I want to recap my ns690s

Also, a question about placement. Against the wall? A little out from the wall? Toe in? No toe in? You can see my room in the first post. I just haven't had time to play with them, my wife gets upset when I pay more attention to the gear than her, especially since I've gone over the years budget for my toys.

BTW
Are there resistors in the crossover that would benefit from being swapped out? I can't find a schematic.
Any resistors in the path of the signal would make some difference.

A schematic would be good. A possible improvement can also come from replacing the internal wiring with a better wire, subtle but it all adds up.
A guy here may have done his up a while back http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59021 might get some tips from him if he is still active.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I hold off on resistors and internal wiring. I know the capacitor thing is highly debated. I'm dying to hear if these swanky, expensive to me caps are going to dramatically change the sound. I have these high hopes, but I'm prepared for subtle improvement. hopefully, in the right places. I know I don't have this "crazy revealing" amplifier, but I know the 4100 is a damn good one. My DAC is nice, I have a treated room, I use a power conditioner for everything but my receiver. I think I know enough to know on paper, it seems like the two we're meant for each other. They don't seam to image as good as my modded kg4s, and I don't think those image that we'll at all. The midrange and tight bass is what's making want to try to improve on them. Right now, all the sound is coming from the speakers in a vertical line (very boxy sounding), with a very narrow phantom center.im not getting the micro details in recording I know very well at lower volume. Do these sound like symptoms of bad caps? I spent the money on the boutique caps to try and open in up, ad depth, and increase clarity and focus. If these changes aren't pretty noticeable my wife is never going to let me forget it. And she's being pretty supporting of my "search for the sound".

Last edited:
Those things like the soundstage. should improve, but at first it might be messy, at least till the burn-in some (another debated thing). Especially the M-Cap Supreme's.

As I've said before, I'm not doing the work on these. Should I ask what kind of solder the tech uses? Would it even matter since all the other components will have the old solder joints still?

There are no resistors in the Yamaha crossovers I've worked on.

...and, yes, if you use quality caps you will hear an improvement. How much, who knows...but it will be there.

I've learned a lot researching crossovers. So, there are just inductor(s) and caps in the crossover?Thanks for everyone's help. I think I'm going to go find a nice deal on a pair of speakers I wouldn't normally buy because I don't need them. like 75 bucks. And buy some very inexpensive film caps and start trying to do this stuff myself. Parts express website has a lot great stuff to read on speaker building. My caps and terminals both shipped today.

Just got the caps, these things are huge!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Yeah, they are big, that's why someone was taking about the art of arrangement when doing this ;)

Great idea practicing this stuff on sacrificial speakers, helps hone soldering skills, the main thing is to get a good physical connection, then seal with ya' solder .

It's worth grabbing something like a 60w variable solder station, will last a long time.

Three hours after I dropped the speakers off, the guy calls and says that the two small electrolytic caps are BOTH 18uf, not 18 and 33. He said something about using the 33 in parallel. What do I do?

Cool, was a little worried then with the previous post.

Now you will have to get the tunes cranking for a few weeks :)

I have never considered it so, I just play as I normally do.

Some folk will either run off a tuner continually in a separate room to speed up the process, and some will feed pink/white noise to do the same. this way they can have a listen straight up and then no listen again till they have at least 50+ hours up, so they can hear the change more so.

I wouldn't be too fussed and just play as normal, but that's me.

Everything is sounding good, better than before, music is clearer and the sound stage is much nicer. The bass as improved as well. I'm hoping the smooth out as I break them in.

Yeah! I'd like to see pictures too! I asked if he could take a picture before he put it back together, he said "I don't have a cell phone". When I picked them up he gave me all the old parts. He also told me it took a lot of work to get everything to fit and I might snap a wire if I try to take a picture. He assured me that everything was zip tied and hot-glued, and a secure as he could get it. They sound MUCH better, and I'll take his word for it. I'm hearing things settle down after under 10 hours, I'm still hoping for a smoother midrange, but I think I canoe with these for a while. I'm going to have to anyway. I'll report back after 50 or 100 hours. I leave music playing when I'm at work. I'll be watching for snarky comments about the guy that put them in and how I have no idea what the look like.

Back
Top Bottom