Show your Bicycle !

SX550

I have this '70s Batavus "Flying Dutchman" built in The Netherlands.
It got passed on to me from my grandfather.

fk1ymd.jpg

Its all original except the lights which i converted to battery powered LED, but i kept the original ones.

Its a 3 speed with enclosed chain and rim brakes.
Best feature is the giant "gong" like bell, you can hear me coming from a mile away :smoke:

I love the hand pin-striping on it, the narrow steel frame, the cast iron parts , genuine leather seat and the steel logo's

n71e2q.jpg
e0n5gk.jpg

2la7h48.jpg

2q8tz02.jpg

My Bridgestone XO-1. My favorite bike for light woods, fire roads and centuries. With 26" wheels I can fit 1" slicks to 1.95" knobbies. A sweet machine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 163
I guess I'll show the bike that I've just "replaced". Meaning I've purchased a new bike, and still own the "old" bike.

The old bike is a Trek 1400 that I bought in 1993 (91?). It was my first good bike and I put a ton of miles on it back in the day. I live in Iowa and although, historically we've been unfriendly to cyclists, we are home to the big ride called RAGBRAI.
So, back in the 90's I did a number of RAGBRAI's and a ton of other organized rides, including Ride the Rockies in 1996.

Then I took about a dozen years off riding and just this year, started riding again.

The Trek 1400 is modified somewhat, with some titanium parts, nice bottom braket, upgraded wheels and other stuff. I suppose I should sell it since I won't really be riding it, but there's lots of memories on that bike.

EDIT: I'll have to get pics of my new bike

Attachments

• Trek 1400.jpg
    Trek 1400.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 160
Custom-built Niner Rip 9 RDO.

I built this up as a present for myself when I retired from the Air Force last year.

It's a GREAT "one arrow in the quiver" bike. Pretty much everything that can be carbon fiber is carbon fiber-- I've got a blown shoulder and fused spine, so vibration dampening was key. (Look ma, I'm a turntable!)

The only problem? I didn't read the fine print in the marriage contract that says that if you build yourself a very, very expensive bike, you ALSO have to build your wife one that's equivalent or better!

THAT kind of hurt the bank account.

She ended up with a Pivot Mach 4 Carbon.

R.

Attachments

• P1000595.jpg
    P1000595.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 140
Covered with cobwebs, sitting on top of the bathroom in the warehouse - my yellow 1970 Schwinn Continental I bought new when I started college, and the Schwinn Varsity I bought for my then-girlfriend-now-wife in the mid 70s after hers got stolen out of their garage.

Once this place sells and we move, I plan on doing a restore job on both.

Schwinn1.jpg

My Bridgestone XO-1. My favorite bike for light woods, fire roads and centuries. With 26" wheels I can fit 1" slicks to 1.95" knobbies. A sweet machine.

Those are bada** machines. Always loved the Bridgestones, especially those XO-1's. The MB Zips are pretty sweet too

Here are some scans of my Raleigh International with Campy gear I rode cross country in 1974.(I was 24)
Regards,
Jim

Attachments

• my CC bike 001.jpg
    my CC bike 001.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom