Did Yamaha make....

mrjbq

Bose forum Moderator
Subscriber
a graphic equalizer in the 70's that matches my CA 2010 amp?
I did a quick google and couldn't find anything.
I'm looking for an EQ that is in the same series as my amp.
Thanks.

Doesn't look like Yamaha was big on equalizers. You may be able to find a suitable one from another brand though.

I'm pretty sure that we never made a silver-faced equalizer. The earliest EQ I remember was the GE-5, a not particularly impressive product.

Cool question, I love any excuse to dig up my old literature. The oldest stuff I could find was the following from the 1980s:

EQ-1100U
EQ-630 / EQ-630Ti
EQ-550 / EQ-500Ti
EQ-70

The 630 and 550 units were available in Titanium (Ti) finish, which may be close enough for you.

Here is an image of the EQ-630Ti:
IMAG1345frontright1.jpg

There were more silver EQs as I recall, that were sold as a component of a complete set audio system. The one I seem to recall in my mind was not one of Yamaha best efforts, a very lightweight and inexpensive looking silver plastic front equalizer. These units had strange part numbers, and you would probably need an original audio system brochure that lists the components to know the eq's part number.

I found some more:
GE-3
GE-5
GE-20
GE-30
GE-40

Here are some images I found:

GE-3:
YamahaGE-3SilberVorne.jpg

GE-5:
ge-5.JPG

GE-40
6427.jpg

Last edited:
Well, here's confirmation of a silver GE-60. I think it's quite nice, but I do agree with the notion that graphic EQ's generally do more harm than good.

Attachments

• P1020516.jpg
    P1020516.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 97
Well, here's confirmation of a silver GE-60. I think it's quite nice, but I do agree with the notion that graphic EQ's generally do more harm than good.

That is a cool GE-60 in silver! Must have been the TOTL of the GE series EQs of that era. I will sometimes use an eq to "fine tune" a system, then hit the bypass/defeat button to hear the difference. I have come across many a poor recording on CD, especially some "remasters" that were simply awful. I recall one in particular in which I had the original CD, then purchased the remastered CD in which most of the deep bass was missing. So, with an eq, I was able to "rebalance" the sound to be a bit closer to what I was expecting.

That is a cool GE-60 in silver! Must have been the TOTL of the GE series EQs of that era. I will sometimes use an eq to "fine tune" a system, then hit the bypass/defeat button to hear the difference. I have come across many a poor recording on CD, especially some "remasters" that were simply awful. I recall one in particular in which I had the original CD, then purchased the remastered CD in which most of the deep bass was missing. So, with an eq, I was able to "rebalance" the sound to be a bit closer to what I was expecting.

It's surprising how many bad CD's there are, Eq's will work , I will Equalize them on Sound Forge. I find a lot of CD's having way to much bass.

The EQ-630 has a natural sound, I have one hooked up to my Pioneer VSX-D1S. The sound is awesome. I bought it in Germany and saw allot of Yamaha equipment overseas. It has multiple adjustable presets as well as factory presets ! Plus, you can hook up a real-to-real to it as it has a record button !

Yes, analog EQs do degrade the sound (many digitals do too).
You can get analog mastering EQs that cost a fortune and do less harm, but Yamaha never made any - not for consumer or pro market. They did/do make EQs, but not in this quality.
Some setups do have large issues where a "normal" EQ can help, but this is due to the problems being so big that the EQ "thing" disappears in bigger problems. The best fix will always be to fix the room and setup, rather than applying an EQ (EQ is the last resort).

In the audio recording world there is a saying that if an instrument sound wrong, you do not start applying an EQ - you change the microphone.

HiFiCanada; if manny CDs have too much bass, then it is not the CDs but your setup that needs to be looked at - Check for room notes and so on.

Yamahalic; get rid of that EQ :) Remember that mastering is a mix of technical skills and artistic decisions, it might be that you do not like the art and will be better of with a different version. That said, there are many early digital re-mastering editions that suffers from too much treble, but acting as you're own mastering engineer is seldom the best solution. I work with sound for a living and when I play around with an EQ in my Hi-Fi setup I usually come to the conclusion that I made it sound different - but not better.

The number one key to good sound is the room, and you can't EQ a room.

Back
Top Bottom