Need help with a KR-V9030

supwiddiss

It just developed a 120hz "square wave raspy" buzzing in all channels. FM is very staticy with weak reception in the background. Buzzing gets louder as the volume is rotated higher. Inputs have audio with the buzz in the background. I suspect the power supply.

Everything seems to operate ok. Protection relays are clicking like they should and it powers on ok with all functions working. I pulled the plug on it for the time being

Does anyone have a schematic and voltages for this receiver? It's a virgin unit that I've owned since it was new (waited almost 2 months to get it). The cover has never been off. I know a recap is in order. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a sparse but adequate bench of equipment. Signal gen., 'scope, DMM.

Salutations beforehand, all!

Dang. Expected to have someone jump in here and help. Anyone with experience on the KR-V series of receivers? Going to lift the lid off today and probe the supply and see what I can see. Will be my first look inside of it.

Without some idea of its internal construction, all anyone here might be doing is guessing. So, I'd be looking at the regulated and unregulated power supplies.

I guess nobody came up with much help. I found a schematic of a KR-V7030 on the 'net. Pretty similar to what I see inside. It's probably just the filter caps. Just being cautious and thorough.

Still if anyone comes up with a diagram for my 9030 please let me know. It would be appreciated.

Isn't that Kenwood an early Surround AVR from the '90s? If so you'd be better off just getting a new 7.1 AVR than trying to repair that. The newer units would also have better surround processing support (Tru HD surround formats for Blu-rays) and HDMI connections?

I know, I have a Kenwood 9010 in storage in the basement. A beast of an early Dolby Pro-logic receiver that puts out a good 130 watts x 2 and also handles 4 ohms loads because it's pretty much a stereo receiver (probably weighs over 35 lbs) with no center channel amp and 20 watts x 2 channels for rear pro logic? Draws almost twice the current from the wall socket as your unit? 5 amps.

Good luck!

cnh

Appreciate it. It is a beast. Only been out of the cabinet twice in the past 15 years. Once to move. I like Kenny's. Thing is it's just like new in appearence and everything works great. Not really into anything but playing audio through it. Usually stereo only (but the DSP is nice too). I have all of the for that year matching compoinents too connected through the data link. Would be a shame to put it to rest because of of dirty supply voltage, which I'm sure it is. I'm thinking a cap or two puked. Hence the 60 and 120hz combined hum.

It's been awhile. Thanks everyone. The 9030 is dead gorgeous and looks brand new. I'm sure after the power supply stage is gone over it will work like it looks. It sits in the original box and packing currently. The caps haven't puked so it should be fine until I can bench it.

Instead of looking for brand new I found a very sweet package deal consisting of a VR-5900, Entre' MR-H1, and KMF-X9000 amp. A very sweet package indeed. I had to ebay a remote for it because the batteries leaked and fouled the pc board.

Anyways. Through these months my dad recently passed on. I dragged up from my job in Florida and am living on his farm in oh-its-ungodly-frikkin'-cold Pa. I'm managing his estate and sort of taking a bit of time out after working my rear end off since like forever.

My speakers are Infinity RS-625's in front with a Center 1 above the Sony LCD. Running Reference 1's suspended from the ceiling in the rear and a pair of really old Pioneer CS-88a's that I've had since I bought them in the 70's hanging out in the rear corners of the living room. Every single Infinity has had the surrounds replaced. I got rather good at that. Same for the Boston sub that was given to me.

What's going on with rubber rot in modern speakers?

Anyways here's the kicker. I lived in a condo in Florida for years. Neighbor respect kept me from spinning the light meter with my rig blasting. So I get here and set it all up. Lots of room and it sounds awesome. I cranked up the 5900 and started smelling something funky. Not a voice coil smell, not an epoxy smell. Have you turned on a forced air heating system after it set a few months? THAT SMELL!. The 625's have bass ports coaxially in the center where the cap usually would be with a nifty little spike sticking out. Years of dust was burning off the voice coils. 10 minutes of "moderate" Crue and the smell was gone after I shot some canned air around the ports .

Go figure.

One funny thing is the Pioneers, old as they may be, are still air tight and the surrounds are perfect. You can gently push the bass driver cones in the cabinets and let go and get that slow damped action as they return. And they sound awesome for the job they're doing. A bit of contact cleaner on the mid/high switches and I'm golden.

Back
Top Bottom