SX-5590 tragedy

DRecovery

Pants-wearer
Pioneer SX-5590 from the bay, packaged a form fitting un-reinforced cardboard box. A goddamn shame.

Anyone ever tried straightening one?

Attachments

• IMG_2701.jpg
    IMG_2701.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 465
You can bend it out. I've had worse. Glass can be found.
I actually made a jig to bend 1250 and the 5590 frames back into shape. It was a 5590 that was damaged from a cheesy eBay seller/shipper in which I made the jig for. The corner blocks are of aluminum and can be damaged easily. I was able to hide the shipping damage by swapping them from side to side. Otherwise a machine shop and a coating/plating shop for re-anodizing.

Hmmm. Zebulon, happy to hear that. I have glass already. Haven't tried to straighten out yet, still moping.

I feel for you! But there is hope and a good chance you can fix it.
My issue with the seller was he wanted it back and claim the shipping damage. So there was some discussion. I had to be sure I could fix it. I had to work fast while in talks in case it ended up returned.
When managing it back into shape, always start from the last point of damage. Like if you were to work a dent out of a fender. That face could get wavy if not careful.
Really inspect the entire set for collateral damage.

Last edited:
The chassis/front frame is bent as well.

I MIGHT have a sx-1250 CHASSIS/FRAME...
(i KNOW I have a 1280...)

I'm surprised that the knob shafts levers and push buttons look intact.

Geez, was there shipping insurance included from the seller. That chassis is gonna be hard to straighten out, hopefully Mark or someone else can offer you a new chassis. I can't believe how some people pack and ship their items, and I also can't believe how these couriers handle these packages.

I see shipping on the item was "economy shipping", beware of those two words when shipping a 65 lb receiver.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I just knew I didn't want to read this thread.

So very sorry, man. I got lucky with my 1250. Shipped in a loose cardboard box with perhaps 20 packing peanuts. Arrived with only a slightly bent radio dial. Still amazed.

These guys will help you, be patient and best of luck.

Will the shipping companies honor insurance for something packed so poorly? Don't they usually want evidence of proper packaging?

People continue to amaze me. I had a CD player show up recently the same way. The seller built a box around the player with no additional packaging. It was damaged beyond repair.

Tim, it was shipped economy, although I wouldn't have wanted to spring for anything faster! It came FedEx Ground. I included shipping instructions with the order, never heard anything back.

Mark, the chassis is indeed bent inward at the tone board. I did go through and straighten the toggle switches, they were all bent to some degree, in order to get the faceplate off. The 10-position bass control is nearly seized, the others seem ok. Flat amp seems ok, although I did have to use the spoon trick to get the volume knob off.

More of a project than I bargained for. I have the faceplate here with me at the office, going to try straightening it later today....

Any tips on the brown glue that holds the faceplate parts together? I have a few solvents, 99% IPA, acetone, along with some painting supplies, although I will start with a utility knife and see if that works.

Last edited:
Can't really blame FedEx, the shipper should be responsible for all damage, I had an issue with a 1050 awhile back and I asked for compensation from the seller. He demanded pictures, I sent him a boatload and he refunded me what I asked for. Yours is a high dollar acquisition, you deserve some kind of compensation for this damage, or you can file an eBay case.

No, I don't blame FedEx. When I opened the box at the end of last week, I saw the condition of the box, lack of packaging, bent/broken toggles, broken dial glass and immediately contacted the seller. I can't say that I had many kind words, but he graciously responded very quickly and we worked out an arrangement for the damage. It wasn't until I started on it yesterday that I saw the substantial, additional damage to the faceplate that I hadn't seen before. I contacted the seller again but I haven't heard back yet. The machine's recent history is complex, and I am sure the seller was happy to have thought the matter resolved last week. It's basically a bummer for everyone involved because someone along the line didn't care or didn't study enough physics.

So what was a financial problem has now turned into a rescue operation for this machine, if possible.

I'm curious what the seller's response was when you brought this travesty to their attention. He/She say, I'm sorry sir, but I was born with poo for brains"?

I feel your pain, I lost a 950 a few years back , that was lost in space !!!, and finally
Received it in maybe 50 pieces or so. A real heart breaker...
Good luck ,hope your recovery pans out

I'm curious what the seller's response was when you brought this travesty to their attention. He/She say, I'm sorry sir, but I was born with poo for brains"?

His response was something like, "I am as upset as you are." The item has a complicated history and the bay is not easy on sellers, i.e. returns can be basically forced down your throat. He apologized for not checking it and repackaging it after its most recent return. I am pretty sure he just was sick of it and didn't want to deal with it, something all sellers experience IMHO. Anyway, he made good for it. He's lost plenty of money on the thing.

Didn't get very far, but I did figure out how the faceplate goes together, or rather how it comes apart. I guess Gorilla glue is the best option for reassembly? I also have some of that nasty super-thin 3M black tape, mega strong, used for cells phones, etc.

The last picture shows just how dented it is.

Attachments

• 20150728_203231[1].jpg
    20150728_203231[1].jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 20150728_205457[1].jpg
    20150728_205457[1].jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 20150728_205719[1].jpg
    20150728_205719[1].jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 116
I recently replaced the glass on my SX-1250. I used plain old Allene's tacky glue. I applied and let it sit for about 5 minute as you would do with contact cement. It worked well and any little bit extra that squeezed out on the front side was easily removed with a Qtip and water.

A while back, I found a Sansui Model Eight Deluxe at a thrift store that had been dropped. I had the same kind of bending that yours displays. I used wood under and wood on top and hammered the wood instead of the metal. I was able to get it almost back to flat without damaging the faceplate finish.

Sorry about you're bad luck, but you still have a beauty and I am sure you will get it back to its full working good looks.

Last edited:
Some progress! I used a piece of 1x8 and some 1/8" shipping foam on the faceplate side and went at the back with a hammer, first with a scrap of 2x4 and then a paint stick in between. It's very close, still bowed inward about half a millimeter at the 50Hz pot, but I can't see it without the straightedge so I am calling it good.

Next up is to check the tone amp for damage and see if the chassis can be salvaged.

Attachments

• 20150805_192140[1].jpg
    20150805_192140[1].jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 20150805_185645[1].jpg
    20150805_185645[1].jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20150805_185456[1].jpg
    20150805_185456[1].jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 20150805_185042[1].jpg
    20150805_185042[1].jpg