Surfing Teahupoo on a Motorbike

oldgringo

Canadian / Brit - I Support Ukraine.
"Australian stunt rider Robbie Maddison has done the unthinkable - catching big Tahitian waves on a motorbike.
His motorbike was modified for the incredible feat, with small skis visible on the front wheel and a propeller tyre on the back.
Maddison told Surfer Magazine the idea came to him when he was on the back of a boat watching his wife ride a wakeboard.
"Something clicked in my head. I fantasised putting skis on a bike and riding on water. It was a stupid vision at the time,
but I kept toying with it, playing with designs and concepts, and eventually it became a reality"."
attachment.php

~ Robbie Maddison ~

Aussie Daredevil Surfs Waves on His Motorbike

Interview with 9News.au [1 + 1 clips!].

DC presents Robbie “Maddo” Maddison’s “Pipe Dream” [4 min.] [4K]

Cheers, og

Attachments

• DirtbikeSurfer.jpg
    DirtbikeSurfer.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Saw a clip of him riding across a wave on the news tonight- pretty amazing - and it really flipped out the surfers he rode past!

Yes Heather, pretty amazing, 'surfers look out'! Who was it that said 'Never, never, never give up...' [rhet.] :).

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Tractors in the surf??

Yeah?? Hell, anyone can photoshop a still - the trick is - -
Show me real time VIDEO of the tractors ...

I linked to the Youtube video of the bike in the surf - 4 minutes worth of video

Last edited:
its totally real.

so is this one:
cowabunga.jpg

For real, real:
We had a wave where I grew up that was called TruckDrivers. It broke with a 30'+ face, and a tube large enough to give it its name.
TruckDrivers just starting to show:
findo_lunadabay.jpg

Yeah?? Hell, anyone can photoshop a still - the trick is - -
Show me real time VIDEO of the tractors ...

I linked to the Youtube video of the bike in the surf - 4 minutes worth of video

As a guy that spent thirty years surfing really large waves, I know intimately that you don't mess around with waves, or, you die.
That guy is in the wrong element. If he and the scooter go over the falls, he doesn't have a 5lb foam surfboard going over with him. He gets the reef, and the hundreds of pounds bike.

"Australian stunt rider Robbie Maddison has done the unthinkable - catching big Tahitian waves on a motorbike.
His motorbike was modified for the incredible feat, with small skis visible on the front wheel and a propeller tyre on the back.
Maddison told Surfer Magazine the idea came to him when he was on the back of a boat watching his wife ride a wakeboard.
"Something clicked in my head. I fantasised putting skis on a bike and riding on water. It was a stupid vision at the time,
but I kept toying with it, playing with designs and concepts, and eventually it became a reality"."
attachment.php

~ Robbie Maddison ~

Aussie Daredevil Surfs Waves on His Motorbike

Interview with 9News.au [1 + 1 clips!].

DC presents Robbie “Maddo” Maddison’s “Pipe Dream” [4 min.] [4K]

Cheers, og

If he stops on the water he will sink.:yes:

its totally real.

so is this one:
cowabunga.jpg

For real, real:
We had a wave where I grew up that was called TruckDrivers. It broke with a 30'+ face, and a tube large enough to give it its name.
TruckDrivers just starting to show:
findo_lunadabay.jpg

it is real

if he slows down he sinks

both wheels spinnin - probably pretty stable

the front and rear skis have cutouts for the wheels

amazing how small the front and rear skis are

I wonder how fast and how slow he can go

I never thought it wasn't real. Its just an extremely stupid thing to do in such a dangerous circumstance.
Very few people have ever experienced what a wave of that size can do to you. I have, and I've been flown to the hospital emergency room by Coast Guard helicopter before, from it, as well. That wave in the bottom image, TruckDrivers, is/was my home break.

I finally watched this spectacle.

Like I said, I grew up surfing, and, in a place where we had no sand; all rocks, reefs and point breaks. I learned how the ocean works, and how to survive in it.

One year, I built a fishing boat based on a kit hull, that you can purchase, and rig the rest yourself.
It was a 17' Carolina Skiff, with a 60hp motor.
My wife and i would take it out of Dana Point, and when the waves were big, we'd head offshore about a mile to what is called the Cloud Breaks. This is a series of offshore reefs that break way offshore, they'd break for a long while, and then hit deeper water, where they'd reform into a moving, non-breaking wave. They'd get closer to the beach, and form up again, and start breaking.
We'd head out, and, wait for a wave, and then power up, and catch the wave. My wife was on one side of the console holding on and I was on the other. I'd mostly keep the helm in a go-straight attitude, and would step to the inside of the gunnel, the part of the boat facing the wave; side of boat facing wave. I'd weight down that inner edge, and the boat would turn like a giant longboard, and we'd be off.
The wave would pitch out, and all but cover the rear of the boat, and we'd ride it an an angle to the wave, exactly like surfers do (I'm one of them). We'd ride that wave, until it backed off, and stared rolling across deep water. I'd rev the motor back up, and we'd be riding down the face of a sloped wave that was't breaking, until we got inside, where it lined up again, and we'd ride it to almost the beach. This was nearly a mile of riding a single wave.

boat surfing.
I wasn't the only one.
There was another guy with a larger Boston Whaler (22'?) with two outboards who'd be out there doing the same thing. I swear I saw him in a tube ride one day, when it was just massive out there.

My boat board (similar to this one):
128740_2183425.jpg

Back
Top Bottom