Recommended Modern Speakers

Epos Epic 2 speakers are excellent! These speakers won me over compared to Vandersteen 1C, B&W CM1, Wharfdale 10.2.
The lowend is excellent, not too much but more than enough, its tight and to the point. The mids are very natural and the highs are very comfortable with the newly designed 25mm softdome tweeter, not harsh or bright at all. I do not experience any listener fatigue at all.
They are a 4ohm speaker and very efficient at 90dB/1m. Excellent features too for their price range. Gold plated terminals and bi-wire capable too and two grille options.

When I work from home, my desk is about 25' away and I listen for probably 8-10 hours while working and they are a joy, very pleasant and again, no fatigue to my ears....only sonic pleasure!

Highly recommended.

Cheers

I agree about the Epic 2s, I don't really know what was going through my head when I sold them... lol

With that in mind, even though I posted a thread saying I would like to get full size floorstanders, I think I should just get another pair of bookshelf speakers to replace the Epic 2s. I'm really liking the look of those Polk LSiM703s, and from reviews they might be slightly laid back in the treble which I like.

I'm really impressed with my new pair of Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 monitors, with the matching stands they are beautiful and are crazy good at the cost....used a virtual no brainer.
I saw mention of Vandersteen Quattro speakers, my dad has the wood signature version and the really perform well, he has the 2 matched Subs aswell. Not cheap but the do most things well.

I bought a pair o' Tekton Lore S speakers, and find them to be a great value. They seem to be a good match for the space I have, and I find them to sound excellent. They're fairly revealing of lower quality recordings as well, as I suppose any good speaker will do. I haven't had them long, so I'm just getting acquainted to their sound. I just played the first Garbage (heh) CD, and honestly was wondering if these speakers were the ones for me. then I put on the soundtrack for the movie The Commitments. This sounds much, much better. Night and day. I'm somewhat surprised at how dead that Garbage CD sounds.

Nonetheless, I find these speakers to be a good purchase. Can't really crank it here, but they're good for mid-low volume levels.

John

Totem model 'One'

Had Elac S7 for couple of years coupled with AMC 3100a, soon fatigue caught up. switched over to KEF Q4, couldn't stick to Q4 also, ended with Totem Model one, true monitor, clean mid range, needs lots of power to make it sing to reach its full potential, couldn't be more happy than this!!!

lore 2s need breakin time and sound better with each passing day. wait till 50 hrs or so rolls around. you will definately like them so much better. I know I did.
best speaker buy I ever made in 40 yrs. except maybe klipsch forte' s, which I sold after getting the Lore 2s which I will never part with. they are just sooo good.

Haven't heard them yet but based on comments and gut feeling I have the Ryan 610s on my radar as an upgrade to my Proac 115s.

Anybody familiar with these?

Put me down for Tekton as well. I have the "entry" level M-Lore and they continue to impress me on a daily basis. For the money, I seriously doubt that they can be beat. They put a spanking on anything even close to the $649 price range.

anybody seen / heard these? genuine 8" woofer 3-way bookshelf speakers. i would love to hear them. i have a soft spot for a good 8" woofer.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BYMIT
bymit_port.jpg

ahaha Really??

MMG Maggies

For a design that's still in production today, with a bunch of upgrades they've added over the years... the MMGs are still an incredible value. At that price point I'd think everyone should at least take a listen to the "cheap" Magnepans. Yeah, they could use more bass, but the imaging/detail from those MMGs still amazes me for a $600 speaker.

I could not agree more. The MMG's are fabulous speakers that play well above there price point, I had a pair that I let go because of a move and a smaller listening room. I've missed that sound ever since, so much so that I bought the Super MMG that pairs them with a DWM bass panel. I've listened to a "gunned" pair and and was impressed enough to hold a place in John's queue. With my smaller room now treated they are coming back.

Another worthy option are the Salk WOW1 bookshelves, $1200 a pair, Salk's custom craftsmanship is a sight to behold! The Salk's hold my heart but the Maggie's hold my soul.

I ventured into modern speakers with Polk Monitor 40s. I know they are a mass produced item, but I was pretty surprised when I heard the sound from such a small enclosure. They are easily obtained for about $125... maybe less at times. These speakers showed me that modern speaker technology is pretty good, seeing (hearing?) that these perform at the level they do.

Sure there are lots of other speakers that will beat these out, but for those of us who can't afford many of the models suggested in this thread, the Polk Monitor 40s pack a decent punch for not a lot of money... and a pretty small size/footprint for those whose space is limited.

+1 on Magneplanar MMGs. $599 with 60-day satisfaction-guaranteed free trial, from the factory. They need 3-4 feet of space behind them. They are the best new speaker bargain I know of, but not for everyone, hence the free trial. Warning: Planar speakers can be habit-forming.

:music:

Last edited:
Klipsch Heresy III's. I have had mine for about 6 weeks. I could not be more pleased. Looking forward to pairing them with my new Outlaw X12 sub...which should be arriving soon.

Anyone have any suggestions for speakers to audition for around US1500/pr? I've kind of started stopping in places and haven't taken a "speaker tester" cd yet so I haven't narrowed anything down much. The Internet only brands aren't going to do it for me because I want to hear them first. I want floorstanders, but they're replacing stand mounts with a sub. I don't mind having a sub, but I kind of want to get away from it, at least for awhile. I've looked at B&W 683 S2, which sound great but are just about the ugliest speakers B&W has ever made, Martin Logan Motion 20's, Monitor Audio Silver 6's and Golden Ear Triton 7's. My room is 17X13X9 with carpeting and furniture, and there's some openings that seem strategically placed that really prevent a lot of sound from bouncing back at me from behind or on the sides. I mostly listen to records, my receiver is a Yamaha 75 WPC, stereo (not AV). Any ideas of stuff to check out would be welcome!

S-F Venere 1.5's and they also look good.

Thanks for the recommendation. Those are gorgeous and they're definitely in my price range but they aren't floorstanders. I'd have to drive three hours to check them out, but I might just because they look so good.

Back
Top Bottom