The yamaha pc4002m has finally arrived

walleyeny

The yamaha pc4002m & Now with A Threshold FET 10HL

Well it came today . The UPS man struggled till we helped him . The case it came in 140 lb total . the Amp looks O.K . I can't wait to try it out letting it warm up in the room before trying it out. Very cold today in the UPS truck . Just received the Pre amp.

Attachments

• SDC10148.jpg
    SDC10148.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 174
  • SDC10146.jpg
    SDC10146.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 143
  • SDC10145.jpg
    SDC10145.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Congrats,
I remember when mine came, what a beast to move around. I don't move it often. You may want to put some space between the components and your amp that you have stacked on top of it. It does put out some heat.

Enjoy it.

Kim

Congrats!

Well oiled.

Take the front louvered panels off and clean out those nasty air filters.

I would take them off before starting it up anyway lest they disintegrate and blow through everything. Make sure there's adequate clearance in the rear for the fan exhaust.

I think I had 4 or 5 of those in my garage once upon a time. Seller actually drove them up from Vegas to Denver for us. cdfac ended up selling his before taking delivery. I rocked two of them bridged for a while, then decided to part with one. If I recall, it may have even been KimG that got one of them from cdfac or I.

That amp in the stack is a PC2200M which will be heading on barter town . I agree I just listened to the PC4002M AHH NICE !!! The PC2200M is a good one also , but I think something just pushed it out of the way . That is fantastic you have one good for you ! Yes the amp on the heat sink gets warm . The PC2200M stays cool ! Thank you for the tip . And thank you all for suggesting me to get the amp , I would have never known ! The PC4002M has a tight bass , , clean more meat in the sound . detail , WOW NICE . Now this is all new to me getting into much better sound . I have no clue how the PC4002M ranks aganst other well known amps . I never heard them . I went from M-85 ,to AK members recommending PC2200M , then recommending the PC4002M !

I think I had 4 or 5 of those in my garage once upon a time. Seller actually drove them up from Vegas to Denver for us. cdfac ended up selling his before taking delivery. I rocked two of them bridged for a while, then decided to part with one. If I recall, it may have even been KimG that got one of them from cdfac or I.

yep, KimG took mine. i believe i had a cash shortage come up during that acquisition process (didn't those amps come from Vegas?), but i would definitely love to hear one someday. it's a very nicely built amp. i recently worked on a P2500 that i sounded quite nice and it's only a red-headed stepchild of the 4002M.

This one came from a past member Aker Neanderthal {rip 2011 } His daughter sold it to me . And the owner before him well known AKer JBLNUT , and before him a recording studio in NYC ! I think its really neat to see the the entire history ! Kicker of the whole story The { ORIGINAL OWNERS } Recording Sudio in NYC [be neat if Jblnut knew the name of it } well they had two of them . I just found out that that is the 2nd one that I purchased is the brother { the two amps will be reunited after all these years} I have another PC4002m on its way soon. Total luck getting two of them and found both the same day .

This one came from a past member Aker Neanderthal {rip 2011 } His daughter sold it to me . And the owner before him well known AKer JBLNUT , and before him a recording studio in NYC ! I think its really neat to see the the entire history ! Kicker of the whole story The { ORIGINAL OWNERS } Recording Sudio in NYC [be neat if Jblnut knew the name of it } well they had two of them . I just found out that that is the 2nd one that I purchased is the brother { the two amps will be reunited after all these years} I have another PC4002m on its way soon. Total luck getting two of them and found both the same day .
Sorry to hear about Neanderthal. I was rarely on AK from late 2009 through 2012.

Congratulations on getting a very fine amp!

Thank You all , Well been a bit , well I think the new amplifier may be a bit SICK . IT is with out a doubt the best amplifier I have ever owned . The sound is not in your face . A bit reserved but in a good way , you can hear every word { clearly } bass {outstanding tight , someone said it before can drive a nail in wood } The music is like the other half of the band is back to play { hear things never heard before } Now the symptoms , as the amplifier is playing , looking at it the left side on top gets double as warm as the other side .Also others mentioned that the fan has never gone on my do after 4-5 hours playing . And for it being such a beast {watts } it seems { haven't gone crazy blow my eardrums or speakers } seems a bit laid back . does the amp pick really up like a {pioneer SX1250 } after a certain point on the volume control ? Also I'm using a Yamaha c-85 , I just purchased a Threshold FET 10 HL , will I notice a difference on the pre amplifier in sound ? Made some upgrades past month . Any information and opinions I could use . I'm 10
miles from buffalo N.Y .any techs with in a 10-250 mile radius anybody recommend ?
I have another PC4002M eventually will be getting it . Maybe wait to hear if any the difference in sound ? I'm a huge fan of Yamaha gear { Honda & Yamaha great products for anything } . Any advice , opinions , information would be grateful .

