OK I AM An IKEA Believer

Our solid mahogany hand carved rice bed was a favorite for all cats as a scratching post. The Ikea platform bed only interests them for sleeping - and it doesn't squeak.

Im a professional finisher of highend architectural and custom furniture for the best homes. I could have great cabinet makers build units for me and I'll do the finishing but why?

I buy far too many records and at least every two or three months I'm running to Ikea for 2 more 2x2 units. One thing about these units is they are light and if I have to move it will be easy. Movers or I can simply wrap each 2x2 unit in saran wrap and move it to a new location.

Hmmm I dunno about moving them loaded. I suppose 2x2's could handle an easy move. As a pro-finisher do you like endurolac or enduropoly? Any W/B you like better?

Hmmm I dunno about moving them loaded. I suppose 2x2's could handle an easy move. As a pro-finisher do you like endurolac or enduropoly? Any W/B you like better?

Don't really use much in the way of water base materials. It would also be better If I knew what your wanted to work on and needed to achieve as an end result. PM me if need be...:thmbsp:

I find this whole thing awfully amusing. It's a record rack, mean to hold a 1000 pieces of vinyl or so. So I am supposed to go buy a several 1000K hard wood built shelving system to hold my records that are worth a couple of thousand or so?

And somehow this relates to a foam filled cement floor that poses a hazard to hoof and snout when jacking a car up? Well the top row of records might be 2.5 feet off the floor, so i suspect the only body parts that are in danger are my big toe, and perhaps my ankle.

It is an inexpensive record rack that is not butt ugly. And it is far more sturdy than other knock down furniture I have encountered before.

Sheesh.

Regards
Mister Pig

Don't really use much in the way of water base materials. It would also be better If I knew what your wanted to work on and needed to achieve as an end result. PM me if need be...:thmbsp:
I'm with you on the water-based materials. I've tried a few and hated them all so far. Call me an old curmudgeon, but if I'm going to put all of that work into making or finishing a project I want the finish to meet my expectations and the water-based haven't come even close yet. Apart from oil varnishes of various varieties I'm really fond of doing French polish (with a pad), but that isn't practical or even desirable for every situation.

I find this whole thing awfully amusing. It's a record rack, mean to hold a 1000 pieces of vinyl or so. So I am supposed to go buy a several 1000K hard wood built shelving system to hold my records that are worth a couple of thousand or so?

And somehow this relates to a foam filled cement floor that poses a hazard to hoof and snout when jacking a car up? Well the top row of records might be 2.5 feet off the floor, so i suspect the only body parts that are in danger are my big toe, and perhaps my ankle.

It is an inexpensive record rack that is not butt ugly. And it is far more sturdy than other knock down furniture I have encountered before.

Sheesh.

Regards
Mister Pig
Yep. Not the finest furniture, but excellent for the purpose. Definitely not butt ugly. Most of it ends up being concealed behind LPs anyway.

I just started transferring some records into this Kallax shelf and I can say that it is very solid. I put in some 2X2's to keep the records where I want them. Probably the best $65 ever spent on record storage!

KallaxRecords_zpss8exvbc6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

How has this thread lasted so long about spending good money on Ikea furniture when you can steal quality plastic milk crates from a local store? They look great in your living room too!

You can get them in different colors including orange to match your shag carpet from the 1970's.:nutz:

How has this thread lasted so long about spending good money on Ikea furniture when you can steal quality plastic milk crates from a local store? They look great in your living room too!

You can get them in different colors including orange to match your shag carpet from the 1970's.:nutz:

Yeah, but antique furniture is better.

My wife is big on milk crates. She didn't even need to filch them as when she was running her own restaurant back in the day the delivery guy just refused to take them away. Unfortunately the ones she has are just a bit too small to hold LPs for some reason.

My wife is big on milk crates. She didn't even need to filch them as when she was running her own restaurant back in the day the delivery guy just refused to take them away. Unfortunately the ones she has are just a bit too small to hold LPs for some reason.

IIRC the very early plastic milk crates were perfect for holding LP's. The milk companies changed the size to discourage theft.

Funny you should mention that; My very FIRST gear stack (back in 1976) was painted cinder blocks and 2x10 boards! Now, that sweet little piece of furniture, by God, would have lasted any of us forever.

But!... was it truly heirloom? :D

It must be different in the US. The Canadian "metric" size milk crates don't fit the LP's anymore. I was able to get about 30 milk crates thinking I had just scored big....didn't work out for me at all. My garage sure is organized and looking good though...lol...

It must be different in the US. The Canadian "metric" size milk crates don't fit the LP's anymore. I was able to get about 30 milk crates thinking I had just scored big....didn't work out for me at all. My garage sure is organized and looking good though...lol...
My wife's milk crates are all US as she had the restaurants in California and Minnesota. There are only a couple big enough to hold an LP. She uses them for storing clothes that are out of season mostly.

Last edited:

In college, I used cinder block-and-2x12s for my stereo and records. Milk crates were for closet organizing, and the dog's toys. Wrapped them in Con-tact paper to keep any rust from getting on stuff. (Yeah, they were still metal when I was in school!)

In many places, crates are hard to come by. Dairies and stores have become almost tyrannical about "inventory shrinkage." Besides, college kids have become far more upscale compared to our generation. They'd rather use daddy's credit card at Ikea or Wayfair than scavenge for stuff like we did. :D

Back
Top Bottom