CR 820 issue

Sid the Kid

So I picked up my 1st vintage receiver and it was in perfect working order other than needing some deoxit. I took care of that, everything was great for a few weeks. Then I started noticing a sound out of one channel that sounded like distortion. Like someone slowly dragging the needle across a record. Not sure what that might be as it comes and goes. Then last week the bulb died on the FM tuning meter :no: Now it seems like the power will slightly fluctuate, volume will fade slightly. I knew when I bought it that I intended to get it fully restored. Can this be done in stages to ease up on my wallet? I am lucky to have the Audio Doctor here in Phoenix about 2 miles from my home for good tech work...

When it fades out and starts distorting. Quickly crack the volume control up 1/3 of the way then back down low. If the sound improves,the speaker protect relay contacts are suspect.

Also try flipping the input select switch as well as the other switches to see if they have any influence on the sound quality.Could just need another real good deoxit treatment. Some of those switches are near impossible to get thoroughly deoxited without disassembly of the switch itself.

Thank you Avionic, I was wondering if my amateur attempt at a cleaning was enough. I will give those tricks a try tonight during my normal after work listening session.

Any progress ?

Yes sir. Actually all the noise has gone away. I worked some more De Oxit into the input selector as well and that seemed to help. So far she is holding out and I am squirreling away some coin to re cap it. Though to my inexperienced ears the unit sounds really nice as is.

The receiver sat in a closet for the better part of 15 years in AZ where the humidity is next to zero. I don't know how humidity or "dryness" affects the caps over time. Perhaps you can comment on that?

Age and none use probably has done more damage. I'm sure the dry climate is better than a humid enviorment.

Back
Top Bottom