Thorens TD 165

progger7

I've heard the Thorens TD 165 is less desireable than the TD 160 or TD 145. That said, is the 165 still a solid turntable worth owning? How does this compare to a Dual CS 5000?

The TD-165 is most definitely worth owning! It is slightly less desireable than the 145/160 because the platter bearing is smaller. I personally think 9 out of ten people couldn't hear the difference if all other things were equal. The anti-skate is different, too, but I actaully prefer the 165s.

Like the Marantz 2220b, the Thorens 165 is one of the great bargains in audio right now.

Dave

I'm curious why you think the Marantz 2220b is such a great audio bargain. It's only a 20wpc unit right?

Td-165

I have one of these. I think the arm is alittle cheesy with the nylon antiskate set up. I modded mine by replacing with a t-16 arm with the magnet antiskate. I think the t-16 is a better arm. I cant' tell the difference btn my TD-145 and my TD-165 now. Both sound might good.

td-165

2220b

The 2220b is perfect for a bedroom or office system.

They sell most of the time for under a hundred bucks, yet it isthe same Marantz quality you get in, say, a 2270...only fewer watts.

If you have ever spent time listening to the tuner section of a 2220b, you would not be asking that question...I fall to asleep listening to my favorite station thru a 222ob every night. Pure heaven.

Some go for sixty bucks with a little cosmetic damage. Mark my words, some day folks willl see their true cvalue, and then...look out.

Dave

I have a TD 165 that I bought as parts and restored. I use it for mono recordings with a Grado MC+ cart. It needs more suspension tweeking (just a little too bouncy) but when I get back to it and get it done, I think it will be just fine. I use a TD 145 MkII as my main TT. :thmbsp:

The Thorens suspension is bouncy alright, and thats something you have to get used to -- or not (I couldn't, though I had no problem with the AR suspension which is theoretically about similar). But for me, the later Duals just seem too plasticy to enjoy as much as the earlier ones. So I'd go with the Thorens.

Mindful of how old this thread is, here are my two cents. I have a Marantz 2215b, and it is a little jewel. The sound is warm, clean and still crisp. I get the feeling that those boys at Marantz knew their circuitry. I also have a Thorens TD-165, with a Shure V15 Type IV cartridge. No complaints. A Sansui AU-717 drives that signal through a pair of Tannoy Mercurys.

some help..

i got a thrones td 165 and cerwin vega dx-3 speakers in great condition .
now im looking for a got reciver to complete the set any recommends?

Even the experts say the "less desirable" 165 sounds and performs just as good as the 160. Got mine for a whopping $90 CDN (or about 13 cents US) off a local "for sale" site with cracked dust cover but otherwise working (with issues). I'm into it for much more than that now with new dust cover, custom plinth (replaced the chintzy vinyl veneer pressboard one),45 adapter purchase, anti-skate hanger purchase, Motor thrust block to quiet it down (worked fantastic), new Shure M97XE cart and much more....
Mine has the 10mm inner platter shaft (so is newer) but I like the non-metal inner platter as it tones down the pinging/resonance of the assembly I believe.
With all the mods/customizations/tweaking I have no wants for anything else ;-)

Last edited:
Funny that this thread just got recent posts, I've just dropped off a gifted (w/ good dust cover!) 165 at my favorite shop for a solid run-through for any problems. I have a Shure M97XE cart on the way for it or for my old Dual if the 165 has major issues. If it's a keeper I'll be working on a custom plinth as well. And, it would seem, a solid wall mount.

Glad to hear you're happy with this TT/cart set-up. I'd like to find a spare head-shell to mount a mono cartridge as I listen to a lot of old jazz albums; any preferences you've heard or experienced?

Ebay does list alternate headshells to the very rare Thorens headshell. Am on my crappy phone right now otherwise I would send a link. Not cheap me thinks...

Timothy,
thanks again for the post. I just contacted Nick. I know you have your own recipe for a cleaning solution (and that this dead horse has been severely beaten here - Record cleaning- you're doing it wrong! | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums - , but just curious if you (or anyone else reading) as tried this. I haven't seen much of it here on AK:
Clean Vintage Vinyl Records Like A Professional Archivist With TergiKleen™ Tergitol-based Fluid Concentrate
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019YI38Z...=UTF8&colid=Z1XD22CSOKPR&coliid=IO619DGFMD320

They don't list the ingredients, so I was curious if there's an anti-static component to it too.

Back
Top Bottom