Sansui 5000x won't power on - value?

AlaskaNerd

I'm in the market for a receiver and was excited to come across a Sansui 5000x today. However, it does not power on and is marked with a tag reading "bad power switch". The owner of the shop was out and the kid working couldn't tell me much about, let alone what they're asking or if it's even for sale.
I plan to stop back there later this week.
Is a "bad power switch" a likely/common problem for this model?
Any suggestions as to what I could look for that might indicate other, bigger issues?
What's a reasonable price to pay for a 5000x that won't turn on?
Or should I just stay away?
Thanks!

Not much you can tell without being able to power it on, but open it up, see if it looks clean, if not, look for disturbed dust or other indications that someone has been in there. (not a good sign if you can see missing components or disconnected wires).

They might well be wrong about the power switch, it could be something else. As regards a replacement power switch, I don't know the availability of a replacement, the only sure fire way is from a unit being parted out. There are workarounds for the power switch like taking it apart and rebuilding it.

All things considered, if the unit is in reasonable condition cosmetically, I would be inclined to buy it. We shouldn't discuss how much here - AK Rules forbid this (you can ask this in the "Dollars and Sense" section here on AK). The 5000X is a highly regarded receiver that sounds really nice when brought up to snuff.

(please post future questions about the Sansui in the 'Exclusively Sansui' section here on AK unless you wish to discuss an issue with the tuner in the 5000X ;) )

Lastly, Welcome to AK!

Last edited:
Blown output transistors or shorted power supply cap would cause the fuse to blow and have the same effect as a bad power switch. My rule is: never offer more than $50 for something that doesn't turn on. The exception would be a very high value item, like a Marantz 19, where, if you get it working, it's worth a lot of money or you could sell parts off it if it's not repairable. With a dead unit, if the power transformer is open, you will have a hard time finding a replacement. Pretty much everything else can be fixed.

Check eBay sold price for as-is untested or not working.

Can you fix? Do you know a good vintage tech?

If it's in good condition outside and intact, there is some value in the case, knobs, face plate. The controls have some value but you need to test them.
The rest would be hard to flip since it doesn't work so you have no idea if they are good.

I fix stuff and $25-$50 is my range for intact non-working items that are worth fixing.
The 5000x is worth fixing.

They are too heavy to ship to a good tech unless you really want to have a 5000x

Thanks for all the input. I went back to the shop today. With the owner I replaced a missing fuse and the unit owed on. However, we had to hold the power switch in position to keep it on... It is broken.
Ask lights appear to work and we listened to some radio they headphones. A little noisy but sounded OK.
He wouldn't go any lower than $60 so I'm passing for now. Don't know how much it will cost to get it cleaned up and fully operational.
Other thing is I was able to pinpoint preinduction to March 1971 but I can't figure out when precisely sansui switched the circuit board they were using.
Thanks again for all your input. Very helpful!

$60 is good.

Power switch issue isn't a killer.
The X had good boards, the A is the tricky one.

If you are intent on passing it over at least tell us where it is!

Went back for it and offered the $60 after some more reading and he gave it to me for $50. Straight to the repair shop and now I wait...

I have one of these with the same power switch problem and it seems this is a common problem with them. It also seems there were 2 different switches used, mine has a round body and there is a rectangular body one. They do not appear to be interchangable, I jhave not been able to find a replacement for mine, the others I have found several available on line, on ebay, etc.
Please let us know how the repair works out.

I've had to replace the power switches on all three of my Marantz receivers. It's no big deal because they're available. I've never seen replacement switches for Sansuis and I have a 5000 that I'm very fond of. I cross my fingers every time I push that button.

A tag on the back shows that the bad boards were replaced in 1982.

Hi, I had my 5000x rebuilt a few years ago, after taking it to the best electronics repair locally. I took it in and the clerk asked me what's wrong with it, I said well I don't know but I want it rebuilt, caps replaced i spied some bulging and such, aligned and tuned and such. I had about a 750.00 total in mind and said I would order premium caps if they provided a list.
A month goes by and I call to see what progress has been made, the clerk says it's ready now come get it. I called in sick the next day and went to bring my baby home.
when I got there, the guys tells me they couldn't fix it because it had a broken power switch / the round type / I was like okay, I'll source you a nos one no problem , then I realized when they removed the front plate they lost the spring for the switch although it still worked just no return when pushed.
then I saw tuner knob sitting out about 1/2" from the face as they had pulled very hard before discovering the set screw.

I tell you this long story because a decent tech with integrity and a passion for his craft is rarer than that new power switch. Most of the answers you get here are from people who do their own repairs. The majority electronic repair stores still running are ex vcr guys turned into flat screen wunderkind doctors. I would suggest you develop a relationship with a tech here. While I a supposed newb here, I lurked for years and just recently singed up, but I would trust blhagstrom and it would be worth it to me to send it to him and get the skinny on your unit.
One more item to mention,I also have a 5000 and it has the dreaded bad boards, been doing garage duty and its never been serviced and sings nicely so much for that killer sansui. I would challenge readers to claim their sansui went up in flames and would really like to hear their story about it

Member Robisme specializes in Sansui. He did extensive work on my overheating 5000 and charged me only what he paid for the parts. It sounds wonderful!

He may know where to get a replacement switch or how to repair yours.

Nothing against blhagstrom. I don't know who he is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom