Can you have too much Basic gear?

HyKlas

I have had the T1 / C1 / M1 combo in the garage running a pair of LS-1200 speakers for quite some time now. But what came home with me today is another T1, a C2, an M2, an X1 (never seen this piece before), and a GE-1100. Also thrown in was some LS-P9000 speakers (yeah, I know) and a Sony 200 disc CD.

New ones look to be international versions. All have voltage switches and the T1 has some green on the face vs all black on the other. Maybe someone can chime in with the difference?

That brings me up to 6 Basic components and a few pair of matching speakers. 7 if you count the eq I guess, which I don't as it doesn't say Basic and does me no good. The LS-1200 speakers are keepers with their cast drivers and beefy cabinets but the 9000s, not so much... Suppose I'll make one good system and dump off the rest.

The C2 needs the obvious balance pot repair but everything else is flawless. Really looking forward to tinkering around tomorrow when it's light out. Will try to fix the pot first but we'll see how that goes. All in all, I'm happy with the new purchase.

I have some Basic Kenwood as well, I love it, it is funny, my balance pot has an issue too, I guess it is common problem

I plan to attempt a fix before bypassing it all together. Looks tricky but it seems like it can be done.

Anyone have good luck with the DRM audio kits? I like the Super DLD update for the M2...

The Original M1 was my favorite of the Basic line. That amplifier exceeded expectations. The C-1 was a nice little preamp as well. Loved the variable loudness control.

I have yet to fire up the C2/M2 combo and it may be a while before it happens. Want to put new binding posts on the M2 and possibly the Super DLD mod if I can find some info. The M1 did me well, looking forward to the M2.

Well, the balance pot is officially toast on the C2. Both of the variable resistors are fried. Will be doing the bypass mod once I get my hands on the 180k resistors. Maybe some time down the line I can find a unit with broken fingers / good resistor boards and make one working unit out of the two.

*edit* Forgot the pic...

Attachments

• CAM00410.jpg
    CAM00410.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Well, the balance pot is officially toast on the C2. Both of the variable resistors are fried. Will be doing the bypass mod once I get my hands on the 180k resistors. Maybe some time down the line I can find a unit with broken fingers / good resistor boards and make one working unit out of the two.
The most common problem in the C2....Balance Knob.
I have picked up 2 more C2's (cheap) for spare's....Going to do a Recap and Op-Amp replacement...Deep Diving the C2...:no: I will say this..This was made to be a "Throw Away" piece. Cheap parts as to quality of the construction used.

The M2A has Good Quality and the "Sound" after my Recap...It's a Muscle Car.

My Kenwood M2A Recap:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=550503

Thanks for the link. I'd like to mod my M2 to "a" spec once DRM is back. Will be leaving well enough alone for the time being, other than the binding posts that are on the way anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom