help with new headphones

silmir

I want to buy some kind of high-end headphones to enjoy good music, but I am new in this area, so i would like to hear any advice if you can help . so far in my research I looked at B&O beoplay H8 and H6, i love their design, but they are a bit pricey and I dont want to spent money if its not worth and I can get something much better and much cheaper, I was also looking at headphones as IPhilips Fidelio M1MKII,PHILIPS Fidelio M2BTBK,Sennheiser Momentum,Sennheiser hd 650. I have read many reviews on these but maybe, but still not sure what to buy, maybe if you can compare these or recommend even something different i would be really happy, I want to use them on my pc,hifi or smartphone,mostly at home but if i can they them outside it will be good. They will be used for music, movies, gaming, traveling (train, car, plane) thank you in advance for every advice.

Welcome to the forum.

Basically, you're going to need to decide if you're also willing to buy a headphone amp. Portable devices like iPhones, etc. just don't have the power to run some sets of headphones.

There are others on the market that are designed with portable devices in mind, and sound really good, yet require minimum power to get them lit up.

I can speak from experience that the Grado RS1e will run straight from the headphone port of an iPhone and sound great while doing so. I would suspect any of their sub $500 line would work well for you if you don't want to add the expense of a dedicated headphone amp to your purchase yet.

If you want something a bit more sleek and modern looking, have a look at Yamaha's Pro 500. They get great reviews on the net, have an inline mic cable to work with portable devices, and in piano gloss black, look slick.

Though as I mentioned in an earlier thread, I have more headphones than I have ears, but those are probably going to be my next headphone purchase.

http://m.usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/headphone-earphones/pro-500.html

Another variable to bear in mind is if you want open-back or closed-back headphones. Most of the highest end designs are open back to achieve the highest performance, but that sort of design doesn't work well in environments where you need to keep your music in or stop outside noise getting in.

Given the range of usage and content you mention it sounds like you'll need something of a jack of all trades, so you may want to check out the reviews section on head-fi.org and see if there's a store where you can actually try on you short-list as comfort will be a big factor is you're going to be wearing them a lot.

I haven't heard the new Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s but the old ones sounded good for not much cash (if you could deal with the 'on ear' fit). The Master & Dynamic MH40s sound and look really cool too.

I have read many reviews on many web sites but i just got confused with the, I really would like to try some of those , but it is hard because i don't have shop with then in a reasonable range to travel, just B&O and i wont be able to compare them with any others if they are worth their higher price. I really like the look of beoplay headphones but I dont want waste money if they are not worth it. So what do you think, are the beoplay H6 a H8 worth their price? In many reviews I have read they argue about it.
So far I used just shity earphones under 20 euro, so I cannot even tell my preferences so I would like them to be balanced in every aspect.
Probably I would prefer closed-back headphones, I think that they are more suitable for my needs.
THANKS for every advice

If you want closed headphones, that eliminates the Grado, most Beyer and
most Sennheiser headphones. The momentum over ears would probably be
your best bet, but even then your phone will only do a marginal job of driving
them. Not familiar with the B&O cans, let's just say they haven't made much
of a dent in the market here in the U.S. Another issue to consider is what
type(s) of music you listen. The Momentums are a good all-round can, but
probably not a fave with Metal heads. Another closed and portable can
that will work fairly well with a phone is the Beyer T51p.

Last edited:
The questions that no one has asked are, "How much are you willing to spend?", "Do you want closed back (doesn't disturb seatmates) or open back?", and "What will you be driving them with?". Please elaborate.

I am willing to spend under 500euro, I prefer closed back headphones. I will use them on notebook, smartphone and sound system. so If it is possible i would like to use them without amp.

I am willing to spend under 500euro, I prefer closed back headphones. I will use them on notebook, smartphone and sound system. so If it is possible i would like to use them without amp.

If your primary sources are going to be your notebook and smartphone, I would stay in the 300 or so euro range. Save the big money for when you move to better sources and a dedicated headphone amp.
Closed phones such as the Sony 7520s or one of the Audio-Technica models would be a good place to start. It will give you something to later compare with other phones and get a sense of what sort of sound profile you like.

Good luck with your search.

what is a good portable sound source? and do I even with good source need amp? or is the amp good solution even with the bad source?

Check out the NAD HP50. They have a fairly open headphone type of sound but are a closed headphone. Works fine out of a Iphone without an amp.

First you have to set a budget according to your need. If you are going to buy high end headphones you may need use an amp with it. I’m using AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone with a Lehmann amp. I bought it from bay bloor radio in Toronto.This around-ear, semi-open headphones are a masterwork in sonic, ergonomic, and aesthetic performance.

Back
Top Bottom