more standard 6.5" will go, but I'm going to have to get a pair of the baffles in here to measure what the limits are.

The FR looks like it gets messy above 2 kHz, and prior experience tells me we're going to have difficulty getting a tweeter to play nice down that low.

[Unless we use hornz.... :p: ]

The FR looks like it gets messy above 2 kHz, and prior experience tells me we're going to have difficulty getting a tweeter to play nice down that low.

That's why I like the TB. It's pretty smooth out to 5k or so. Just not easy to find. :cool:

As far as size, I think that baffle is 7.5" wide and the cutout on the 7" speaker would probaby be around 6". However I don't think the speaker would like an enclosure as small as .25cuft. Guess I'll have to start looking at smaller drivers. The smaller version of that critter doesn't get the reviews of the 175.

[Unless we use hornz.... :p: ]

Philistine!

Ray

Ok, a look at the Audax AP130ZO shows that it would work well in a .25cuft box. With a 1.75" x 6" port we'd be looking at F3 of 67Hz F6 of 55Hz and F10 of 46Hz. It has smooth response up over 3kHz and isn't too bad after that until cone breakup about 5k. Match it up with something like Vifa D27TG-05 ($22) and we'd probably have a decent start.

The Audax is on sale for $19 at PE right now but is usually available (i.e. not a buyout) from them for another $10.

Ray

Okay, you guys are spouting quite a bit of technical jargon....

is it possible to run some type pvc tube out of the port on the Insignias into an altogether different box...get more bass, sorta like a sealed, firing into a ported??

Am I a freakin' 'tard??

I know it'd be BUTT-Fugly but perhaps easy...

Oh, never mind. I am a 'tard.

Okay, you guys are spouting quite a bit of technical jargon....

is it possible to run some type pvc tube out of the port on the Insignias into an altogether different box...get more bass, sorta like a sealed, firing into a ported??

Am I a freakin' 'tard??

I know it'd be BUTT-Fugly but perhaps easy...

Oh, never mind. I am a 'tard.
I would've tried that had you not suggested against it. I'm like that. :D

When I was into car audio in the late '80's, we would put sealed boxes INSIDE another box that was ported. Loud as hell. I think some of the older Bose speakers used that technology, porting the front waves and sealing the back, or whatever. Lot of math using Thiel-Small parameters, but it utilizes both movements of the woofer. If u got curved pvc, painted it black, and fired it into another box, perhaps it could work.

Or, we could all just pull the drivers and build nice taller, slim cabs like the Boston Acoustic A-70's have....???

Back
Top Bottom