Mcintosh MX110 balance controls

Toob

I usually don't touch the balance knob but tonight I rotated speakers. I was testing speakers when I noticed balance control doesn't completely mute speaker when you move L/R. Any ideas what I should look for here?

Last edited:
On my MX130, the balance control does appear to mute the other speaker. At least to the point that I can't hear any output through it. My hearing is less than perfect, though.
I'd call McIntosh customer service and see what they think.

I opened up the MX110 manual and followed the instructions for balancing my system. I could change the volume levels of each speaker. Followed directions and balanced system. After completed, balance knob still does not mute speakers L/R completely.

It sounds good in stereo mode. I am just worried if balance controls are not working, what effect does that have on stereo mode?

If there's still a bit of audio in the opposite output from the way the balance control is turned, but the down is able to be attenuated, you'll need to check the resistance of the wiper across its travels in both directions.

I'd first, however, give all the mechanical controls a good DeOxit cleaning first. I will assume the problem is found on all inputs including the Tape In selector?

Frankly, I'd not depend a lot on the balance control. They are, of course, No Longer Available even if there's a problem. Likewise, I'd suggest you not use the Power switch. Instead, leave it in the Off position and solder a shorting wire across the power terminals to ensure that no AC current passes through the switch terminals. This will ensure that it doesn't start arcing and burn up the Balance/Power control.

Lastly, you didn't indicate what remedial work has been done to the MX-110. Any leakage on the coupling caps leading into the Balance control _could_ contribute to the problem.

Cheers,

David

Thanks for the reply.

This MX-110 was completely re-capped a few years ago. I assume I tested balance controls when I got it back from the technician. Its been a few years, I never really touched balance controls until I switched speakers yesterday.

Majority of sound does go L/R when balance controls are used, just not all of it.

I have been thinking of getting a modern preamp, this might be the sign to do it.

Just checked and balance problem is on all inputs. Phono, Aux, Tape and FM.

I would expect that to be the case.

My curiosity is peaked - I'll check mine but I believe the balance pretty much eliminates the output signal from the appropriate channel.

Have you ever tried disconnecting one of the RCA inputs (say the left RCA from the AUX) and then experiment with the balance control?

I wonder if something may be going on with the MODE selector switch...:scratch2:

@David - Do you really consider bypassing the power switch of an MX110 necessary? I thought only the on/off/volume controls were the ones you had to worry about.

I just leave the switch on and use a power controller to turn the MX110 on/off.

...@David - Do you really consider bypassing the power switch of an MX110 necessary? I thought only the on/off/volume controls were the ones you had to worry about.

I just leave the switch on and use a power controller to turn the MX110 on/off.

Since the power switch is integrated onto the back of the Balance control, it is prudent that it not carry AC current if it doesn't need to. By leaving the contacts open and then shorting across the 2 terminals will do just that, this is what I've begun to recommend. This ensures that there's no risk of arcing (and the related heat) that could damage the balance control itself.

Your approach will also work but still assumes that the internal switch contacts aren't pitted and will continue to carry all the current the MX-110 pulls. The approach above doesn't make that same assumption.

Cheers,

David

Back
Top Bottom