KR9340 vs. KR9940?

anderslober

Yikes...not again!
Hello Forum........what are the main differences between these two receivers? If any.......................thanks.

Has anybody got "innards" of either or both?

Please post.........thanks.

I picked up a kr9940 a short while ago.....I intend to repair it..........are there any gurus around with a lot of knowledge on this quad?

If anybody has nice pics...innards an'all....please post....thanks.

I bought a 9340 brand new back in ..... 1974 I think it was. Nice receiver....really nice actually. To answer your question, the only difference I'm aware of is in output wattage. The 9340 was good for 40 watts/channel x 4 channels. The later model 9940 bumped that up to 50 watts/channel.

My 9340 got away from me over the years and I regretted it. So I soothed my pain by acquiring a 9940 later on.

BTW, did yours come with the (optional, plug in) KCD-2 demodulator? My original receiver had that plus there was a small calibration record for the demodulator. Both are important ONLY if you're gonna set up a turntable and cartridge to play CD-4 record albums.

Last edited:
Ohighway...yes mine has the KCD-2 demodulator.....it is in quite good condition(for 40usd!)........calibration record I dont have. I also have no CD-4 albums......may get some in the future.
Is your 9940 recapped and working?
Thanks..........

I picked up a kr9940 a short while ago.....I intend to repair it..........are there any gurus around with a lot of knowledge on this quad?

If anybody has nice pics...innards an'all....please post....thanks.

I don't have a 9940, but do have an 8340 which I believe is very similar.

Some pics of the 9940. Don't know the originator, as received from friend.

Attachments

• Kenwood KR-9940 open top.jpg
    Kenwood KR-9940 open top.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Kenwood KR-9940 open bottom.jpg
    Kenwood KR-9940 open bottom.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 76
Mine is working but hasn't been treated to a recap. Regarding other Kenwood quad recievers, some of the "lesser" ones actually had a nice feature that was missing on the top of the line 9340/9940. I think some of those were termed as "two/four" and the stereo output was almost double the per channel output that you'd get in four channel mode. Is the 8340 like that Zeropoint ?

Mine is working but hasn't been treated to a recap. Regarding other Kenwood quad recievers, some of the "lesser" ones actually had a nice feature that was missing on the top of the line 9340/9940. I think some of those were termed as "two/four" and the stereo output was almost double the per channel output that you'd get in four channel mode. Is the 8340 like that Zeropoint ?

Hi, yes, the 8340 has a BTL switch on it's backside which straps amps in pairs to deliver around 60wpc in stereo mode. A very useful feature that I use a lot, as it drives my AR-5 & AR-12s very nicely.:thmbsp:

For more info on the 8340, including brochure and circuit schematics, take a look at my QuadraphonicQuad thread http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?14011-RCVR-Trio-KR-8340 (hope it's ok to refer to external forums, here:worried:)

Cool. I always thought Kenwood shortchanged the TOTL quad receiver buyers by not including that feature. I guess their rationale was that by the time you were up to 50 watts/channel (on the 9940 anyway) that you didn't need any strapping feature to obtain more power in stereo. I'll check your thread. Enjoy your receiver!!

I just started to disassemble mine 9340, need to clean all the pots and change a few lamps inside... but today I figured out that a power switch is malfunctioning and I need to replace it... gotta start looking (not a problem finding one that fits, the problem is that all the new ones have a rectangular bit where the knob goes and the original one has a flat blade kind... and they are not interchangeable so no donor parts available :no:)

here are some pics when I got it, one lamp behind a signal strength dial is dead, everything else works despite the dust :banana:

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2320.jpg

it has a few scratches Im not happy about, but for a 40 yr old, its more than just nice...

it came without KCD-2

Pamook that's a nice receiver ! 9340 , my first Kenwood quad. I think I bought mine new in 1974, I'll have to look at the receipt. (I still have my literature, but the receiver is long gone) For what it's worth not having the KCD-2 demodulator isn't really a huge issue. After living with my system for awhile, my time spent with CD-4 records was pretty limited. They were in somewhat short supply, the price was higher on them, and the support equipment ( proper cartridge and low capacitance cables for the turntable) were not cheap. I spent most of my time with stereo sources, and I"d use the SQ matrix most of the time..... worked great !

I am dealing with a seller who insists that the buyer must "take all or nothing". As you would expect, there's lots of stuff that has no interest for me, including a KR 9340. I do not even know if it works, but there seems to be lots of positive opinions on this piece. Maybe I could replace my old garage system with this piece, but it sounds like you cannot strap the amps together. Has anybody tried to modify the amp internally to achieve the strapping? If so, was it easy to do?

KR9340 is 40 watts RMS x 4 channels = 160 watts RMS. Should be more than enough for a garage system.

Those receivers are so complicated I wouldn't expect any modifications to be easy.

I am dealing with a seller who insists that the buyer must "take all or nothing". As you would expect, there's lots of stuff that has no interest for me, including a KR 9340. I do not even know if it works, but there seems to be lots of positive opinions on this piece. Maybe I could replace my old garage system with this piece, but it sounds like you cannot strap the amps together. Has anybody tried to modify the amp internally to achieve the strapping? If so, was it easy to do?

Back
Top Bottom