Question about old tape?

markpilk

I've had good luck with finding old R2R tape in good shape, but I have one reel of Maxell UD that leaves a mess when playing. I've just used a buik eraser on a 10.5 reel, but not sure I what to use the tape. Is this something that will eventually clean up if I am cleaning after every play? Im not aware of the Maxell having SSS and it does not make the mess that some Ampex I've tried. I tend to stay away from Ampex!

Mark

Hi Mark, can you describe better the kind of mess your tape is leaving? Not all tape decay is SSS and it it is necessary to know the symptoms. A visit to Richard Hess's website may help you too.

I have never heard any reports of SSS on a Maxell tape. Of course, poor storage conditions can make any tape break down/shed oxide. It's possible that the tape on the reel is not Maxell, but that is somewhat unlikely, as Maxell branded 10.5 reels go not come apart, making pancake swapping very inconvenient.

You could try running the tape for a couple of passes, and cleaning the path afterwards. If you are still get shedding after that-time to toss the tape.

Last edited:
One more thought after re-reading your post: if your purpose is to record and not to play an old recording of value, there is no point in using this defective tape any more. I'd just toss it and keep the reel so I can use it for fresh tape.

Thanks for the info and yes, I may end up trashing if needed. The mess is not the the shred type or the dust type, but just the brown stuff that usually needs the be cleaned off heads and rollers, but after one play it looks like a machine that had many plays without cleaning

Is there leader tape on the beginning and end of the tape? Take a look at it, you might be able to tell if it's Maxell or not by that. I never heard of a Maxell tape failing, I had tapes that smelled like they came out of a bad storage place, some had failed, but the Maxell was holding up great.

Back
Top Bottom