Looking for SS receiver

ryanward84

So I'm looking for a receiver to be my main power for a turntable setup. My speakers are Klipsch Heresy I's, Epicure 100's, Boston Acoustics A100's and JBL L56's.

I want something in the 30 - 50W range and with a tuner. I prefer vintage, budget is $150. Suggestions?

Careful about anything that looks like buying/selling/soliciting outside of Barter Town.

I recently acquired a Sony STR-GX90ES that has really impressed me. You may find one in your price range. I also think a Harman Kardon 730 or the aforementioned Yamaha CR-620 or if you are lucky, a CR-820 would work well.

Now, $150 will probably not get you a receiver that has been refreshed. You may want to consider that when buying. Older receivers really need to be tested before hooking them up to your prize speakers.

There are thousands of receivers that will work. Questions:
1) Where are you?
2) What type of music do you like?
3) Besides FM, what music sources are you planning to use, such as turntable, iPod, etc.
4) Any special features you want or need?

If you are going to buy on line, keep in mind that you will pay $30 - $40 shipping. So make sure it's insured. Too many pieces of equipment, esp turntables, arrive in pieces due to poor packing. If you join AK, you will have access to barter town, it's worth it.

After coming off a "compare tear" that lasted a full two years? For that price range an Onkyo TX-4500 MKII is so far ahead of most, and a fighter for best with much higher valued gear.

If you don't need a tuner there is a Yamaha CA 800 in BarterTown right now that is in your price range.

After coming off a "compare tear" that lasted a full two years? For that price range an Onkyo TX-4500 MKII is so far ahead of most, and a fighter for best with much higher valued gear.

No aux input though that is more than compensated for with the 3 tape monitors.

The CA-800 in Class A is really something a little bit special. Heck, in Class A, it might even play nice with the Heresys.

DSC_0180 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Otherwise -- the Heresys are hard, danged hard, to make happy with a ss amp or receiver. The canonical recommendation, for years, was the hk 430. The hk430 is a very, very handsome and capable little receiver that, while not exactly common, isn't too hard to find nor too expensive, either. An hk430 wouldn't be a bad choice for those loudspeakers, either, I'd opine.

whatmore by mhardy6647, on Flickr

(obviously, just my own, albeit hardly humble, opinions)

First, contact Bob Crites about improving the HIs and then find a receiver or amp. I did this with a set of HIIs and there was a world of difference in sound quality. I found the preferred amps before and after were quite different.

As for power pick up an early Sherwood US made Sherwood. These have model numbers beginning with S and 4 digits after. Also the CP line such as the CP7650. Though imported they are extremely reliable and sound great with the HI. I use a Sherwood S9500c integrated amp with my HIIs and it replace mu McIntosh system without regret.

Thanks for the feedback all. I am scouring the local scene and I've come across a Yamaha CR-620, Kenwood KR-5400, Sherwood S-7210, and Technics SA-5360.

I like the Sherwood but at only 26w I think I might want a little more.

And yes I should probably get the membership and check out Barter Town.

The S-7210 is a very nice little receiver with an amazingly capable tuner.
26 wpc will be at least adequate for those loudspeakers -- and borderline overkill for Heresys.
Brian offers good advice on the Heresys -- there's a reason that folks like Crites and others offer replacement pretty much everything for the Heritage Klipsch loudspeakers.

The Sherwood is a few hours away but I did pick up a Pioneer SX-636 today, also 26w and it sounds great!

a nice piece, as well. Very attractive, too... in many respects, I like the cosmetics of that (last) line of 'blackout dial' Pioneers best of all, aesthetically.

I can drive my Heresy IIs to volumes my ears can not tolerate after a few minutes with my Sherwood S9500c amp that pumps out 50 watts rms both channels driven. My wife used to come ro the basement from the third floor wanting to know why I wanted to sit with the orchestra all the time. That is, after I turned it down.

The Pioneer is a might harsh sounding, not a good thing to mate to the Heresy long term. The Sherwoods are smoother sounding with less edge and harshness. You may want to take the trip as I found the S7650 and SEL200 Sherwoods to sound very good on the HIIs even before getting the Crites mod.

I tend to find something enjoyable in most vintage takes on sound. (Some exceptions and specs seem to have little to do with it.) The early Pioneer sound in that little 'ol SX-636 has boatloads of light classy warm and the sparkle with those highs reaching just above? Special. The Sherwood's mentioned have the same thing going on too.

Clarity is one thing, but if "bright" bounces off your skull while your hearing it (?)....so many of the early takes with these small guys approach on sound can avoid it well enough to be downright special. (Nothing more satisfying than knowing "OMG value that competes" is shining well right there in front of you. I just came off that 2 year "compare tear" and I can think of several small receivers that rule....features and wattage "as king" can just be another hurdle to overcome when all you want to do is listen well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom