Epicure Model 1's....

skyjade

Hey everyone...I got a chance for a pair of Epicure Model 1's but they need about 5 refoams done...are these even worth it?
Thanks!

The short answer is almost certainly yes. So is the long answer.
I'm assuming the 1s are the later Harmon era column models. They aren't the classic Epicures, but sound very fine, whether because or despite being newer.

If they are these http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epicure-1.htm

then most definitely yes I had the model 2's the next step down and thought they were a really nice speaker. In fact I kind of liked the dome tweeter in these as much as the inverted domes. A really nice veneer as well. It looks like the 1's used some kind of eq box as well

Those were the ones I was thinking of also. I had a pair of the 2s, and they were at least as good as the ADS 1290s, which are highly regarded, and the 1s should be significantly better yet.
So don't let lack of classic status deter you.

Yes they are the one pictured. Sounds like they have three that need to be refoamed. Would these work best as home theater or as audio speakers?

While I'm not familiar with the entire line, I've got some Model 4s. Surprisingly nice speakers!

Well, I have them. The subs need to be redone and one midrange needs it too. Should I just do all of them? Also, they sound kinda bright upon first listen, albeit brief just to test them. Grills and cabinets are in really good shape, kinda surprised. Any other TLC they could/should get?

Well, I have them. The subs need to be redone and one midrange needs it too. Should I just do all of them?

Absolutely. If it does not crumble ASAP it will still not suspended the cone right anyway. Do them all.

Also, they sound kinda bright upon first listen, albeit brief just to test them.

Thats because your bass response is not right and make the speakers unbalanced low to high. Once you refoam all the drivers it will probably be much more balanced.

those are cool. Look forward to hearing your assessment after they are done.

Well, I have them. The subs need to be redone and one midrange needs it too. Should I just do all of them? Also, they sound kinda bright upon first listen, albeit brief just to test them. Grills and cabinets are in really good shape, kinda surprised. Any other TLC they could/should get?

oh my goodness heck yes! my buddy has a pair of those and they are up there with the best sounding speakers i have personally heard in that style of speaker, very detailed sounding and surprisingly good bass, i highly recommend giving them a proper re foam if everything else is ok sonically i guarantee you wont be disappointed.

those are on my short list of speakers to look out for good snag!

Last edited:
Had a pair that were in pretty rough shape. I did a full refoam and refinish of the cabinets but they didn't meet WAF. They sounded pretty good.

epi1a3.jpg

Ah gotcha! I think I may luck out there...she digs the vintage looking stuff over the plastic stuff these days. She just questions the amount of or number of setups or speakers. But once the music starts, she doesn't mind a bit! So these things are a pretty decent sounding setup right? I'm gonna try and find some kits and get going on them.

do some checking on the proper glue for the surrounds. It takes a certain kind due to the poly cones. I don't remember what it was, but you can't just use Elmer's on them.

Not difficult to refoam, and that all inclusive kit seems like a reasonable deal -- you could do it for less, but it would take some leg work and the foams might be only approximately right, so this seems a simpler way.
My experience is that the redwood veneer soaks up an astonishing amount of oil before its fully restored. Looks great when done, though.

Back
Top Bottom