CDX 910U repair

Capt Odyssea

In Yamalibrium
Had it since new, a few years ago it started skipping/glitching, so I put it in storage and got a Yam play exchanger.(CDC 685)
Worth repairing? Any shop recommendations?
Powers up and operates, so it must be an issue reading discs.
Laser unit or DAC prob.

What, the tray rails? No, I had it open back when it started glitching,
I'd have to open it back up to remind myself of the layout, but wasn't a mechanical issue.
Also was very clean inside, so unlikely it was dust.

No, not the tray rails. I'm not sure what laser-unit system the 910 uses, but I recently fixed some skipping issues on a Sony CD player by cleaning & lubing the steel rod on which the linear-motor for the laser positioning thing ran upon.

I'm gonna open her up and refresh my memory, it has been stored for prob 8 years or so.
Maybe longer. Think I bought it new in 88-89?
I know my TT needed tlc and lube when I pulled it out!
Kids are gone and grown so toys like this can come out again!

My CDX-810U is the same. I'd always hoped to play CDR's on it- but no such luck. Our Laser is the $$ Toshiba TAO-JP1 or JP3 or something along those lines.
I had a tech clean it out and lube and try aligning it- no luck.

Chris

Found the service manual online, seems there is an alignment tool/disc needed to set up something, probably the spindle rise height or something.
It'll get opened up and checked this W.E. and it may go to Ft Lauderdale for repair.
Shoulda delt with it back then but life gets in the way of the important stuff.........

Wow. I pulled the unit out, dusted and fired it up and no skipping.
Strange.
That is why I put it away in the first place 10+ years ago.
The tray was sluggish for the first open close, then freed right up.
Lubes are not dried out.
Left The Moody blues playing, with headphones direct.
Oh well,
Voodoo.
Time will tell.

Update:
She started skipping on the second play through, same CD
Same effect as pushing te scan forward button, but with random and larger skip "segments"
I found the metal rails Martin.Ca, so swabbed them with Triflow lube,
It still skipped but I selected first/last track a few times and it settled down.
We shall see. Playing fine now.

Let me know if this is irritating anyone, might help someone else I figure!
The floating Cover that pushes the CD down, has a floating disc that spins.
It took off its retaining plate, and it truly does float in there but
The grease that I suppose helps it spin was like a rubber foot that melted in the heat/humidity!
Sticky tack.
Cleaned it off, gave it a shot of lube and no skipping so far.
Amazing.

Tri-Flow, a silicon based teflon lube that doesn't dry out like most.
Clear, spray can but also comes in an eye dropper type.

Mucking around it seems that the disc keeper, or top flap that pushes the disc down onto the spindle when the tray closes has some play, if it drifts to the left it skips, to the right it is fine.
Light pressure beyond what the spring exerts is also fine.
The floating disc at the end of the keeper rides on a single ball bearing point,
but I cannot see why it has this alignment issue.
I shimmed it behind one pivot and in front of the other and it seems happy.
only thing I can think of is that the single point ball bearing has worn the plastic retaining plate and lost its ability to "wander"
I see a microscopic depression where it rides but it seems crazy that would be the problem.
Unit never dropped, smacked or abused so I don't see how anything is out of whack from damage.

I have the same unit and it's doing exactly the same thing. Sometimes it plays fine other times it skips. I purchased it in the early 90's. I also opened the unit up and it is remarkably clean. I see the ball bearing pivot point you are talking about, but how did you "shim" it?

No, not the tray rails. I'm not sure what laser-unit system the 910 uses, but I recently fixed some skipping issues on a Sony CD player by cleaning & lubing the steel rod on which the linear-motor for the laser positioning thing ran upon.

I had good success stopping skipping on a Yamaha CD player I'd had since new by doing exactly what you describe along with carefully cleaning the laser lens to a highly polished shine. No issues in the three years since.

I pulled that little dick that presses down on the CD. I could see that there was a "grease" of some sort that appeared to have been moved to the side from years of use leaving what appeared to be a circle. I used a toothpick and pushed it all to the center and put it back together. By no means a fix/repair, but so far, it's perfect.

Found out that is some sort of graphite Washer/lube deal,
which the tech has been able to replace, also there was a dimple worn into the backer plate that holds the spinner disc, so I think he may have replaced that also.

I do not have the unit back yet, but should in a couple weeks.

Update, got my unit back and it is performing flawlessly,
Had a buddy pick it up for me, hand carried it via Airline.

Very happy as it is part of my original system, purchased new in '88-89

Hey Cap't
Do you have a list of what was done? What did it all cost ya if ya don't mind me asking? Where did you have it done? Seeing my CDX-810U sitting there doing the same things yours did just eats at me. I realize I do not play CD's like I used to- and I don't have the cash to outlay to fix it right now. But a reference point is a reference point...

Thx
Chris

Buddy who picked it up and brought it over has the documentation and removed parts. I'll get it from him,
About $200. ($75 deposit, balance at pickup)
Something like that.
I think they replaced the transport, laser, maybe.

Back
Top Bottom