I can tell you that the 4002's run a lot hotter than the 2200 or 2002's - most likely because the 4002 is literally two 2002s in a similar sized package. If you open them both up, you'll see almost no wasted space in the 4002, whereas the 2200/2002 has some free space around the transformers. However, I *never* heard the 4002's fan come on in my house, even after some extended listening at ear-ringing volume (stupid fun as they say). I would say don't worry too much about it - they have thermal sensors and will shut down if they get too hot (if the fan isn't working).

As to your point about "picking up" at a certain level, you need to understand what's happening. Many amps (and speakers actually) will change their sound as they run out of power or power handling. This is referred to as "dynamic compression" and I guess for some people it's equated with the sound of "cranking it". Some may like this (and some do, very much) but with your setup you are not going to get that. You're just going to get more and more music until you realize (or not) that you're in the hearing damage range.

Be very careful with ultra-powerful setups as you can get very, very loud and not realize it because the sound never changes and you don't get that dynamic compression sound that tells you "it's loud".

This last part I know all too well from my own system. It's capable (even now without two 4002's) of truly scary levels of output without a hint of strain.

jblnut

Last edited:
You said it no strain at all ... The fans went on twice I have it on the floor maybe better ventilation . Next to a stack of audio gear. Thinking about it you are right the sound does not change , its really hard to describe unless you experience it . I tell you one thing anybody looking for an amp that to drive any speaker this is it . NO DOUBT . I 'm going to open the amp up and take a peek . It is total effortless like you said . I have to say it is nothing like I expected , " ITS BETTER " The sound is not like I'm used to . The way I used to hear the music every amp was kinda in your face , This amp is the opposite . Best way to describe it you hear someone singing , now its more well like a speech . Again you have to experience the sound . I would like t know how it holds itself against
amps like Threshold , Pass Labs , Jeff Rowland . Gosh I heard Threshold amps this year And the sound was not like the PC4002. I only heard them for about 15 minutes but I think I would have remembered if the sound was like the PC4002m . For anybody that has ADS speakers try to experience them with some ass kicking amps .I found out this year why you don't need controls on a pre amp ,You know you have a great amplifier when it you never ever have to touch the sound . Its the first time that I ever said Holy
s--- . I will for sure watch the sound level . Again you have to experience the sound to understand what Jblnut has explained to me . AND HE SHOULD KNOW IT WAS HIS AMPLIFIER AT ONE TIME . Again anybody have any idea how it would hold its own against other high end amps , I would like to know . Do I keep looking for other amplifiers or iis it very good where I'm at ?

You're on the journey now - enjoy the ride! There is no "better" there is only "different" and you alone will decide what you like. I ended up going with tubes based on my speakers, my room and my tastes. But with different speakers and room I might have kept those amps forever. I will say their bass control has never been equaled in my system and probably never will be.

As you get into the upper ranges of vintage SS gear with names like Threshold, Pass labs, McIntosh, etc you will hear different ideas on what designers thought was the best sound. Some may exceed the 4002s in certain areas but as a whole I think what you have is nearly impossible to beat for the money. You will see that if you pick up other amps to try and better what you have.

Personally - and I did this myself - I'd spend some money on the preamp and source components now to see how far you can take what you have. Only circle back and replace the amps once you have everything up to the level of the 4002. This was a very expensive cost no object design that was made for the demands of studios and sound reinforcement. You will be able to clearly hear the differences a new preamp will make.

Jblnut

Wow , I would rather be quite ,humble , and say thank you to all . I see the point ! I hope my sign language {down the road } will be better than my key board skills ! Thanks a ton JBLNUT !

as far as the temperature goes, i think you will find that one of the channels measures either high or low in bias compared to the nominal value. it's no rush to fix, since the amp does have thermally controlled fans which haven't had to kick on yet, but you will want to take care of that at some point.

Finally received the Threshold Pre amp . Hooked it up . Have to say can't believe how it greatly improved the music . It was a rather big expense to , but you have to experience it to understand the improvement in sound . Another learning experience .It really changed the sound of the PC4002. Thanks to Rich on leading me toward the Threshold gear !

Back
Top Bottom