rx v995 ... 2 speaker setup??

sly6t

Hi all .
Iv just got my hands on a mint condition rx v995 for a second lounge room of mine. Plan is to just run a 2 channel 2 speaker set up with some good large floor speakers. Never been a fan of surround sound.

Problem is unlike a later model yamaha amp and two speaker set up im running in my other lounge room, on that amp im able to "in setttings" turn off the center , rear and sub to get a great 2 channel set up .

With the rx v995 it will not let me turn off the rears .only has large or small options. I have my large 2 speakers hooked up to A main ... with option "large"...and nothing else.

Question is ..am I able to turn off sound going to the rear..the rears that are not there.????

Thanks
Chris.

I have one of these that I'm not using now, and the left and right channels sound very nice and will provide plenty of power in a 2 channel rig (the center and surround channels are all class D I think, but also sound good).

I replaced it years ago mainly because the motorized remote volume control quit working, a common issue with many motorized designs. I kept it in case I wanted to use it to power a surround system in the future.

I'm pretty sure I still have the owner's manual... I'll look for it.

Iv got the manual but it only ever talks about a 4 or 5 speaker set up ..using rears ..

What is class D?

Just want to work out if im losing any sound from the mains thats going to rears, rears im not running .if I am, is there a setting or option to turn off rears.

So basically if the mains are at "large" .. center "none"
Subwoofer "main" and rear at "small" its my best chance for a 2 channel setup...
Thats how I read it that you cant turn the rears off but set to "small" not much sound goes to them.

Iv got the manual but it only ever talks about a 4 or 5 speaker set up ..using rears ..

What is class D?

Just want to work out if im losing any sound from the mains thats going to rears, rears im not running .if I am, is there a setting or option to turn off rears.

Class D is an amplifier design that uses digital processing technology in the output stage that became popularized 15 years or so back, although I think it was first tried years before that. Class D is known for high efficiency and small power supply designs (I say at the risk of being redundant). In general, they work well, but many think class A/B sounds better. Modern class A/B, which is by far the most common amp design out there, definitely has better specs, but class D amps still sound good enough to do most jobs. In fact, they have pretty much taken over the pro-sound PA's for touring bands because of their light weight, considering the wattage of some of these amps. I mean the price per watt ratio and the lbs/watt both are lower for the most part. Class D is also used at the other extreme - small computer sound and headphone amps.

Sorry... that's about all I know about it.
Go to the Crown website to see what I mean. It's amazing to see all the different product lines for pro sound they make.
http://www.crownaudio.com/usa/amplifiers.html

Last edited:
Awesome .. sounds like what I want.. guessing effects "off " is normal 2 channel ?

Exactly. If you are playing DTS material that has rear and center info it will mix it into the mains so you don't lose anything and for stereo input it will pass it unprocessed. I do that with a couple of Yamaha AVRs I am using strictly for stereo.

I either use 2 channel stereo or "Straight/Direct" mode no processor but my sub works......on PURE mode no processor or subs.

Last edited:
I think Straight and Pure came along well after the V995 which only has the Effect On/Off IIRC. My V1s have Processor Direct which cuts out the Bass Extension so I don't use that one on my desktop system.

I think Straight and Pure came along well after the V995 which only has the Effect On/Off IIRC. My V1s have Processor Direct which cuts out the Bass Extension so I don't use that one on my desktop system.

OK I was not sure what year model his AVR was made, my bad. My 2004 RX-V2400 ( non HDMI/HD audio)had them too.

I'm resurrecting this old thread as I am using the V995 for a two speaker set up also! I run them with the "effect" off mode, my assumption is that this mode overrides any of the speaker adjustments mentioned above and that it just becomes a simple two channel system. I am however running into a very annoying issue. If I want to listen at a low volume I have to crank the receiver up a bit to engage the speakers evenly and then bring the volume down. If I try to start at a low volume it will not engage the speakers, or it will only engage one of them. I ended up buying a second V995 on Ebay hoping it was a defective amp that I have, turns out the replacement one has the same problem. Any thoughts?

Try cleaning the volume pot? It takes a bit of work to get to it.

I'm resurrecting this old thread as I am using the V995 for a two speaker set up also! I run them with the "effect" off mode, my assumption is that this mode overrides any of the speaker adjustments mentioned above and that it just becomes a simple two channel system. I am however running into a very annoying issue. If I want to listen at a low volume I have to crank the receiver up a bit to engage the speakers evenly and then bring the volume down. If I try to start at a low volume it will not engage the speakers, or it will only engage one of them. I ended up buying a second V995 on Ebay hoping it was a defective amp that I have, turns out the replacement one has the same problem. Any thoughts?

I had the 992 at one point. Make sure EFFECT OFF shows on the screen and you will be in 2-channel mode. These were very good home theater amps, but left a lot to be desired when used for hi-fi listening.

Back
Top Bottom