Newb M80 question - won't turn on

Hi folks,

I was thrilled to find a dusty M80 not too long ago and saddened but not surprised when it wouldn't turn on. I pulled the top off and have peered around inside - there's gunk at the base of the both of the large capacitors (right?), pictured below. Is this a clear sign of damage? I don't really have the knowledge to do repairs, and I don't want to try to pick up said knowledge with something like an M80.

I have a multimeter - can somebody point me to a guide for where to start checking for other common problems?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• P7170377.jpg
    P7170377.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 40
  • P7170375.jpg
    P7170375.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 32
That "gunk" is the notorious "sony bond glue" DSBG:D. That is a common occurance in these models. Unfortunately that glue causes corrosion/oxidation on whatever metal it come in contact with.

The M-80 is not a beginners model. Usually when these "let loose" they burn up a lot of parts.

That dried up glue needs to be erraticated and the corroded components replaced ie resistors/diodes and jumper wires. Most likely there is other problems as well.

Member Brutal covers the DSBG issue...http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4309237&postcount=1

Last edited:
Found a bad fuse. If I replace it and try to turn this sucker on, will the glue leakage mean something will fry for sure?

Found a bad fuse. If I replace it and try to turn this sucker on, will the glue leakage mean something will fry for sure?

Its not leakage. Its just dried up glue. Its probably been that way for 15 years or more. Replace the fuse with the same size fuse and set the voltage selector switch to 120V. Remove/replace those two green caps and chip out that glue replace any components that have corroded leads .Build yourself a dim bulb tester. And power up the amp with a 100watt incandescent lamp installed in the tester.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom