RX-V1 ? DSP-A1 ? RX-Z* .....can someone tell me the order of superiority or significa

gentlejax

here is the deal.

I ordered a RX-V3000 but its not shipped and I may cancel cause I am not sure its fully functional.

I have found a DSP-A1 and a RX-V1 not far from me that I would drive to in order to get.

I know the RX-Z9 is probably the mac daddy after looking at it but what about all these others?

I am trying to get the baddest former TOTL yammie for least money. I think the V3000 is ok although I have a broken v2400 and it didnt impress me from build point.

can anyone give me some info..? there are so many and I know some of its just a matter or power and channels but some must have been better than others. I am using this for stereo music using outboard amps but in future I may run it by itself for stereo music.

like I said , found a RX-V1 and a DSP-A1 within riving distance

DSP-A3090 was quite the beast. Then came DSP-A1 with built-in DTS decoding, then V1, V9 & Z9. All big, heavy and powerful. I think any Yamaha flagship will be quite the centerpiece of an audio system and sound quality wise, they all pretty much sound the same. I prefer the looks of the earlier models - the 3090 in silver-grey with wood side panels - gorgeous.

Correct: DSP-A1 is technically an amplifier. I have one (champagne finish with wooden sides) and it's a gorgeous beast! Sounds great too....

Well I tried to cancel my order for a rx-v3000 but too late. So when it arrives i will test it and Hope it works. If so I will use it. If not I will file claim blah blah blah

Other info:

DSP-A1: S-Video or lower
RX-V1: Component Video or lower, additional SS codecs, more power
RX-Z9: more SS codecs, and more power.

Personally, I would get a stereo receiver, for stereo only use.

Other info:

DSP-A1: S-Video or lower
RX-V1: Component Video or lower, additional SS codecs, more power
RX-Z9: more SS codecs, and more power.

Personally, I would get a stereo receiver, for stereo only use.

Thanks for the info..
Does anyone make a straight 2 channel stereo that's worth the cost? I don't know, I'm asking.

I had one years ago. HK, It was alright but eventually I sold it. I could run 4 speakers off it but it strained to do it. Not enough guts.

I have a RX-V3000 coming which I read is based on the V1, and I will pump 5 channels with full stereo . And if I decide to use it for HT i can.

Top model HT receivers appear to be more functional and better built for the money.

Seems better to me to get a Bad Ass ht receiver that can do more.

I'm actually going to run separate amps off the 3000 but I'm still saving money over a pre-amp alone

Thanks for the info..
Does anyone make a straight 2 channel stereo that's worth the cost? I don't know, I'm asking.

I had one years ago. HK, It was alright but eventually I sold it. I could run 4 speakers off it but it strained to do it. Not enough guts.

I have a RX-V3000 coming which I read is based on the V1, and I will pump 5 channels with full stereo . And if I decide to use it for HT i can.

Top model HT receivers appear to be more functional and better built for the money.

Seems better to me to get a Bad Ass ht receiver that can do more.

I'm actually going to run separate amps off the 3000 but I'm still saving money over a pre-amp alone

Sorry I misunderstood. When you wrote 'Stereo', I assumed 2-channel. I have some blu-ray audio, DVD-audio, and SACDs, which are multi-channel encoded. You are correct in that some these are truly bada$$.

If you are talking about matrix decoding (2-channel source that is forced into 3 or more channels), then I'm not really of fan of this.

By the way, many companies still produce 2-channel rigs, but I would go the used route, if this is of interest.

To get the hierarchy right:

The DSP-A1 flagship surround amp came first around 1998, 50 lbs

The RX-V1 was a follow up with tuner added, all reviews pointed out that it also sounded better in all modes,including stereo, than the A1. 62 lbs

The RX-V3000 was a step down from the V1, 51 lbs

Give the 3000 a chance in 2ch mode, you might find it does the job as is. The V1 certainly does very well as a receiver. As you said, you can always add a different power amp later though I suspect the pre might be the weak point of these AVRs.

DSP-A3090 was quite the beast...the 3090 in silver-grey with wood side panels - gorgeous.

dsp-a3090.jpg

Nice! I never knew Yamaha offered the 3090 in this finish! Mine is just baisc black! :sigh: :D

+1 for the DSP-A3090. Great as a normal stereo integrated or as a power amp. Also consider the A2070 or A1000. Basically the same amps as the 3090 but no digital inputs.

I have a z-11 which has a pure direct function that shuts off all video processing - I had a tech look at it one time and he keep gushing about the build quality and the voltage across the rails compared to the regular receivers he normally saw. I have it driving some b&w 802's on the front channels and it works well.

To get the hierarchy right:

The DSP-A1 flagship surround amp came first around 1998, 50 lbs

The RX-V1 was a follow up with tuner added, all reviews pointed out that it also sounded better in all modes,including stereo, than the A1. 62 lbs

The RX-V3000 was a step down from the V1, 51 lbs

Give the 3000 a chance in 2ch mode, you might find it does the job as is. The V1 certainly does very well as a receiver. As you said, you can always add a different power amp later though I suspect the pre might be the weak point of these AVRs.

I have a V1 I may buy but I have to drive to go get it. THe v3000 will be here early next week.

I already have matching mx460 amps that I am going to use. I am just trying to use the v3000 or v1 as a prea-amp .

the reason for using a older high end flagship avr is so that if I need to have these 2 amps repaired I will still be able to use the avr.

if I decide to sell the 2 amps I dont have to search all over again for sound..

I tried to cancel my order of the v3000 but I was too late. if I had option for only 1 it would be the v1 . i may still get it and sell the v3000.

the RX-V3000 is the main receiver in my system and i truly do love it... surround isn't as great as i would like but i mostly use it for 2.1 stereo. has plenty of features to keep you interested though :yes:

how common is the gold color? the v3000 I bought is gold and the V1 I am looking at is also gold...lol..

Gold V1? Grab it! They bring far more than the black ones around here and you might not have too much trouble selling a gold 3000. Even if both were black I would grab the V1. I have two of them, one running a pair of Kef R107 without external amps. Excellent for stereo, very good tuner and DAC section.

Yamaha

DSP-A1 is a killer amp in stereo mode!
The only drawback that it doesn't retain "Stereo" when powered off and next time you have to push Stereo again.
But oh boy it sounds sweet! And looks good too...

YamahaDSP-A1_6_zps3f8f5f55.jpg

Whats the difference in the weights of these? Is the power supply bigger in the V1 than the dsp-a1 or v3000.

Or is the weight in the case? Construction?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom