Yamaha MX-1000 and CX-1000

Duffinator

Spin The Black Circle
I picked up this gear today. I hope to have the amp cleaned up and in my system later this evening.

P1010021.jpg

P1010022.jpg

Holy crap, that's a serious pickup! You make it sound like you went out to get a pack of cigs and found these on the side of the road.
Can't wait to hear the review, great gear! :drool:

Ha, I don't smoke. This gear showed up on my local CL last Friday evening with the title "Stereo for Sale" and the ad only had the model numbers and no other info. I almost didn't click on the ad but when I did I immediately sent off an email. These came from the original owner who purchased them while stationed in S. Korea while serving in the Air Force in 1994. All the boxed gear looks like new but the Pioneer PD-M701 CD player has a few scratches. All manuals were included and the gear has been in storage since 2003. I checked it all over and it works fine. It's missing the remotes and power cord for the tuner. He used this system with a Bose Acoustimas system. :yikes: The Bose are still for sale as well as a Pioneer SX-3900, both with original boxes.

I've been thinking about a big Yamaha amp for sometime and have been giving it more serious consideration since I picked up a Yamaha TT last winter. So now I'll find out if this amp lives up to it's reputation.

Last edited:
Awesome Score!!!

You lucky dog. I just turned green with...never mind. I have the CX-1000 pre connected to a M-70 amp. Love it. The CX is a very versatile preamp & will do most any thing you will ever need, Love the digital connections. I found mine at a local thrift for $2, a few cosmetic issues, but works great. Once you have it set up, you wont want to part with it. Maybe one day I'll find an MX amp. :thmbsp: :music:

Let's Rock!

I'm ready to roll. I've been using a Sansui BA-3000 for almost two years now and also have a Denon POA-2800. The Sansui is 170 wpc and the Denon has 200 wpc. Both use massive toroidal transformers. The Denon weighs in at 40 lbs. while the Sansui is 49 lbs. compared to the Yamaha's 44. To my ears the Denon has tighter bass and more detail compared to the big Sui. Yet I still prefer the BA-3000. I'm expecting the Yamaha to be similar to the Denon but hopefully more fluid and probably even better bass. My speakers are capable of deep tight bass and I'm hoping the big Yamaha extracts every ounce out of them. Time to find out.

P1010024.jpg

P1010023.jpg

P1010026.jpg

Those are fantastic vintage boxes :)

Can't wait to see the goods...
Not sure if 90's is considered vintage here but definitely not new. I'll setup the CX in a week or two after I determine how I like the amp. My Denon DAP-2500A pre is very similar to the CX and has a nice phono stage. I'll change one component at at time. The rest of the gear will be sold.

Yes it has the voltage selector on the back.

Man the bass hits with serious authority. :yes: Back to spin some vinyl.

Great find! It pays to keep an eagle eye out, that's for certain. :)

I'm eager to hear how the listening goes, especially once you've got the CX preamp in place.

the very first setup I had going in my bedroom after getting back into the deal was a c85/m45/t85 with some boston a150's and man did it sound good. I know have the sansui au/tu 9500 with fortes but sometimes wonder how they would compare back to back.

I sometimes regret selling the yamaha stuff

Thanks guys. I think we have a winner here. :yes: Very nice sounding so far. I was concerned that the MX might sound bright. While it hits the highs way up there they are very smooth. The amp cleaned up really nice and other than a very small scratch on one side it looks brand new. I'm not sure I'm totally digging the red meters but they are not as bad as I expected.

One question, the manual says to use the 4 ohm button on the front when only one pair of speakers are used. How does this affect the operation of the amp? My speakers barely dip below 8 ohms so should I use the 8 ohm button?

I can't say with authority on the MX-1000, but the M80/85 etc. series selectors were just for the meter indication. The amp should easily handle low ohm loads without any twiddling. Does the MX-1000 not have a meter off button?

Wonderful! Very nice "newish" gear for years of hassle free listening pleasure. My M85 has a 2, 4 and 8 ohm button for scalling th meter lights to the speaker load but doesnt affect the amp. Enjoy!

I can't say with authority on the MX-1000, but the M80/85 etc. series selectors were just for the meter indication. The amp should easily handle low ohm loads without any twiddling. Does the MX-1000 not have a meter off button?
Thanks. It has a meter off button but that's no fun. :D I'm more comparing it to large analog meters like on my Sansui BA-3000 and the MX-2000.

Back
Top Bottom