What's this top made of? Repairing a Geneva PF250 Tape Eraser

hertzdonut

Press Play and Stand Back
I recently picked up a Geneva PF250 Bulk Tape Eraser on the bay. It arrived damaged as someone in the USPS chain decided to use it as a step stool. The good part is USPS has cut me a check for full reimbursement.

Fortunately, the unit still works and only the top sustained damage. I'm either going to repair or replace the top; however, I was curious. Is the top made of some variation of circuit board material?

It's about 3/32 thick with noticeable striations on the back you can see and feel. The top is smooth, of course.

The damage, by the way, resulted from the three prong plugged that got pushed into the top. (The cord was coiled on top, as you can see here)

Here's the pics of my unit, along with photos showing the underside of the top.

- Jeff

Agreed, Formica resin/laminate or other similar type.

If I were you, I wouldn't even bother replacing it; it's just a cover with no other purpose. A bit of duct tape and you're good.

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Thanks, guys, now that I look at it, of course you're right.

If I were you, I wouldn't even bother replacing it; it's just a cover with no other purpose. A bit of duct tape and you're good.

Well yeah, but where's the fun in that? ;) (Hmm...Gears begin to turn....)

-Jeff

Yes, right on.
I would use a plexiglass and make a cover transparent...
It might get scratched, though but it would be fun to see inards of it.
Good luck

Thanks, guys, I'm going to come up with something. In the meantime, I've applied some contact paper with a stone pattern on it.

Meh. At least it looks better than a busted top.

I think I'll see about hunting down some small scraps of formica, thankfully, the top is only 6 1/16" x 10".

I'll post back with some photos once I get something I'm happy with.

-Jeff

Dude that was your chance to practice your automotive bodywork skills. Pound out the dent as best you can, bondo and smooth it out and then Satin Black.

Or just grab one of the formica counter tops being thrown away by the thousands to upgrade to some rock, concrete or synthetic and scrape a chunk of it loose. clean it up and install.

Dude that was your chance to practice your automotive bodywork skills. Pound out the dent as best you can, bondo and smooth it out and then Satin Black.

You may have been kidding, but that's my back-up plan.

Or just grab one of the formica counter tops being thrown away by the thousands to upgrade to some rock, concrete or synthetic and scrape a chunk of it loose. clean it up and install.

Just happened to snag a sample piece of laminate. I'll be cutting it down to size and boring new holes for the screws. It's only a 1/16 of an inch, so I've got to be real, real gentle with the counterbore. If that proves problematic, I might have to build up the edges to get additional thickness, we'll see.

-Jeff

Although it was a way to repair the unit, the paint would transfer to the reels as they are rotated on the unit. so some nice clear tape or some other cover for anything that might rub off on the reels. Maybe not as much a concern for plastic reels or 7" due to less weight but the 10½" reels would need the protection.

I have had that same unit for several years now and gotta say it is one hell of a demagnetizer. It will even handle 10.5" x 1/2" metal reels with ease. That's a 15 amp unit!

Although it was a way to repair the unit, the paint would transfer to the reels as they are rotated on the unit. so some nice clear tape or some other cover for anything that might rub off on the reels. Maybe not as much a concern for plastic reels or 7" due to less weight but the 10½" reels would need the protection.

Good point about the paint eventually rubbing off. Also the reason I stayed away from a thin veneer top. No matter how much topcoat is applied, it will wear away.

I have had that same unit for several years now and gotta say it is one hell of a demagnetizer. It will even handle 10.5" x 1/2" metal reels with ease. That's a 15 amp unit!

Yeah, Bugler, it certainly seems to be. I've only used it a few times, but those magnetic particles know who's boss! ;)

I did finish up the new top. I used the laminate sample I had, I really like the pattern. The only issue I ran into putting it together was when I noticed the metal plates of the electromagnet actually stuck up above the top, on on end. (So it protruded up at an angle. I guess their quality control was, uh, lacking a bit)

I decided to build up the edge with thin strips of plexi, and that raised the top just enough to clear. (You can see that detail in the fourth image.)

Here's a few pics of how it turned out!

-Jeff

Looks good. Nice work. Next guy to rebuild that unit in 2050 or so, hope he can find the formica like you did.

Back
Top Bottom