Mod Squad Scroe

Have you actually connected it up to a power amp to test or just plugged it in to see if anything warms up?

I plugged it in,felt no warmth in the unit or separate power supply.(no indication lights this unit)Checked power supply fuse,(good)Plugged another unit into the back...nada.By this time Mr. McCormack had responded,sent me to his Tech,Mr.Steve Pappin at Clifton Audio(no affiliation)This unit is WAY over my head!(as Most)I'm needing a pre,this I'm thinking is great one.I'll gladly let the pros deal with this!I've heard very good reviews about Steve and Steve on this forum.Wish me luck...The fets are hard to come by if they're out!

I plugged it in,felt no warmth in the unit or separate power supply.(no indication lights this unit)Checked power supply fuse,(good)Plugged another unit into the back...nada.

If you aren’t getting power out of those unswitched power sockets on the back, then you aren’t getting power into the unit. The power for those outlets should diverge before the power supply. If it was me, I’d take an Ohmmeter and check both ends of the power cord for continuity, the problem could (just maybe) be that simple.

I've sent it to Clifton Audio,that can't be a bad thing.It needs going over.Steve McCormack will be advising Mr Pappin.They work closely together,and have discussed this unit.It's one of Steves earlier mods I think.It's a Spacial Coherance Preamp TVA-1.Kinda rare in itself.But Steve took it to a new level.I couldn't get the knobs off to get the case opened to see inside.I think there are areas buried in epoxy,very secretive about his mods back then.They will advise me on what it needs.The consensus I'm thinking is it can be fixed,but they don't make the fets anymore,so if there is a problem,it will be a problem.They are both highly regarded,elsewhere,and on this forum if you do a search,I'm thinking it couldn't be in better hands!I'm very lucky to have found the unit,but I did some research...took a gamble.I had a good feeling,I just hope the fets are good and I get to enjoy this unit in my system.I have been researching this baby relentlessly,and there is very little out there.I'm just gonna have to be patient,see if it can be fixed,then I'm sure they will answer any questions I have on it.Because there is no info,only they know!So,I'm just chillin'prayin'my luck and Karma continue!I'm just a 54 year old workin' man...Just wanna hear some sweet sounds from my system...and I'm very close!
These are some very nice guys,and I can't recommend them enough if you requite some help!

Last edited:
I will find out soon enough.Funny,the original builder is living close to me,just over in Orlando.I think I favorited his info.Now in the medical field if I recall.I'll see if Steven will get some pics of the insides as he's working on it.I don't plan on opening it If they get it working!It was problematic opening before,I couldn't get the knobs off.
Tromatic,have you seen/heard one of these?

I will find out soon enough.Funny,the original builder is living close to me,just over in Orlando.I think I favorited his info.Now in the medical field if I recall.I'll see if Steven will get some pics of the insides as he's working on it.I don't plan on opening it If they get it working!It was problematic opening before,I couldn't get the knobs off.
Tromatic,have you seen/heard one of these?

Loooooooonnnnggggggg time ago, the original, not the ModSquad. Had to have been at a long-gone shop in Minneapolis. Jeebus, almost 40 years ago. Time flies. Can't tell you a thing about the sound, sorry! I was ogling all the Magnepans and Yamaha M-2's. Man, stereo shops back in those days were dimly lit caves full of mysterious and interesting dials, lights and meters. Looking at the gear was as big a part as listening to it back in the 'goodle days! I must get my time machine fixed ASAP.

Hope they get it up and running.

Ok!This is off back to Cali to Mr.Steve Pappin of Clifton Audio to be brought back to life!He mailed me and told me he and Steve McCormack were discussing my Phoenix over the weekend!I'm just tickled about this and can't wait to hear the Spacial Coherance through my system!It sure looks like I'll be forced into upgrading the whole system to match this jewel...Interconnects,caps in the Transnova,caps in the Pi's.I'm on a budget, so any advice and ideas on how to proceed greatly appreciated!

If you're on a budget, interconnects are the last place you should be spending money. Even if you weren't on a budget...

If you're on a budget, interconnects are the last place you should be spending money. Even if you weren't on a budget...

What brand of coat hanger do you prefer? OP, don't worry about modding anything until you have a working preamp in your hands.

Yes,well,I'm pretty adept at finding bargains.I have long past having to purchase new items.I have several systems I'm presently upgrading.It's a constant process.This main is my priority,but I have several item on lawaway from my business customers.I do some wheeling,dealing on the auction sites to support my addiction!Buying used does present some technological problems for me though!
It has been working pretty well so far...Don't see the need for change yet,it's better than betting on Horses!ha!

Last edited:
Update on Mod Squad Phoenix Preamp,letter from Steve Pappin, Clifton Audio (No Afiliation):
"Hi Tony,
Yes, your pre-amp will rise from the ashes, not quite that extreme, but fun to think about.
Steve and I have been talking about the Phoenix and I found out how to get inside. It's amazing and has some components that are really weird. All of the data is in Steve's head. I will become his student. What I learn from the repair will be the only other record of how this amplifier works. I will write a paper when I'm done.
We are scheduled to get together next week.
Best Regards,
Steve"

This is pretty cool!Just goes to show if you keep searching,leave no bases uncovered,you can still come up with some great gear these days!I'm on pins and needles waiting to see if this baby works,I'm sure it couldn't be in better hands!
Wish me Luck!

The Phoenix Has Risen

I got this back from California a week ago, it has totally transformed my main system. I have a lousy shaped listening area, cathedral ceilings, large L shaped, way to much furniture. I'm getting serious transparency and mids and Highs I hadn't thought possible with the AR 10's.The room is filled with music. I'm hearing things on Albums, CD's, and Tapes I never have.It has Gain controls which I'm having fun getting used to.

Attachments

• sn 00646.jpg
    sn 00646.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 37
Thanks for the update. Interesting piece of gear. Odd that line has a 2V output limit but phono can go to 10V out. And then the sonic changes based on the gain settings, almost like tone controls. Eclectic 70s high end gear, now at its best.

Before Nudies and after

Here's before, after and rear view.

Attachments

• sn 00646 005 (1).jpg
    sn 00646 005 (1).jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 42
  • sn 00646 021.jpg
    sn 00646 021.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 38
  • sn 00646 022.jpg
    sn 00646 022.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 30
Way to go Scoville. I love when people rescue vintage gear, expecially when it is really special vintage gear.

I have had both my McCormack Amps done by Steve Pappin at Clifton. He is a joy to work with and not only really knowledgable about electronics but very meticulous as well. Awesome repair shop!!! :thmbsp:

Simply, Ha! I think anybody here would have rescued it for $30 given the opportunity.The restore of course cost a bit but the results are simply the best I've heard in my limited sampling.It seems to be getting better.Of course I'm continuing to upgrade the system,just added a rotel rcd-855.That help by leaps and bounds!

Blue shadow,the gains are something new to me.I'm getting the best results at the recommended setting by Mr. Pappain.They have helped on a couple of old records.they do change the tone a bit.I mostly listen to classic rock,and blues.I need to expand my collection to some jazz ,and perhaps some interesting classical.
Yes simplysoung,both Steves were top notch gentlemen and went overboard to help me with this unit!

Back
Top Bottom