I want to recap my ns690s

Jerryfan

AK Member
I just got a set of 690 mk1! I like them! I really want to see what a recap and 5 way binding post will do. I'm running them with a mcintosh 4100, that was bought from audio classics a couple years ago. Well...that's what the guy told me I bought it off of. It has the audio classics box and a real wood cabinet and the face plate looks brand new. I don't know anything about electronics but I liked what the bob crites crossovers did to my kg4s. I feel like they should sound better at higher volume. What caps should I use? Should I save my money for mundorfs or should I just get mine sonicaps? I feel like I can get greater clarity out of these babys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 54
Will at 2.7uf work for the 2.5uf, will a 3.3uf work for a
3.5uf. If so I'm going to order a full set of claritycap ESR. Once I sell my crites modified kg4s.

You can run pairs in parallel to get closer.

2.2uf + 0.33uF in parallel for 2.53uf

3.3uF + 0.22uF in parallel for 3.52uf

These are Obbligato Gold caps in 630v, I used these caps in my speaker crossovers (not Yamaha speakers), they have a smooth, richly detailed and slightly warm natural character. (burn-in is around 100 hrs)

Last edited:
The Clarity ESA's you have ya' eye on are a smaller cap than the Obbligato's, maybe paralleling those will fit, the smaller value caps are pretty small (.22 & .33uf).

You can also use a much better cap for the small values if budget permits, so they are effectively used as by-pass caps.

The only .22 and .33 I see for claritycap is 630v, Thant makes them bigger than the 2.2 and 2.3. Would it be ok to use higher voltage? I look at other brands I can't seem to find and 250v .22 or .33. Again, I really don't know much about this stuff. If anyone is handy with a soldering iron in Chicago let me know. I'd happily use an AK members service for cash or trade.

ClarityCap 18.0 mfd ESA Range Polypropylene Caps
Product ID: esa18
Weight : 0.39 lbs
Remove

$28.99 $57.98

ClarityCap 2.7 mfd ESA Range Polypropylene Capacitor 250V
Product ID: ESA250V-2.7
Weight : 0.04 lbs
Remove

$7.40 $14.80

ClarityCap 0.33 mfd ESA Range Polypropylene Caps
Product ID: esa0.33
Weight : 0.06 lbs
Remove

$8.55 $17.10

ClarityCap 0.22 mfd ESA Range Polypropylene Caps
Product ID: esa0.22
Weight : 0.06 lbs
Remove

$7.90 $15.80

ClarityCap 3.3 mfd ESA Range Polypropylene Capacitor 250V
Product ID: ESA250V-3.3
Weight : 0.04 lbs
Remove

$8.50 $17.00

ClarityCap 33 mfd ESA Range Polypropylene Capacitor 250V
Product ID: ESA250V-33
Weight : 0.22 lbs
Remove

Do you guys think all this will fit on the crossovers? And get back in the box?
I just ordered the binding post. With someone's affirmation I've got the right caps and they will all fit, I'll order these tomorrow.

J, are the current caps

33 uf
18 mf
2.5 uf
3.5 uf

?

If so I think you meant to have 2.2 uf instead of 2.7 uf to go with the .33 uf to make your 25 uf, is that right?

As far as fitting, someone else is needed here, as I am not familiar with the speakers, sometimes ya' have to get a little creative with fitting. But you are wise to ask the other owners here. or some pics on the crossover and where it resides..
Might help to add the dimensions of each cap, length and diameter... so the guys can work with that.

Last edited:
Will at 2.7uf work for the 2.5uf, will a 3.3uf work for a
3.5uf. If so I'm going to order a full set of claritycap ESR. Once I sell my crites modified kg4s.

Those are the values I used.

FYI, those values were closer to the original spec than the old caps they replaced!

ClarityCap 18.0 mfd ESA Range Polypropylene Caps
Product ID: esa18
Weight : 0.39 lbs
Remove

$28.99 $57.98

ClarityCap 33 mfd ESA Range Polypropylene Capacitor 250V
Product ID: ESA250V-33
Weight : 0.22 lbs
Remove

$34.35 $68.70

Mundorf 2.7 mfd Supreme Caps
Product ID: ms2.7
Weight : 0.12 lbs
Remove

$23.30 $46.60

Mundorf 3.3 mfd Supreme Caps
Product ID: ms3.3
Weight : 0.12 lbs
Remove

$25.40 $50.80

I just ordered these. I hope the fit!

These are the dimentions of those caps.
18uf / 250VDC, ESA Series, 40mm D x 45mm L

33uf / 250VDC, ESA Series, 47mm D x 60mm L

2.7uf / 600V, M-CAP® Supreme, 30mm W x 56mm L

3.3uf / 600V, M-CAP® Supreme, 30mm W x 56mm L

Hot glue and zip ties are both handy when fixing components to a crossover.

Take ya' time and go slowly. Once done they will take some time to settle, so don't go by the initial impressions.

With the orientation, go by the writing on the caps, have the signal travel in the same direction as the writing on the caps. As in this pic...
All the best.
Edit: The reason for this, is the direction of the writing on the cap points to the foil end, not always.... but more often than not.

Attachments

• mcap_sup.jpg
    mcap_sup.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Jerryfa664426 said:
I was just reading Belgianbrians ns1000 recap thread. I see he hot glues them on top of each other.

Yes, when replacing electrolytic with polymer based caps, "fit" takes on a new meaning. They will never "fit" in the original layout of the crossover.

When I did my NS-690s, I had them standing on end and held the cylinders together with a really strong rubber band. You get to be an artist. :)

This is very interesting. I have both NS-1000 and 690II and they are all original. I would be scared to tamper with them because I think they are great "as is". Keep us posted on your results. I would be very interested in your opinion if they improved.

I will let everyone know how they turn out. I feel I can hear that they are not operating to their fullest potential, even though they still sound good. Putting bob crites crossovers with sonicaps made an improvement to my klipsch kg4s. All the parts should be here by the end of the week. I have a guy lined up to do the work, I imagine it will be a couple weeks before I get back to you guys.

BTW
Are there resistors in the crossover that would benefit from being swapped out? I can't find a schematic.

You can always leave the crossovers outside the box, 'outboard', if you will.

Mount them on a board, and run wires inside the box, to the drivers. Leave the board on the floor, or fasten it to the back of the cabinet, if you prefer.

Back
Top Bottom